Yorkdale is going to be densified.

It means more foot traffic of course, as well as justification to have Dufferin LRT.
Like everything in this city, an LRT or subway wont even be considered until Dufferin is lined up with condos so I wouldnt hold my breath. We wont see any transit improvements -asides from improved bus service- for at least 25 years.

Big plans and a big traffic mess.

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
6.png
7.png
8.png
9.png

Attachments

• 4.png
    4.png
    314.2 KB · Views: 1,561
  • 6.png
    6.png
    348.3 KB · Views: 1,376
  • 2.png
    2.png
    504.5 KB · Views: 1,807
  • 3.png
    3.png
    502.9 KB · Views: 1,466
  • 1.png
    1.png
    514 KB · Views: 2,028
  • 5.png
    5.png
    461.1 KB · Views: 1,331
  • 9.png
    9.png
    369.1 KB · Views: 1,314
  • 7.png
    7.png
    320.1 KB · Views: 1,336
  • 8.png
    8.png
    314.5 KB · Views: 1,328
Residential and retail are the way to go in the future. Right now we think residential, mall, employment lands, and transit node but we think of them as separate things. The future is mall, transit node, employment lands, and residential all stacked in the same location. We are finally getting that at Union but this concept should grow and consolidate across the GTA. Visit Tokyo for inspiration in this department.

People are living right next to the 401 with just a ikea and a Canadian tire at Leslie. We can debate good planning but clearly people want to live in these places. Holiday Inn on the other side of the street concurs with yorkdale assessment that these condominiums will sell

It's not a great set of plans but I think it is still a step forward.

I've often thought it is odd that public and private interests in this city have historically been so reluctant, if not openly hostile to the synergies that mixed use land use could bring. Like transit authorities being openly hostile to private residential or commercial development near or on top of transit infrastructure or on the flip side malls being openly hostile to public transit connectivity.

The whole thing is totally weird and just speaks to the inability to build proper multi-storey malls with retail on top. Is abutting residential towers right up against the 401 the best idea out there?

AoD

It struck me as strange that there's no redevelopment near the subway station - but they may have screwed themselves on that front when they built the Nordstrom where it is, as that corner of the site, with the subway station, is a natural location for a large entry plaza to the site.

That's what Shape Properties is doing in Burnaby, BC at Brentwood Town Centre (now "Amazing Brentwood" and Lougheed Town Centre (now "City of Lougheed"). At Lougheed, the eventual plan approved by the City of Burnaby will see roads run through to form city blocks on a pedestrian spine and streetfront retail.

http://shapeproperties.com/leasing/#/brentwood/gallery

http://shapeproperties.com/leasing/#/lougheed/gallery

Yorkdale isn’t the worst offender in terms of hostility to transit connectivity but it has a long history of seemingly being embarassed by and marginalizing its subway connection, as well as being openly hostile to hosting commuter parking.

I recognize that there are issues with the subway site being off to the corner but in theory if this was my asset I would want the subway connection to be the centrepiece of the site. I would fight FOR being a commuter parking hub. I would want commuters including commuters living in residential units on site to filter directly through my commercial corridors on the way to the station.

Most malls and plazas tag and tow car drivers who just use their lot with no intention of shopping and you are questioning how a mall which struggles with perception that there is never any parking to offer its limited parking to commuters. I think instead yorkdale would probably prefer to move to a system where every car pays a parking fee but if you buy a certain amount your parking is validated.

Yorkdale isn’t the worst offender in terms of hostility to transit connectivity but it has a long history of seemingly being embarassed by and marginalizing its subway connection, as well as being openly hostile to hosting commuter parking.

I recognize that there are issues with the subway site being off to the corner but in theory if this was my asset I would want the subway connection to be the centrepiece of the site. I would fight FOR being a commuter parking hub. I would want commuters including commuters living in residential units on site to filter directly through my commercial corridors on the way to the station.

Living downtown, there appears to be a big contingent of commuters who absolutely hate everywhere but their hometown; who show zero respect for or interest in the area they work. They just want to get home in the fastest and most convenient way possible (see the crowds literally running from GO stations to their cars the second the doors open on their trains). Yorkdale being close to the biggest highway in the province no doubt attracts a great number of these people. So, unless they've broken a heel or need a drink, the stores at Yorkville aren't even in their mind; it's just a convenient place to park.

I don't think Oxford's hostile to transit as much as they are people using their parking lots as a flophouse for cars. It's just that the subway's caught in the middle.

Back