2.9K     0 

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
Whatever they did with the elm trees seemed to work well up until they were diseased. These new trees are disease resistant, but slower growing.

Alex_YYC

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don’t know the variety those smaller trees in the forefront, but look to be doing well in those tree planters.

1F6DCAE2-0ECB-4094-BF36-E3BAEEE1AF8A.jpeg
EB061F2A-C336-40B3-9B3E-BDB3717741C1.jpeg

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
Is it just me or are there a lot of trees that are a few weeks behind this spring? I just saw a Bur Oak that was still buds, those trees are a little later to bloom, but I don't recall seeing buds still in June before
They are behind this year. My Mayday is usually the first to sprout leaves, and I use that to gage early/late spring. This year it was about a week behind last year.

CBBarnett

Member Bio
Reaction score
They are behind this year. My Mayday is usually the first to sprout leaves, and I use that to gage early/late spring. This year it was about a week behind last year.
Only an amateur gardener here but I feel it's been both pretty dry and not particularly warm/sunny for any long stretch either, so no real consistent pattern that gets those leaves to pop early.

Just a "meh" spring, as far as our trees are concerned is my theory :)

Alex_YYC

Member Bio
Reaction score
Only an amateur gardener here but I feel it's been both pretty dry and not particularly warm/sunny for any long stretch either, so no real consistent pattern that gets those leaves to pop early.

Just a "meh" spring, as far as our trees are concerned is my theory :)
I think you nailed it. We had a really nice March and early April but from what I’ve seen in past years the trees and bushes need a nice late April or May to get going. Only one week of good solid warm weather in May or late April gets things going, but we haven’t had it this year.