9 March 2013:

rps20130309202017609.jpg

If nothing else aside the post office is developed on Charles St. E between Yonge & Jarvis, it'll be a great little urban street to walk along in three or four years.

The funny thing is X, and X2 look better than Mies' own condo work :) I'm guessing the X twins use window wall? If so, this is one of the very few cases where I actually prefer window wall to curtain wall.

860-880_Lake_Shore_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
DtTO: Many readers will know those are the Lake Shore Drive Apartments in Chicago, but many won't. Nobody will know either that the photo above comes from the building's Wikipedia page unless you say so normally.

Uncredited photos on UrbanToronto will be deleted.

I apologize for that, Interchange. Yes, those are Lakeshore Drive Apartments, and the photo is taken from their wikipedia page. I should've added that in my comment.

Photos taken March 22. It appears to me the tower base is being built independently of the podium in front. Does anyone have access to the floor plans?

SDC13116.jpg

SDC13117.jpg

Attachments

• SDC13116.jpg
    SDC13116.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 897
  • SDC13117.jpg
    SDC13117.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 901
Wow, I was by here a week and a half ago and two levels have gone up since. This should really fly until they get to the end of the lowrise section at Jarvis St., then continue to fly up again after that. Now if Toronto Hydro would have their landscapers fix up their property a bit next door this block of Charles E. will be a terrific area once X2 is complete.

DtTO:

You took a pre-revitalized photo of the Lakeshore Drive Apts taken from afar and compared it to X, which is a building of a totally different scale with a building envelop with 21st century technology - of course there are going to be issues. Not to belittle aA, but I don't think they have quite gotten to this level yet:

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/chicago/lake_shore_drive_towers.htm

AoD

IMG_20130331_121843.jpg
IMG_20130331_123020.jpg

Pics as of March 31, 2013.

Attachments

• IMG_20130331_121843.jpg
    IMG_20130331_121843.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 769
  • IMG_20130331_123020.jpg
    IMG_20130331_123020.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 769
They have a variance sign posted that they want to extend the height of the roof parapet up to the overall building height. They way I read it it sounds like they're going to hide the mechanical, resolving the complaint many people had with X

That would be great if they achieved a sleek flat roof. That's the real Miesian look evident in the T-D Centre, which has some minor stuff on the roofs of the towers that's not noticeable from any vantage point. (The only exception is from taller buildings and structures like the CN Tower, but even then, the equipment on the roof doesn't grab your attention like X's massive mechanical box.)

Just picking up on the comments on the quality of the street. Agreed... Charles St will soon be an amazing residential strip. One half of the bookend being the X twins....A great concentration of residents to form a good RA actually. The street itself is in a deplorable state...hoping when all the construction is over that the city gives its repair some priority. Hence my suggestion for the Residents Association..Literally thousands of newly formed households about to inhabit Charles st.

The street itself is in a deplorable state...hoping when all the construction is over that the city gives its repair some priority. Hence my suggestion for the Residents Association..Literally thousands of newly formed households about to inhabit Charles st.

The road and many sections of the sidewalks are in terrible condition I'm sure this will be given priority for repairs once all these condo projects are completed. Just as an FYI, the Church Wellesley Neighbourhood Association covers the south side of Charles St. (Yonge to Jarvis) and down, the Bloor East Neighbourhood Association covers the north side of Charles St. E. (Yonge to Jarvis) up, & eastward

The road and many sections of the sidewalks are in terrible condition I'm sure this will be given priority for repairs once all these condo projects are completed. Just as an FYI, the Church Wellesley Neighbourhood Association covers the south side of Charles St. (Yonge to Jarvis) and down, the Bloor East Neighbourhood Association covers the north side of Charles St. E. (Yonge to Jarvis) up, & eastward

VERY interesting that the street is split that way. Hopefully as the street fills in the residents will agree to belong to one or the other in the interest of a unified neighborhood.

Back