innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
New development on a parking lot at the northeast corner of Cordova and Central Park. Site Plan application has apparently been filed, and it's going in front of the DRP. this image is from the NRU:

19 cordova.png

Materials are up:

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 12.45.13 PM.png

Last edited:
Anytime I see something go up in my childhood neighbourhood I feel the need to comment ha.

On first glance, this looks pretty good to me. The materials and scale looks great. This proposal along with other recent proposals is adding to the healthy mix of housing types (public housing, purpose rental, and condos). Additionally, the proposal's walking distance to Islington station is ideal. I'm hopeful it will add to the liveliness of the Islington Village strip. I say let's build it :)

DRP E-Update No. 77, March 12, 2020
The Design Review Panel (DRP) is a group of independent design professionals, including architects, landscape architects, urban designers and engineers. They review large-scale private development and public projects, and provide objective advice aimed at improving design of the public realm. Panel meetings are open to the public and interested persons are welcome to attend.

Next Meeting: Thursday March 12, 2020
Toronto City Hall, Committee Room 2 (2nd floor)

2:30 p.m. – 15-19 Cordova Ave (1st Review)

15-19 Cordova

Application: Site Plan Approval

Presentations:
  • Jennifer Renaud, Community Planning; Allison Reid, Urban Design
  • Kirkor/MBTW
This is an application for a 20-storey condominium and a 27-storey rental building at 15-19 Cordova Avenue.

3:45 p.m. Adjournment

If Tridel can execute two consecutive projects with solid materials and design in this area, i'm going to be in pure absolute awe and shock.

^^ That was a good read!

On the planning side, it is interesting (and makes a lot of sense) that they are going for a minor variance to accommodate changes in height and massing rather than a rezoning application.

DRP is right about the desire for a POPS between the sites and their comments on landscaping and streetscape.

But I am really hesitant toward the push for "simplification" of the architectural design. I am no architect and maybe there is a point being made there that there are multiple potentially conflicting expressions going on here, but this is Kirkor and Tridel we are talking about. Do you really want them to push a simplified box? Has the DRP seen what those firms have done elsewhere in the city with a simplified box?

^^ That was a good read!

On the planning side, it is interesting (and makes a lot of sense) that they are going for a minor variance to accommodate changes in height and massing rather than a rezoning application.

DRP is right about the desire for a POPS between the sites and their comments on landscaping and streetscape.

But I am really hesitant toward the push for "simplification" of the architectural design. I am no architect and maybe there is a point being made there that there are multiple potentially conflicting expressions going on here, but this is Kirkor and Tridel we are talking about. Do you really want them to push a simplified box? Has the DRP seen what those firms have done elsewhere in the city with a simplified box?

I think this is spot on. Diagonally staggered balconies; snaky cladding; gold accents. That’s three flashy ideas, all of which are likely to be executed badly. Pick one. Then hire a better landscape architect.

I think this is spot on. Diagonally staggered balconies; snaky cladding; gold accents. That’s three flashy ideas, all of which are likely to be executed badly. Pick one. Then hire a better landscape architect.
Snaky cladding and Public Work please!
Simplification doesn't mean cheapification: they still need to spend what it would take to be properly clad still, like quality windows for example, and Tridel have shown that they can do it right, and they just have to make that choice here.

nbgwer.JPG
gweqw.JPG
a3wq.JPG
3wfawa.JPG
rhewa.JPG
mwea.JPG

Look how beautifully detailed these buildings look. They have that One Yorkville condo vibe with the facade. Nice enough to be on the Toronto waterfront as seen in the photos up above !

I hope some retail spaces will be included. This area is heating up - there's a proposal right across the street, and also one on the north-west corner of Burnhamthorpe and Dundas to replace that 3-storey pomo commercial building.

Back