News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

This has been one big financial fiasco. I don't think the street looks that much different (not for the amount of money and time spent on it) and certainly some of it looks half-finished. Plus, the whole idea was to make it more pedestrian-friendly; meanwhile, where the parking spots used to be, they have place these flower beds and trees – blocking pedestrian traffic, so the width of the pavement essentially remains the same as it was before. The renderings were beautiful, but the result was anything but.

It does look better, but for the money and time spent on it they should have added full bike lanes on each side, and benches along the street to sit on.. It's not pedestrian friendly if there is nowhere to sit..
And I personally don't consider the tiny slabs they put in to count as benches.

This has been one big financial fiasco. I don't think the street looks that much different (not for the amount of money and time spent on it) and certainly some of it looks half-finished. Plus, the whole idea was to make it more pedestrian-friendly; meanwhile, where the parking spots used to be, they have place these flower beds and trees – blocking pedestrian traffic, so the width of the pavement essentially remains the same as it was before. The renderings were beautiful, but the result was anything but.

We need more of this. Doesn't need to be granite but if we want trees to survive beyond the 10 year average for city trees (AND WE DO!!!!) we need longer beds. Look at Chicago. Their beds line entire streets, with small cut throughs of sidewalk to the curb. We do the opposite in Toronto and get some of the ugliest streetscapes in N. America. A city like Toronto deserves better......

I'm encouraged to see that the trees are finally being planted (give them a few years to fill out and they will be beautiful), but what I truly find to be eyesores are the steel grids on the sidewalks that will encircle the base of the tree trunks. They are already severely rusted to an almost bright orange (they even have relief texture at this point) and look simply awful next to the new sidewalks. Someone please get out the Tremclad pronto!

The metal tree grates are weathering steel - which is to say that they are meant to have a rusted appearance.

There's a utility cut at the northwest corner of Bloor and Avenue Road. Part of the cut appears to be on new pavement. I suppose anything west of Avenue Road isn't technically part of the Bloor rebuild, so I wonder if anyone has a forecast for the first utility cut between Church and Avenue Road.

Back