8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

allabootmatt

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi all, want to throw out something I've been thinking about.

I am an eternal optimist, and have been looking for silver linings in the apparent right-wing ascendance in our city. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if, long term, it's not an entirely bad thing.

Here's why. North America is unusual in that ''urban'' issues like transport, land use, and the arts split along left-right lines. What's particularly funny about this is that the sides 'right' and 'left' have chosen in these debates sometimes seem completely random; in some parallel-universe Canada, one could certainly imagine, say, the hard right arguing that big cities should be the recipient of almost all government funds because there's no sense subsidising unsustainable rural lifestyles, or said right refusing to shovel endless piles of money into inefficient spending on highways because it's a poor use of taxpayer dollars.

In other words, there's nothing inherently ideological about the fact that, on our continent, cities seem to be 'left' and the country and suburbs 'right'--that's just the way that the cookie has crumbled over the years, and seems to have much more to do with identity politics than with what we traditionally understand about progressivism and conservatism.

But what if that could change? We have a real counterexample in Europe. In the U.K., the heartlands of the right- and left-wing elites are almost identical physically, with the Tory home in Kensington or Chelsea and Labour's in Islington or Hampstead. David Cameron and his ilk would find absurd the notion that, to truly honor conservative ideals, they should be living on a farm or in a subdivision and driving an SUV. There are similar splits elsewhere; the German right seems to have no problem with Munich, the French UMP pretty comfortable with Paris and Lyon, etc.

From this perspective, I think the Canadian right taking some ownership over cities and urban issues is a positive development. Even in Rob Ford's inner circle, we can see a diversity of views on issues like cycling, transit, and built form, and more importantly individuals who certainly don't seem to think having an interest in those issues is incompatible with their ideology. Similarly, I am hoping, anyway, that with Conservative seats in the 416 federally, Toronto-boosters like Jim Flaherty will be less shy, and translate their support for the city into influence around the Cabinet table.

In the long run, I guess I wish we could achieve a European-style decoupling of urban issues from the left-right spectrum, and a situation where one's partisan identification isn't a reliable predictor of one's views on cities. With Ford, Harper, and maybe even Hudak, I think there is a real opportunity to create space for 'urban conservatism,' which in the long run would be great for Toronto, since it would unhook the city's fortunes from the electoral cycle.

So, what say you all? Am I hopelessly naive, or onto something?

Many urban issues transcend political lines, especially in an urban area as large and established as Toronto's. Transportation is the best example because everyone needs to get around - consider that in the last mayoral election, each candidate campaigned hard toward massive expansion of the TTC. Their motives were a little bit different, but same end result.

Even pro-car Rob Ford could equally have pushed for wider roads and more highways in lieu of much more costly burial of transit lines.

I think allabootmatt may be on to something. To the extent that conservatives really believe in market outcomes, then they should oppose our current web of subsidies to people living in rural and suburban areas, paid for by urban residents. And to the extent that conservatives believe in user-pay then they should be happy with generalized road-toll schemes. Since Toronto is such a tax-farm for the rest of the country, thanks to the federal government, it's even possible that the smaller Ottawa government conservatives say they support would allow us to keep more of our tax dollars in our city/region. I'm not holding my breath that things will ever get fairer or better for Toronto, but I suspect a Harper majority government couldn't be any worse for us than Liberal federal governments have been.

I think there's a lot of urbanism in the old-school Tory tradition, but Rob Ford is more a populist than a traditional conservative. (There's a dash of high school libertarianism in there, too.)

Don't forget, the urban rennaissance of the last 20 years really been about mass gentrification, with the moneyed classes moving to the core and bidding up real estate values. A bourgeois city is going to be a conservative city. As usual, NYC was way ahead of the trend, electing Rudy Giuliani in 1993 and kicking off nearly two decades (and counting) of rule by Republicans who could speak the language of urbanism.

And now here's Mayor Ford about to install dedicated bike lanes...

Yes, hopefully Rob Ford is a sign of the direction the federal Conservatives are moving toward when it comes to urbanism.

Actually I am an urban conservative. It's just that my brand of conservatism is nothing like the conservatism of Rob Ford or Steven Harper. Infact, I've been having a bit of a political identity crisis of late because I often sound like a pinko commie relative to these guys.

The reality is that all political ideologies are really about interests. You can determine the true interests behind the political movements by following the trail of hypocracy. That is the issues where the movement is hypocritical. An example would be Steven Harper's assertion that he is "helping working families" by changing taxation rules that overwhelmingly, and almost exclusively benefit the top 20 percent of Canadian families by income. An example of the hypocracy of the left would be say unions enriching themselves and excluding and suppressing opportunity for their fellow citizens while doing so in the name of "the people" or "workers".

You can determine the true interests behind the political movements by following the trail of hypocracy. That is the issues where the movement is hypocritical. An example would be Steven Harper's assertion that he is "helping working families" by changing taxation rules that overwhelmingly, and almost exclusively benefit the top 20 percent of Canadian families by income. An example of the hypocracy of the left would be say unions enriching themselves and excluding and suppressing opportunity for their fellow citizens while doing so in the name of "the people" or "workers".

I like your attitude of hating everybody from every side because every politician is a lying scumbag. I've had this attitude since I was old enough to vote and never lost it. (I still vote every single time though)

Conservatives are exactly that. They want to keep structures as they are. In Europe or NY that means keeping cities functioning accordingly.

In most of the US and Canada, it means continuing sprawl and living the 'American dream' in their bungalows with front and back yards while driving their SUVs to work.

Conservatives applaud car dependency because it fits well with the model of living for oneself disregarding others' needs and problems. They'll say, consequently, that people have the right to drive from anywhere to anywhere as long as they can afford it with their hard-earned money. Then they'll walk on that logic by subsidising oil companies in hopes to keep prices low, but hey!

Finally, conservatives are more afraid of crime and sketch, which inevitably becomes more visible (note: not necessarily more common at all) in higher densities. They want their kids to grow 'away' from all the supposed dangers of the city.

Higher standards when it comes to cleanliness, efficiency, and overall aesthetics are not inherently conservative AT ALL. The problem in Toronto is that the left is all too often full of 'hipster' graffiti vandals who'd rather get weed legalised than see the DRL get built.

"...'hipster' graffiti vandals who'd rather get weed legalised..." HA!

People are as people are. By this I mean that one shouldn't label people a certain way, group them with others bearing the same artificially-imposed label and then assign to the lot a given and set ideology. This is not how people function and is most definitely completely dismissive of the serious nuances of the human psyche which is inherently based on personal experience.

This being said, I agree with the OP. I'm quite a progressive and libertarian person as are a most of my friends, but I was probably the only one that didn't see the world coming to an end with both Ford's election as mayor and the Conservative majority in Ottawa. My friends all cried "the sky is falling!" (much like the majority in the Graffiti thread :p ) and I had to reassure them that all would be quite well in that all they feared would come to pass would in reality not even be talked about. I would prefer a different government, yes, but I'm optimistic enough to believe that as a nation we have finally started to move away from 20th century North American development planning. This, of course, includes policy-makers.

Now, as a "hipster graffiti vandal who'd rather see weed legalised" I have to go....less important things to worry about, apparently. :p

(God, I can't believe I just referred to myself as a hipster, even in jest)

Actually ladyscraper I don't hate all politicians. On the contrary I've grown to appreciate their skill set and contribution more as I've got older. However, I am critical of inauthentic policy. Policy it seems is controlled by extremists who are constantly trying to sell the middle-class majority trojan horses. Politicians are a vital cog in the machine but they must be contained by other institutions and organizations in order to serve the public good. That is why I bristle at the attempts of the political class to marginalize the institutions and organizations that ensure good government is possible.

It must be said however that our "extremists" aren't very extreme by international standards. I actually do not thing we enjoy good government in Canada, but what we do have is reasonable or tempered government and some strong institutions and organizational traditions.

Conservatives are exactly that. They want to keep structures as they are. In Europe or NY that means keeping cities functioning accordingly.

In most of the US and Canada, it means continuing sprawl and living the 'American dream' in their bungalows with front and back yards while driving their SUVs to work.

Conservatives applaud car dependency because it fits well with the model of living for oneself disregarding others' needs and problems. They'll say, consequently, that people have the right to drive from anywhere to anywhere as long as they can afford it with their hard-earned money. Then they'll walk on that logic by subsidising oil companies in hopes to keep prices low, but hey!

Finally, conservatives are more afraid of crime and sketch, which inevitably becomes more visible (note: not necessarily more common at all) in higher densities. They want their kids to grow 'away' from all the supposed dangers of the city.

Higher standards when it comes to cleanliness, efficiency, and overall aesthetics are not inherently conservative AT ALL. The problem in Toronto is that the left is all too often full of 'hipster' graffiti vandals who'd rather get weed legalised than see the DRL get built.

Easy to generalize, isn't it? What we are seeing more of is people separating their lifestyle values from their political ideologies. I am finding myself becoming more politically conservative as I grow older, however I fully embrace my urban lifestyle - no car, live in a high rise apartment, take part in cultural events weekly, have a diverse group of friends, daily TTC rider, and so on and so forth.

That aside, growing older has also made me more weary of how the increasingly large percentage of my income is spent by the government. It has also made me significantly less sympathetic to abusers of "the system". That is what makes me (and apparently thousands of other inner city residents) conservative, and has no bearing on the fact that we thoroughly enjoy living in the city.

Equally intriguing is that most of the NDP's support came from rural Quebec. It's seriously time to rethink traditional stereotypes.

Taxes are generally lower than they were 15 years ago. Why become increasingly conservative now?

Does any party, left or right, support abusers of the system? I don't think health care was rolled out to have people go to emergency for trivial issues, it just happens because there is a system. Similar to the fact products don't sit on shelves that customers can browse to support shoplifting, yet having open browsing of stores does in a way support shoplifting. Is the solution to abuse of a system to have less system?

The left is hipster graffiti vandals? What a bunch of nonsense that it. What does creating a social net have to do with vandalism... and why is it hip?

Actually ladyscraper I don't hate all politicians. On the contrary I've grown to appreciate their skill set and contribution more as I've got older. However, I am critical of inauthentic policy. Policy it seems is controlled by extremists who are constantly trying to sell the middle-class majority trojan horses. Politicians are a vital cog in the machine but they must be contained by other institutions and organizations in order to serve the public good. That is why I bristle at the attempts of the political class to marginalize the institutions and organizations that ensure good government is possible.

It must be said however that our "extremists" aren't very extreme by international standards. I actually do not thing we enjoy good government in Canada, but what we do have is reasonable or tempered government and some strong institutions and organizational traditions.

Your lament echos that of mine, and that of Thomas Henry Huxley....

Anxious watching of the course of affairs for many years past has persuaded me that nothing short of some sharp and sweeping national misfortune will convince the majority of our countrymen that government by average opinion is merely a circuitous method of going to the devil; and that those who profess to lead but in fact slavishly follow this average opinion are simply the fastest runners and the loudest squeakers of the herd which is rushing blindly down to its destruction.

It is the electorate, and especially the Liberal electorate, which is responsible for the present state of things. It has no political education. It knows well enough that 2 and 2 won't make 5 in a ledger, and that sentimental stealing in private life is not to be tolerated; but it has not been taught the great lesson in history that there are like verities in national life, and hence it easily falls a prey to any clever and copious fallacy-monger who appeals to its great heart instead of reminding it of its weak head.

Politicians have gone on flattering and cajoling this chaos of political incompetence until the just penalty of believing their own fictions has befallen them, and the average member of Parliament is conscientiously convinced that it is his duty, not to act for his constituents to the best of his judgment, but to do exactly what they, or rather the small minority which drives them, tells him to do.

Our car dependent culture isn't sustainable in the long term. The rising gas prices is just the tip of the iceberg. Sadly, our entire society/suburban lifestyle is built on cheap, limitless energy. Those days are over. Just look at escalating food prices.

Last edited:

Back