Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
This thread will be used for discussion of Cummer/Drewry Station: a potential TTC station on the Yonge North Subway Extension, serving the intersection of Yonge Street, Cummer Avenue and Drewry Avenue in Toronto's Newtonbrook neighbourhood.

cummer_20220120.jpg

It would be awful for this station not to be built. It would be something we regret for decades, like the failure to build Willowdale on the Sheppard line.
I dunno, I think it was more a failure to build Bessarion on the Sheppard line.

In 2021, Metrolinx did Cost Benefit Analysis of the Optional Stations (Cummer, Clark and Royal Orchard) and the cost of Cummer Station was $214.6m in 2021 dollars,... why have these cost now doubled???
1685772112559.png

Page 11: https://www.metrolinx.com/en/region...NSE-Neighbourhood-Stations-Analysis-Final.pdf

At recent May 16 update on Yonge Subway Extension,... Metrolinx stated the Tunnel Boring Machines will start/launch at the north and dig southward to Cummer (Extraction Site) - where the Tunnel Boring Machines will be brought back up to ground level, they will need to dig a big hole right at Yonge and Cummer,.... right where the unfunded $215m Cummer Subway Station would have been!!! So what are they gonna do afterwards? Fill up the hole with dirt as was done with the cancelled Eglinton Subway Line 30 years ago? OR, since the subway station size hole is already dug,... just build a Cummer Station at half the original cost!!! Come on, this isn't rocket science,.... and people are surprised MetroLinx keep on finding new ways to mess up construction of the Eglinton Crosstown!

1685772226076.png

NOTE: Image above shows longer Launch sites to give you an idea of how big the hole is relative to the people - so you can see a Launch site can easily fit an entire Subway Station!

1685772400620.png

Note: the subway tunnels from Cummer to Finch Station's existing tailtrack (just north of Finch Go Reginal Bus Terminal) will be done via Cut-&-Cover Construction

If you have a big hole in the ground for Tunnel Boring Machine Extraction site on Yonge at Cummer,... and you're using Cut-&-Cover to build the Subway Tunnel to the south,... how much extra will it cost to build,... err, to fill the hole with a Cummer Subway Station - since the hole is already there?

It’s pure politics here. In my opinion neither Cummer nor Royal Orchard should be built. Clark is debatable but there should be one station between Steeles and Highway 7. Same with the station at High Tech road. It’s useless and too close to the bridge station. Subways should not be used as mini local transit. They are intermediate distance transit. So a 1.5-2km distance between stops is good. The real issue here is to rid ourself of Royal and High Tech stops and use that money for improving the RH GO service for example.

I mean, this really should be based on the needs of areas where the stations in dispute are proposed to be built and not on its wants. Although, that should go without saying....

It’s pure politics here. In my opinion neither Cummer nor Royal Orchard should be built. Clark is debatable but there should be one station between Steeles and Highway 7. Same with the station at High Tech road. It’s useless and too close to the bridge station. Subways should not be used as mini local transit. They are intermediate distance transit. So a 1.5-2km distance between stops is good. The real issue here is to rid ourself of Royal and High Tech stops and use that money for improving the RH GO service for example.
I get what you're saying, but High Tech is cheap (at-grade) and at the end of the line. I don’t think it’s as much a big deal as anything going underground.

Back