News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The buses have yellow lights on their roofs, so streetcars should have one green light on their roof.

Are you thinking of the three in centre and one on each side? They are required on all motor vehicles over certain dimensions, along with lights on the side and rear.

Are you thinking of the three in centre and one on each side? They are required on all motor vehicles over certain dimensions, along with lights on the side and rear.

Streetcars, being "railway" cars, don't need the yellow warnings lights. That is also why streetcars, light rail vehicles and heavy rail vehicles (subway cars) don't have license plates on them.

Streetcars, being "railway" cars, don't need the yellow warnings lights. That is also why streetcars, light rail vehicles and heavy rail vehicles (subway cars) don't have license plates on them.

Well I know that. I was responding to your post that buses have yellow lights and was wondering if you were referring to the ones mandated to all large vehicles.

What's the advantage of pantograph over trolley pole?

The ones that come to mind are:
  • Doesn't de-wire
  • Higher current collection
  • Simplified wiring at intersections
  • in areas of low clearance it doesn't impact reliability of contact
I also believe the collectors take longer to wear than the trolley pole carbons, but I'm not quite sure about that one.

Pans act as an ice scraper as well.

4401 is currently out in Long Branch test and a long time since its last test.

4403 Still sitting on the service track and 4404 in the service bay

One reason why the TTC is finally switching from trolleys to pantographs...

Got to admit it's pretty ghetto to see streetcar drivers forced to get out of the vehicle to have to re-attach the pole, not to mention the build up of filth on the back window as well. Hopefully that will be a thing of the past with panto.

One reason why the TTC is finally switching from trolleys to pantographs...

The wire frogs can wear in the more frequent direction of travel and so this kind of thing will occur more frequently on a short turn or diversion. In the video you can see the trolley pole is just following the eastbound College wire. I expect you wouldn't see similar occurrences at intersections like Dundas W & College, Broadview & Dundas E, Queen E & King E or Queens Quay & Spadina where there would be more a balanced use of turns vs. straight running.

Back