39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

billonlogan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Vote tonight for Toronto's own Monopoly spot
Posted: January 22, 2008, 9:33 PM by Zosia Bielski

If voters nominate it enough starting right now, Toronto might land its own spot on the world’s first global Monopoly board game.

The new Monopoly Here & Now: World Edition game will feature “great cities” where Atlantic City streetnames like Marvin Gardens and Pacific Avenue have traditionally been.

Hasbro has already pre-selected 68 “great cities” for voters to choose from: they include obvious picks like Paris and London alongside more obscure choices like Cardiff, Riga and Ljublijana.

From this list, voters can cast ballots for their top 10 and keep voting every day until Feb. 28. On Feb. 29, the 20 pre-selected cities with the most worldwide votes will land a spot on the board.

From March 1 to March 9, voters can also nominate any other city they want as wild cards - only the top two will make it on to the board.

“Any city in the world can be nominated for these property spaces, which means that Lethbridge, Alberta or Dartmouth, Nova Scotia might appear on the game board next to Paris, London or Toronto, Ontario,” reads the Hasbro release.

Sadly, wild card cities like Napanee On., will be relegated to lower rent spots on the board - think Baltic Avenue.

Describing Toronto, the Hasbro release touts the Hockey Hall of Fame ahead of both the ROM and AGO, and tallies 7,000 restaurants, as well as the “retractable roof” of the Rogers Centre.

Vote at www.monopoly.com

I just cast my vote, Toronto is sitting #25

Don't be discouraged by the fact that they ask you to register with them.

Edit: Now we're at 0.8% :( .

Try facebook. Canada (and Toronto) has the numbers there to make some kind of difference.

Hopefully there is a limit of one city per country as it seems Austrailia has really mobilized its voters.

Hmm. Toronto is not within the top 20 cities currently being voted on for inclusion for a world edition of Monopoly.

We can't let that happen! We should be on the board!

Everybody vote!

I did my part for Toronto even though I'm not exactly fond of the city...

That being said, which other cities did you vote for?

My list included New York
Los Angeles
Shanghai (although on subsequent visits i won't vote for this one)
Hong Kong
Tokyo
London
France
Sydney
Moscow

well i dont mean to be disrespectful to other cities but if we really want Toronto to make the top 20 we shouldnt vote for other cities because then it wil off set the vote for Toronto and we would not be moving up in the standings. So lets just vote for Toronto and get in the top 20 first then we can vote for other cties!:)

We've moved on up, and we're almost there, but we have to keep voting, and just for this city so that we don't help out the competition.

I've done my part: I'm voting from 3 different e-mails and I've e-mailed everyone I know (who might care, and more importantly, vote for TO). We must not allow Toronto on the first 2 spots or, imo, it would be worse than even being on the board at all. Wouldn't it be great to see MTV (Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver) occupy 1 colour. Red was always my favorite spot--get the bastards just when they get out of jail.

Vancouver is ahead of Toronto... and Edinburgh??? I'm only voting for respectable candidates that aren't on the top 20 list.

There are 22 real estate spaces total on the monopoly board. I would have the following:

South America (Purple)
1. Santiago, Chile
2. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
North America (Cyan)
3. Toronto, Canada
4. New York, USA
5. Mexico City, Mexico
Asia South Pacific (Brown)
6. Sydney, Austrailia
7. Bangkok, Thailand
8. Mumbai, India
Asia North (Orange)
9. Hong Kong, China
10. Seoul, Korea
11. Tokyo, Japan
Middle East / Africa (Red)
12. Dubai, UAE
13. Johannesburg, South Africa
14. Cairo, Egypt
Eastern Europe (Yellow)
15. Athens, Greece
16. Istanbul, Turkey
17. Moscow, Russia
Western Europe (Green)
18. Rome
19. Berlin
20. Madrid
Western Europe (Blue)
21. Paris
22. London

I would have the prices for properties based on sorting by cost of real estate averages though so a cheap property could be sitting next to an expensive one.

If done by population with a 1 per country limit the order would be:
1. Tokyo
2. Seoul
3. Mexico City
4. New York
5. Mumbai
6. Sao Paulo
7. Shanghai
8. Cairo
9. Manila
10. Jakarta
11. Karachi
12. Buenos Aires
13. Moscow
14. Dhaka
15. Tehran
16. London
17. Istanbul
18. Lagos
19. Paris
20. Bangkok
21. Bogota
22. Lima

Converting Railroads and Utilites to Properties
23. Kinshasa
24. Johannesburg
25. Baghdad
26. Madrid
27. Santiago
28. Ruhr

Converting Taxes
29. Khartoum
30. Ho Chi Minh City

Converting Free Parking
31. Toronto ( yay we made it :D .... not )

Gah, I meant Paris, not France.

That's what happens when you try to type up something 1 minute before you rush out the door to go home from work

Back