News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

More or less. Plenty of development planned or under construction around LRT stations. By the time the city gets around to their planned TOD projects they'll be nothing left to build lol.

Under Wikipedia most other cities have an entry regarding T.O.D's but nothing for Calgary even though we have some decent development in that area.

Stations with TODs close by:

Dalhousie - Groves of Varsity (complete), The Dells (under construction)
Brentwood - University City (complete), Brio (complete), Brentwood Commons (proposed)
Heritage - London 1 & 2 (complete), London 3 & 4 (on-hold)
Westbrook - Westgate Park (complete), Calgary Public Library (complete), Corus Centre (complete), Uptown @ Westbrook (on hold)
Fish Creek - Manor at Fish Creek (complete), Highbury Tower (complete)

TOD at stations that don't exist yet:

Quarry Park - Calgary Public Library (complete), YMCA (complete), shopping centre (complete), Imperial Oil Campus (complete), deVille (under construction)

That's pretty much it so far, unless you count inner city stations in locations that are already walkable (Bridgeland, Lions Park, Sunnyside, etc.), but I don't.

I think Banff Trail could be added to the list as well. Given there's an office building a residential tower within the typical 600m radius.

IMO, Brentwood is the best example we have at the moment, and Dalhousie is a solid second.Once the Dells are finished, it'll be neck and neck with Brentwood.

I think banff trail could quickly become a half decent TOD, the city has a pretty detailed ARP for the motel village area and we've already seen one major development and there's another proposed. Plus the city is doing a major redesign of all the roads and pedestrian connections in motel village. Given it's very close proximity to the university and hospitals it had location going for it. Granted if it ever does become home to mutliple residential buildings I suspect the majority of people living there will be students and I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy a condo for anything other than being a rental.

I don't think we have any TOD in a strict sense, but plenty of "transit adjacent development". The difference is that we still always prioritize vehicles instead of transit in all our stations so we don't achieve most of the goals of good TODs, despite development.

Stations with TODs close by:

Dalhousie - Groves of Varsity (complete), The Dells (under construction)
Brentwood - University City (complete), Brio (complete), Brentwood Commons (proposed)
Heritage - London 1 & 2 (complete), London 3 & 4 (on-hold)
Westbrook - Westgate Park (complete), Calgary Public Library (complete), Corus Centre (complete), Uptown @ Westbrook (on hold)
Fish Creek - Manor at Fish Creek (complete), Highbury Tower (complete)
Dalhousie - freeway median station, parking and bus loops are far more prominent than any development nearby on both sides of the station despite recent development.
Brentwood - freeway median station plus suburban shopping mall and access roads on both sides. Parking more prevalent than anything, despite recent development.
Heritage - heavy rail, abandoned lots and free-flow traffic between development and station. A circuitous pedestrian bridge added that only improves the access to the LRT marginally from a terrible starting condition.
Westbrook - actual TOD, library physically built in station. No development yet but a rare example of where you could imagine true orientation to transit (minus Bow Trail semi-freeway).
Fish Creek - parking, freeways and heavy rail prioritized over development.

If we aren't able to remove the conditions that prevent good TOD (i.e. remove the complete vehicle hegemony in a station area) we can only look to the ones where vehicles haven't complete dominated. Banff Trail, Lions Park, 45 Street SW and the city centre are easily the best candidates. Sunnyside is probably the winner in true transit-orientation of development and actually following through on it for any station beyond 7th Avenue. Most stations, due to our decisions decades ago to run our LRT system in medians and along heavy rail lines, will never be good TOD candidates.

There may be a few more TOD candidates if you could condense bus loops and remove acres of park-and-ride in favour of development but most are lost causes without massive (and probably controversial) interventions. Perhaps 39 Avenue S or Chinook one-day. A few of the Greenline stations (but not many) have a chance too. Some along 36 Street NE might be a bit easier on account of it being just a terrible, vehicle-oriented road and not an actual freeway.

Some along 36 Street NE might be a bit easier on account of it being just a terrible, vehicle-oriented road and not an actual freeway.
My dream is one day Marlborough station gets buried and 36 Street get's a problem main street treatment to give that area a chance to be decent.

I don't think we have any TOD in a strict sense, but plenty of "transit adjacent development". The difference is that we still always prioritize vehicles instead of transit in all our stations so we don't achieve most of the goals of good TODs, despite development.

Dalhousie - freeway median station, parking and bus loops are far more prominent than any development nearby on both sides of the station despite recent development.
Brentwood - freeway median station plus suburban shopping mall and access roads on both sides. Parking more prevalent than anything, despite recent development.
Heritage - heavy rail, abandoned lots and free-flow traffic between development and station. A circuitous pedestrian bridge added that only improves the access to the LRT marginally from a terrible starting condition.
Westbrook - actual TOD, library physically built in station. No development yet but a rare example of where you could imagine true orientation to transit (minus Bow Trail semi-freeway).
Fish Creek - parking, freeways and heavy rail prioritized over development.

If we aren't able to remove the conditions that prevent good TOD (i.e. remove the complete vehicle hegemony in a station area) we can only look to the ones where vehicles haven't complete dominated. Banff Trail, Lions Park, 45 Street SW and the city centre are easily the best candidates. Sunnyside is probably the winner in true transit-orientation of development and actually following through on it for any station beyond 7th Avenue. Most stations, due to our decisions decades ago to run our LRT system in medians and along heavy rail lines, will never be good TOD candidates.

There may be a few more TOD candidates if you could condense bus loops and remove acres of park-and-ride in favour of development but most are lost causes without massive (and probably controversial) interventions. Perhaps 39 Avenue S or Chinook one-day. A few of the Greenline stations (but not many) have a chance too. Some along 36 Street NE might be a bit easier on account of it being just a terrible, vehicle-oriented road and not an actual freeway.
A lot of this comes down to semantics or definition. Does an area really have to meet some guideline somewhere to be considered a TOD? A TOD in one city is not the same TOD in another city, but there are broad generalizations and definitions. Those spots like Brentwood and Dalhousie may not be TODs in the strictest sense, but the motivation to build developments like The Dells, and University city, etc.. is due mainly to the LRT stations, and thus the development becomes transit oriented development and also transit adjacent. The areas still cater to cars as well, but if I'm not mistaken University City and Brio had less parking stalls than a typical development of the same size, and that's probably due to the LRT stations.

I think that Crowfoot is currently the best Calgary TOD™; it scores high on almost all metrics. Tons of parking, lots of single family homes, a lot of road right of way, and there's not only two of the "Big Three" classic Calgary TOD™ commercial uses: two car dealerships and a funeral home, there's also a bottle depot and a car wash. If only the Lowe's was a Superstore (and it was facing away from the LRT station).

1614744186366.png

I think Sunnyside station is by far the best TOD example, but as UW mentioned, it's not so much a 'development', but instead inherited a great location that was already walk-able. It's still nice to see places like Sunnyside evolve. If the station wasn't there, would we see projects like Annex and Theodore, etc.. get built? Maybe, maybe not..it's hard to say, but I believe having a nearby LRT station drove some of that development.

As for Brentwood, Dalhousie, etc... it's a shame the LRT line runs down the middle of a freeway, as those stations would have so much potential for TOD. As it sits today, they are still decent examples IMO. One can live near those stations without a vehicle, as they have the station for transit and multiple retail amenities. Crowchild isn't great, but it's not a deal breaker. It reminds me of the subway lines that run along Queens boulevard. Most stations have dense development around the area but Queens blvd runs right through the middle of that dense development. Queens blvd does have multiple at grade crossings compared to Crowchild and is somewhat less of a freeway than Crowchild, but not by much.

Last edited:
I often walk from U of C over to Brentwood Mall/University City to get coffee or bubble tea. It is absolutely atrocious. Brentwood road is basically an unwalkable service route with no sidewalks. You have to dodge cars walking through the Brentwood Mall parking lot to get to the shops. To call Brentwood "transit oriented development" is to use that term so leniently as to strip it of most of its meaning. Currently University City is a vertical suburb located within a strip mall but just happens to be a relatively short (but unpleasant) walk from an LRT station.

The other annoying thing is that "Brentwood Way", the tiny driveway that runs through the middle of University City, looks like it was designed to be a foothold for a main street. It has retail on both sides. It could conceivably be expanded to the south, bisecting the Brentwood Mall property to Morley Trail, and to the north, where it could provide access to the LRT. If this were to happen, Brentwood could actually become TOD, with Brentwood Way providing the main pedestrian corridor connection the LRT, residences, and commercial amenities. Of course, the proposed Brentwood Commons development would put an end to all that. It is designed to completely cut off University City and Brentwood Mall from the LRT station and force pedestrians trying to get to the LRT onto Brentwood Road, which (as mentioned) is little more than a service road.

True, the Brentwood Commons design pretty much kills any chance of a decent main street running through area. I don't know what the city's response was in the end.

Does anyone remember the Anderson TOD that was proposed? Has there been any updates on this? It has been well over 5 years since we have heard anything on this. I hope it isn't dead. It is needed. It really is such a waste, having such a massive lots sitting next to the station.
Let me introduce to you the Westbrook TOD...waiting for 12+ years and still no shovels in the ground.

Back