From CBC News:

Artists, historians speak out against plans to demolish historic Keele Street graffiti wall​

Just looking at this article............

I did the most horrible thing.............

I scrolled down to the comments.

This exchange caught my attention....................

1617124984833.png

Party 1; a bit brusque in addressing a concern

Party 2;...... .....uh.....uh..... a 50% vacancy rate in rentals?

Ok then........

It would be nice to see the graffiti wall replaced with a new graffiti wall or a monumental public art project. It makes the commute more enjoyable.

Party 1; a bit brusque in addressing a concern

Party 2;...... .....uh.....uh..... a 50% vacancy rate in rentals?

Ok then........
I know I am a bit late in saying this here...

...but folks arguing over "priorities" on the internets is usually not the best source for accurate information. >.<

Virtual Community Meeting to review application for 1660 Bloor St West

The owner of 1660 Bloor St West is proposing to build a 13-storey mixed-use building with 171 units, and retail space fronting onto Bloor Street.

This application falls within the area of the Bloor Dundas Avenue Planning Report and therefore requires a Site Plan Application and a committee of Adjustment variance.

Two concurrent applications are in process.

A Site Plan application has been submitted to the City of Toronto and a minor variance application has been submitted to the Committee of Adjustment.

The applicant is hosting a Virtual Community Meeting to review their proposed plans for this site and to hear from the community, see attached.

July 27, 2021
6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
Meeting Link: https://mattamy.zoom.us/j/97985675876?pwd=dVJoTnY2TzMrOEZkTWdreVJ0NStuQT09
Meeting ID: 979 8567 5876
Passcode: 664724

Councillor Perks and City Planner Bruna Nigro will be in attendance.

Office of Councillor Gord Perks
Parkdale/High Park- Ward 4

^The window wall has no excessive mullions or transoms; the podium has some decent coloured brick instead of the usual charcoal. The retail space should be a bit better, but the above take is just being negative for the sake of it. edit: yes, I know the original renderings looked better. But why would you trust early renders?

^The window wall has no excessive mullions or transoms; the podium has some decent coloured brick instead of the usual charcoal. The retail space should be a bit better, but the above take is just being negative for the sake of it. edit: yes, I know the original renderings looked better. But why would you trust early renders?
The above take was negative because the streetwall looks absolutely dry and sterile (a la Tridel Bianca style), the podium lacks any interesting features (sure white brick is nice, but it's not what I would call coloured), and the tower portion sticks to the aforementioned dull charcoal grey brick cladding which we've seen rinsed and repeated hundreds of times across this city.

If the street level retail & entrance along Bloor was a bit more interesting (such as the east facade), I'd chalk this up as overall positive...

Edit: That and I suppose properly coloured brick. Orange(!!!), Red-ish Brown, even Purple (a la Junction Point), etc.

Compared to the condition of the site back in June 2020, the properties are now blocked off with barriers:

20211215_114752.jpg
20211215_114826.jpg

Back