33K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 3.3K     0 

artvandelay

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
I don’t know the variety those smaller trees in the forefront, but look to be doing well in those tree planters.

View attachment 403556
It's only been 10-15 years since the "urban boulevard" project was completed and the state of the landscaping features on 16th Avenue is atrocious - dead/dying trees and planters overgrown with weeds. Those planters have an irrigation system that I don't think has ever been turned on. I guess the City prefers to re-plant trees every few years without watering them enough to actually grow.

artvandelay

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
I think the City probably deals with a lot of complaints about the fluff. But agreed. Poplars were pretty important for Calgary in even establishing a canopy.
Only certain varieties create the fluff - I don't think the City allows poplars for public trees anymore (or discourages them), I'm assuming due to the roots destroying sidewalks.

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
Unfortunately, Urban Forestry’s current service plan is focused on maintaining established trees, and not planting new trees. They will need a budgetary boost in order to increase the canopy from 8.25% to the 16% target by 2060.

I’m sure the City has at least looked at the federal “2 Billion Trees Program” for funding, and if they haven’t, they should, because other municipalities have received funding, although I think the grants to municipalities have been minimal (few hundred thousand dollars), but every little bit helps and we might as well get any funding out of the feds that we can.
A few hundred thousand would be great, as any amount is good. If we could plant 2000 trees that were paid for by the feds, that'd be great.

One thing disappointing is coming in from the airport, whether down Deerfoot, Airport Trail or down Metis trail, one sees nothing but bald ass prairie. At least if the city could plant and maintain trees along Airport Trail, and Deerfoot from airport Trail to Memorial, that would go a long way to giving a better initial impression for visitors.

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
Off topic of the current conversation, but does anyone in the know (botany I guess?) think we’re gonna have a frig load of dead trees next spring due to this insane 26° to -17° within two weeks nonsense we’re experiencing?

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
Most of the trees had already dropped their leaves, so they are fine I would think. It's the years that we have a cold sap like this while there are still green leaves.