Can’t wait until rent control is expanded to buildings built after 2018 so I can rent one of these ;)
...any of the OPEN DOOR units that the City is supporting with "waived DCs and property-taxes" at BLOCK 20 will be rent-stabilized via that program...

PDF - https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/ph/bgrd/backgroundfile-158838.pdf

1643830444725.png

Thank you Jesus! Rental housing RULES!!!!!
It's good seeing more purpose built rentals. IIRC, more are being built in recent years than at any point going back a few decades.

However, I'm not sure this is as "good news" as it seems. It's probably more the case that returns on purpose built rentals have become good enough for devs; aka just another symptom of our dysfunctional housing situation.

However, I'm not sure this is as "good news" as it seems. It's probably more the case that returns on purpose built rentals have become good enough for devs; aka just another symptom of our dysfunctional housing situation.
Exactly, ever since uncle Doug scrapped rent control on newer builds and allowed rents to be jacked up to seemingly limitless amounts annually as long as they have a half-decent excuse, developers realized they now have a new way to gauge people.

Unfortunately a lot of people dont realize this until they actually move into these newer builds, and 3 years pass then they wonder why their rents have been jacked up by 20-30% compared to when they first moved in. The sad thing is, these people think that this is the norm and that's the way things should be when it in fact it is not. I've heard horror stories of people's rents being jacked up 20% 1 year after moving into a new build.

Exactly, ever since uncle Doug scrapped rent control on newer builds and allowed rents to be jacked up to seemingly limitless amounts annually as long as they have a half-decent excuse, developers realized they now have a new way to gauge people.

Unfortunately a lot of people dont realize this until they actually move into these newer builds, and 3 years pass then they wonder why their rents have been jacked up by 20-30% compared to when they first moved in. The sad thing is, these people think that this is the norm and that's the way things should be when it in fact it is not. I've heard horror stories of people's rents being jacked up 20% 1 year after moving into a new build.

Vacancy de-control works, in a high(er) vacancy environment; where landlords face real competition, and tenants experience poor value can and will move.

In 1-4% vacancy market, that just ain't happening.

Even 4.1% is dubious.

We could debate what a fair number is but generally above 5% limits the ability of landlords to implement unreasonable increases.

Therein lies a problem though............how to handle existing tenants, as oppose to vacancy?

Do you allow 'rent control' to exist on/off w/o warning for tenants or landlords based on market conditions?

The case for rent control of some form is fairly compelling, the idea of constant swiveling doesn't sound good for incenting investment or a healthy market.

Is it true that "the loop will soon be replaced by a new portal for streetcars crossing below the rail corridor to the new Villiers Island and Port Lands area". Is there even a projected timeline for that to actually happen?

Is it true that "the loop will soon be replaced by a new portal for streetcars crossing below the rail corridor to the new Villiers Island and Port Lands area". Is there even a projected timeline for that to actually happen?
It is yet another 'thing' connected to the much discussed Queens Quay East LRT. See a long discussion at: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/waterfront-transit-reset-phase-1-study.25504/page-98 I suspect your toddler may be able to be hired as a REAL excavator operator by the time we see 'excavators in the ground"!!

It is yet another 'thing' connected to the much discussed Queens Quay East LRT. See a long discussion at: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/waterfront-transit-reset-phase-1-study.25504/page-98 I suspect your toddler may be able to be hired as a REAL excavator operator by the time we see 'excavators in the ground"!!
He would probably be excited about the prospect, though recently he has moved on from wanting to be a truck driver, and now would like to be a paleontologist.

I think it’s likely we get the Cherry rail tunnel before the QQE line, because they can run the streetcar down the new Broadview extension, cut through the Port Lands, then back up Cherry st. to rejoin King. I know they were also talking about having a Polson loop, can’t recall if that’s in stone.

I think it’s likely we get the Cherry rail tunnel before the QQE line, because they can run the streetcar down the new Broadview extension, cut through the Port Lands, then back up Cherry st. to rejoin King. I know they were also talking about having a Polson loop, can’t recall if that’s in stone.
I doubt strongly that the Cherry link will happen unless connected to the QQE LRT. Plans for that are moving along - no, not as fast as I would like either - and the plan for Cherry is one section of the QQE project. Adding the Broadview extension, bringing a line along Commissioners and then back north on Cherry (plus a link to Leslie Barns) is certainly something that may happen - but not, in my opinion, for decades and I have never seen any serious studies of it.

I doubt strongly that the Cherry link will happen unless connected to the QQE LRT. Plans for that are moving along - no, not as fast as I would like either - and the plan for Cherry is one section of the QQE project. Adding the Broadview extension, bringing a line along Commissioners and then back north on Cherry (plus a link to Leslie Barns) is certainly something that may happen - but not, in my opinion, for decades and I have never seen any serious studies of it.
I’m saying that I think while they’re waiting to solve the east link issue, that Broadview/Portlands/Cherry could go ahead. Also, can’t recall where I read it- but I was super shocked to see something like a 10+ year timeline for that line to the Leslie barns. Not sure the reasoning, but it’s a straight shot with little to no issues for surrounding businesses

I’m saying that I think while they’re waiting to solve the east link issue, that Broadview/Portlands/Cherry could go ahead. Also, can’t recall where I read it- but I was super shocked to see something like a 10+ year timeline for that line to the Leslie barns. Not sure the reasoning, but it’s a straight shot with little to no issues for surrounding businesses
They are NOT waiting to solve the QQE problem, it is currently being worked on actively by both WT and the TTC (why this report on Cherry came to the WTDP) I think the next Report on it is expected at Council later in March or April.. You are right that the line along Commissioners would not be hard to build (though another bridge will be needed over the new Don 'overflow') but it all costs $$$ and it is not a high priority, at the moment.

Is there an optical illusion in the one overhead graphic, or is the track indeed going to be dipping below street level to get under the rail berm?

Back