Nice. Interesting that the neighbourhood render doesn't show 31R Parliament / 'The Ribbon Building.'

I did a Twitter thread about the planning, and the accessibility expert Thea Kurdi had some interesting comments about the interior architecture that’s shown in the renders:

1. Are we certain that the interior image being referred to here is actually in the project? I took a look through the plans and cannot seem to find any terraced seating steps anywhere in the project. There is that large commercial lobby space where they might go and may not be included in the plan, but they would be leading up to residential locker space so that's unlikely. I just can't seem to find what looks like seating steps to a mezzanine in those plans at all.

2. If that condition does exist in the project, I would love to understand if there are better examples of inclusive pubic design that links two levels. I'm sure we're all familiar with that infamous youtube video of a blind man walking around the Ryerson steps and pointing out everything wrong with them from an accessibility point of view. Though this does remain the case, I have been involved in the design of a number of projects that include this type of condition and almost always the best case scenario for accessibility is including a ramp to at least one level of tier. In the case of tiered spaces that link two levels, the only way to make them truly inclusive would be to provide one long ramp to every single tier (takes up way too much space and cost) or providing wheelchair lifts and balustrades to every tier (very costly and not great looking at all). It seems that if we wanted to create public spaces of inclusion in double height spaces, we just wouldn't create tiered seating and steps at all. Not sure if this solves the problem? Would love to know of other examples where this has been done successfully.

I've asked the same question and haven't really received a satisfactory answer. I don't see these things as inherently exclusive but I'm happy to be shown that I'm wrong in that respect. It's a complex and complicated issue and everyone will bring their own baggage and experience to the debate. I don't know if there's *one* answer, but I also don't think the easy answer of 'well let's just not do this at all' is the right one.

2. . It seems that if we wanted to create public spaces of inclusion in double height spaces, we just wouldn't create tiered seating and steps at all. Not sure if this solves the problem? y.
Exactly. A social space that steps or ramps up from level to level will inevitably exclude people and be uncomfortable for many others. If this condition can be avoided (and usually it can be), it should be.

Those interiors aren't even renders... they're pictures of an entirely different project.

thanks for finding this out, that's what i thought. couldn't understand where those interiors were in the project. so the conversation about inclusive interior design here is moot.

1. Are we certain that the interior image being referred to here is actually in the project? I took a look through the plans and cannot seem to find any terraced seating steps anywhere in the project. There is that large commercial lobby space where they might go and may not be included in the plan, but they would be leading up to residential locker space so that's unlikely. I just can't seem to find what looks like seating steps to a mezzanine in those plans at all.

It leads up to the 3rd floor commercial elevator lobby by the looks of it.

The DRP report shows them.

Block-20.png

Block-20-1.png

Back