I assume Bridge will become Langstaff to match with Langstaff GO Station, and Hight Tech imo should be Richmond Hill Centre since that's an established naming convention on the subway network.
If we're going by the same naming conventions as the TYSSE then Bridge might be called Highway 407 East (🤮). I don't think that High Tech will change to Richmond Hill Centre because that's very similar to a GO station that already exists (although considering Metrolinx's previous decisions), and the massive development proposed in the area seems to give it that name. It could also be confused with RH's downtown centered along Yonge a few more Km north.

If we're going by the same naming conventions as the TYSSE then Bridge might be called Highway 407 East (🤮). I don't think that High Tech will change to Richmond Hill Centre because that's very similar to a GO station that already exists (although considering Metrolinx's previous decisions), and the massive development proposed in the area seems to give it that name. It could also be confused with RH's downtown centered along Yonge a few more Km north.
I do agree with the logic, but its worth noting that Richmond Hill Centre is the name of the major (if not most important) Bus Terminal of the region located at the plaza there, so its a name that people know, recognize, and can differentiate from "Downtown Richmond Hill".

I do agree with the logic, but its worth noting that Richmond Hill Centre is the name of the major (if not most important) Bus Terminal of the region located at the plaza there, so its a name that people know, recognize, and can differentiate from "Downtown Richmond Hill".
Avoiding name duplication isn't for the locals though. I certainly have no idea what the difference is between Richmond Hill Centre and Downtown Richmond Hill - until now, I'd have assumed they were the same.

Looking in Streetview at Richmond Hill GO (which I assume then is downtown Richmond Hill), it looks as unlike downtown as anywhere I've ever been in Richmond Hill:

1680534620530.png

Looking in Streetview at Richmond Hill GO (which I assume then is downtown Richmond Hill), it looks as unlike downtown as anywhere I've ever been in Richmond Hill:
It's a bit further west along Yonge. Still not much of a "Downtown" but more "historic".

1680537481587.png

No one in Richmond Hill would confuse Richmond Hill Centre for Downtown Richmond Hill. The term Downtown would more quickly invoke the notion of downtown Toronto than old Yonge street in Richmond Hill. If one had any business there, you would refer to the library, the performing arts centre, or any of the many churches by their specific names.

The RHC bus terminal has been basically the primary place-maker of that area for twenty years. Before that, there was nothing except for the Silvercity.

I never want to hear "Due to a security incident, there is no service on Line 1 from Davis Drive station to Bradford By-Pass Station, Shuttle buses will run"
Not only that, but... who in their right mind would ride it? Taking the subway across town is already a painfully slow experience. It's necessary, owing to the local nature of the service, but if I have the option between, say, taking line 1 + 2 from Union to Main Street or Kipling vs. the Lakeshore East or Milton lines, it's an easy choice for the GO train, every time. And we want to expand the service further out into the sticks? At what point do we throw up our hands up and say "this is ridiculous, walking would be faster".

Far too many urbanist buffs have confused "having subways everywhere" with "having good transit".

I can't wait for the day when I can take the Subway to Barrie.

Let's hope such a day never comes.

Why not? A radial streetcar went all the way up to Lake Simcoe. Parts on their own private right-of-way. The right-of-ways along Yonge Street were removed to widen Yonge Street to make room for the automobile.

From link.

map.jpg

Jefferson.jpg
Very rural view at Jefferson in Vaughan Township c.1918
Aurora.jpg
Near Aurora after 1900.

Except this time, the electric railway will be underground, though it should mostly be on the surface to save money.

Last edited:
I already explained why, in the post right above yours.

Why would anyone in their right mind take the subway to Barrie when the GO train exists? It would be a literal money pit.
Unless for "local" stations, keeping the GO as "express".

I already explained why, in the post right above yours.

Why would anyone in their right mind take the subway to Barrie when the GO train exists? It would be a literal money pit.
Genius Idea: Run the subway along the Bala Sub as the Richmond Hill Line's local, then create a new set of tracks connect either Gormley or 19th Avenue/Barrie to Aurora, then continue the local service to Newmarket along the Newmarket Sub as a local service to the Barrie Line.

Genius Idea: Run the subway along the Bala Sub as the Richmond Hill Line's local, then create a new set of tracks connect either Gormley or 19th Avenue/Barrie to Aurora, then continue the local service to Newmarket along the Newmarket Sub as a local service to the Barrie Line.
This alignment looks pretty natural with plenty of golf courses that could become wonderful new TOD...
1680571627296.png

Back