Next cycle, hopefully something big and beautiful will be proposed here. It's a hop & skip to a subway station and no houses nearby to raise the ire of nearby residents. Two point towers along Wellesley, retail at ground level + two low rises or towns and parking access on Breadalbane at the south end of the lot.

I've always thought that this site could make for a really beautiful, unique greenspace.

Just grass for soccer or a dog park (skating rink in the winter), and treelined and bench lined on the outer edges. A small park could be added at the southside near the YMCA.

You know, I'm always on this site thinking build build build. I love watching buildings go up in the core, replacing the trashy parking lots. I love the new architecture (when we can find it). But looking at the aerial shot above in that last photo/map, I can't help but agree with your comment above. How nice would it be to put some green space so close to Yonge.

I emailed Councillor Rae a month ago about this plot. This was the reply:

"I believe you are referring to the lands which are part of the Opera Place development. As part of the overall development approval process, the lands have already been earmarked for a municipal park with similar landscaping to the south Opera Place park (south side of Breadalbane Street abutting the YMCA)."

It looks like in (over)due time we will have some more greenery, although not on the scale I was hoping.

^The greenery is already built (the small patch of grass inside the driveway) so I wouldn't expect more here

From greenleafs email response from Councillor Rae, it doesn't sound like he is talking about the U-shaped driveway from the condominiums on Bay St. I guess this is just one of those things we'll all have to wait and see what happens.

I emailed Councillor Rae a month ago about this plot. This was the reply:

"I believe you are referring to the lands which are part of the Opera Place development. As part of the overall development approval process, the lands have already been earmarked for a municipal park with similar landscaping to the south Opera Place park (south side of Breadalbane Street abutting the YMCA)."

It looks like in (over)due time we will have some more greenery, although not on the scale I was hoping.

That's surprising but it does sound like he's referring to the parcel of land your talking about. The property to the south behind, and next to the YMCA is complete.

Last edited:
From greenleafs email response from Councillor Rae, it doesn't sound like he is talking about the U-shaped driveway from the condominiums on Bay St. I guess this is just one of those things we'll all have to wait and see what happens.

My point being that perhaps Kyle Rae is confused as I just don't see the city picking up the site over the last few months (or whenever the last information on the development application came forth)

I asked specifically about the whole area that is currently fenced off.

I should also note that in my email to him I expressed a desire for open space that could be used as an athletic field in the summer/fall and as a hockey rink in the winter, with a possibility for a small playground on the YMCA side of the site.

My impression from the email is that when something is built on the site, it will be built on the north end of the development (along Wellesley) and the southern end of the site will contain park space.

Last edited:
Well then this is good news (fingers crossed).

Any new park space south of Bloor is such a blessing for Toronto and its residents.

My impression from the email is that when something is built on the site, it will be built on the north end of the development (along Wellesley) and the southern end of the site will contain park space.

That sounds very close to how the Opera Place neighbourhood was planned before Goldlist pulled out of the project.

It does sound to me like confusion on Kyle Rae's part regarding your question. The area within the U-shaped driveway is meant to be turned into a park like the one to the south of it beside the YMCA, but the remainder of the site is meant for a 9 storey slab rental building, as per the title of this thread.

Daily Commercial News

wow ... looks like the abandoned lands east of Bay Club + Allegro are moving forward again! That's a good sign that the Opera Place development will finally be completed in the near future ~ :D

11 Wellesley St. W. (Morguard, 10 + 9s)

APARTMENT BUILDINGS, RETAIL, OFFICE
Proj: 1251884-18
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
PREPARING PLANS
The Opera Place, Phases 5 & 6, West Block, Bay St between Breadalbane and Grosvenor Sts, M5S
$30,000,000 est

Start: July, 2010

Complete: July, 2012

Note: Site plan and conceptual design have been completed by the Architect. Owner is seeking Municipal site plan and zoning approvals. Owner anticipates approvals will be finalized early 2010. Schedules for Working drawings, tender for Gen Cont and construction are undetermined pending approvals. Further update Spring, 2010.

Project: Phase five: nine storey, 19,000 m2 bldg, 170 units; Phase six: 10 storey, 11,000 m2 bldg, 120 units; with ground floor retail/commerical in each.

Scope: 30,000 m²; 10 storeys; 2 structures; 290 units

Development: New

Category: Apartment bldgs; Commercial offices; Retail, wholesale services

First report Thu Aug 24, 2000. Last report Mon Jun 01, 2009.
This report Mon Sep 21, 2009.

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=364ad63e5860f16ce31ffc7738ad34d3d5e3044f&projectid=1251884&region=ontario

Good find Solaris. But as I said in post 2, I still don't understand the rationale for only 10-storeys on this site. It is very close to the subway land and surrounded by very dense, tall buildings. I'm not saying this site is appropriate for supertalls, but surely something ~25 storeys would be acceptable.

I am glad to hear that the development will include retail/commercial. I hope it fronts Wellesley.

With the Wellesley subway station a 3 minute walk away this is an inappropriate development for a prime downtown location that will cause no shadow issues on anyone's homes or schools. This site could handle two 30-40 storey buildings along Wellesley St. W. and either two shorter towers at the south end of the site along Breadalbane Street, or town homes at best. Can the City reject this plan if deemed inappropriate for the location?

Back