News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Toronto does not have a fear of heights. That is only something developers/architects say when they want to build a building too tall for its context.

I don't think shadowing concerns are at all bad and, if there is a fear of streetwalls, it's certainly not coming from the city's side

An interesting question. I would imagine that some people would be more concerned about shadows rather than streetwalls. Point towers cast shadows only briefly, yet the concern raised most often about such structures is the shadow they could cast.

Toronto's true fear is forceful planning for the public good - be it the need for densification against NIMBY wishes where appropriate; enforcement of strict zoning bylaws, secondary plans and other UD concerns against business interests, etc, etc...

AoD

I imagine the fear of shadows leads to the prevention of streetwall formation.

It might be too much to ask for this:
newyorkstreetwall.jpg

But a 5 or 6 storey podium should give you a decent streetwall like this:
459333755_2f035b955d_o.jpg

Irrational fears - of tall buildings, shadows, streetwalls etc. - are all unsuitable as a basis for building cities, no matter how cleverly they're disguised as something sane.

Irrational fears - of tall buildings, shadows, streetwalls etc. - are all unsuitable as a basis for building cities, no matter how cleverly they're disguised as something sane.

I think sunlight is of importance for various rational reasons. There's the matter of Vitamin D. For instance, there is scientific evidence suggesting that children whose mothers had a deficiency in Vitamin D during pregnancy are more likely to develop Schizophrenia. A lack in sunlight is also linked to depression and mental health issues.

A great city can be built with buildings that minimize shadowing.

I imagine the fear of shadows leads to the prevention of streetwall formation.

But a 5 or 6 storey podium should give you a decent streetwall like this:
459333755_2f035b955d_o.jpg
Depends where I would think, ganjavih. Okay, so it's not exactly the same as the pic above, but Bay street is starting to have a resident-heavy streetwall form. In this pic, Burano and Lumiere will be going up on the right side, and there's a fairly lengthly wall happening on the east side of the street.

Photos by Architecturefan
IMG_8340.jpg

IMG_8341.jpg

But there's definitely very few of these types of streetwalls that are lined by new condos in this city. I think, as Toronto continues to grow, more and more streets will develop the canyon effect along them as new precedences are set by highrise infill.

I think sunlight is of importance for various rational reasons. There's the matter of Vitamin D. For instance, there is scientific evidence suggesting that children whose mothers had a deficiency in Vitamin D during pregnancy are more likely to develop Schizophrenia. A lack in sunlight is also linked to depression and mental health issues.

A great city can be built with buildings that minimize shadowing.

I have a heck of a time with mood during the winter and for extended cloudy periods (like this summer). That said, the evils of building shadows aren't always all bad.

http://healthzone.ca/health/article/451883

The problem with the shadow argument is that its presented as an all or nothing choice. We are never going to be completely shadowed. When you have streets running N/S & E/W there is always sunlight penetrating the sidewalk level.
And lets be honest - much of the time we prefer shadows in July & August to avoid the heat. The Wall Street canyon effect is extreme, even by NY standards.
Generally in areas where you have many tall buildings it still seems as though there's plenty of light getting through including King & Bay.
Vitamin D is best taken in pill form.

And lets be honest - much of the time we prefer shadows in July & August to avoid the heat. The Wall Street canyon effect is extreme, even by NY standards.

Yet the winter is long, and the sunlight is welcome from November to March. Shadowing for us is not a big issue, but as canyons develop along streets, I'd say it's wise to keep areas like parks and squares sunny. Modest sun exposure is healthy.

Some sun exposure is healthy and necessary, but individuals can always move to where that sunlight is (larger parks and so on). Rooftop patios, gardens and other amenities would also offer up some extra exposure to sunlight when desired.

Even out in the suburbs there can be shadows.

The sun is so low in the winter we'd need a 40 foot restriction to get a ton of sun...D as a supplement!

Back