News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Step 1. The Return of the 138 SOUTH KINGSWAY bus. See link. (An extension to the 55 WARREN PARK bus or 26 DUPONT bus would work as well. Increase the headways of both those routes would be a prerequisite.)
138-south-kingsway-tt2.png
I absolutely agree with you on this!

So strange that this line didn't come back...

Would building LRTs along the old concession/side roads solve the transit issue?All existing and future LRTs run along one. Are there many concession/side roads that are not that busy?
I think there are 2 issues with that. 1) The people aren't located there. 2) Toronto doesn't have enough concession/side roads.

This might work in the suburbs or as a GO option

I think there are 2 issues with that. 1) The people aren't located there. 2) Toronto doesn't have enough concession/side roads.

This might work in the suburbs or as a GO option

If we look where most towers are, they usually are along one of those main arteries.

If we look where most towers are, they usually are along one of those main arteries.
Now I think I'm misunderstanding, could you give an example in Toronto of what you speak about? Using Jane, the only side roads I see are ones like Norfinch or Runnymede which are too far from Jane to be used as a substitute.

Most roads in Toronto that have high enough ridership to warrant rapid transit don't have a side road/concession that could be used as a replacement rapid transit.

Now I think I'm misunderstanding, could you give an example in Toronto of what you speak about? Using Jane, the only side roads I see are ones like Norfinch or Runnymede which are too far from Jane to be used as a substitute.

Most roads in Toronto that have high enough ridership to warrant rapid transit don't have a side road/concession that could be used as a replacement rapid transit.
Jane, Duffierin, Kennedy, Sheppard, Lawrence, etc. All of those main thoroughfares used to be concession and side roads, much like out in the country. Drive along any of them and you begin to see that there is lots of development along them. Some of the highest ridership for buses are along these roads.

Jane Street, north of Wilson Avenue, is wide enough for a in-median LRT. It's not in Doug Ford's neighbourhood, who demanded and got the Eglinton West LRT to be buried because it was in his neighbourhood.

South of Maple Leaf Drive (Highway 400), it should be underground to Bloor Street West. Only emerging to the surface around Eglinton Flats (to intersect with Line 5) and maybe Alliance Avenue (Black Creek).
However at this point we're just repeating the same mistakes we made with the Eglinton Crosstown. If 50% of an LRT is underground, I think a complete rethink of the mode is required.

However at this point we're just repeating the same mistakes we made with the Eglinton Crosstown. If 50% of an LRT is underground, I think a complete rethink of the mode is required.
While I don't think Eglinton as an LRT is an issue due to the short distance between the at grade release valves ( less than 6km between at grade traffic lights for Kennedy and Ontario Line), any of these North/South Lines have about 10km between Steeles and Eglinton (Jane or Dufferin) so there is greater value in higher order rapid transit.

The problem is not the sun, but the light(s). If the LRT had signal priority, it wouldn't matter whether parts are underground or not.

I'm so happy that he's making videos again! Amazing content!

Higher order transit on Jane would be extremely beneficial and it's so unfortunate that our politicians can't understand this.

The only thing I would like to see included in these (distant future) plans, is an extension South to the lake. Connection to the 501 streetcar (or whatever ends up being built here, be it Ontario line, or Waterfront LRT) would generate even more ridership and improve interconnectivity, especially taking into account the expected population growth of South Swansea and Humber Bay Shores.

Latest on the Jane LRT RapidTO (by the anti-LRT folks at City Hall)...

Attend an Event

Virtual Public Meeting via Zoom Webinar,
Wednesday, March 8, 2023, 6 pm to 8 ppm

Public Drop-In Events,
Wednesday, March 22, 2023, 6:30 pm to 9 pm, Driftwood Community Recreation Centre, 4401 Jane Street,
Tuesday, March 28, 2023, Clairvaux Hall, 1795 Lawrence Ave. W.

Potential Design Options for Jane Street

Option #Option NameExisting General Lane ConfigurationProposed General Lane ConfigurationProposed Bus Stop Removals
1Keep Existing Conditions with Minor Road & Public Transit Changes4 General Purpose Lanes (2 per direction)No changes
  • up to 7 northbound
  • up to 5 southbound
2Priority Bus Lanes4 General Purpose Lanes (2 per direction)
  • 2 mixed-traffic lanes (1 per direction)
  • 2 bus lanes (1 per direction)
  • up to 16 northbound
  • up to 15 southbound
3Priority Bus Lanes on Key Segments4 General Purpose Lanes (2 per direction)
  • 2 bus lanes (1 per direction)
  • up to 16 northbound
  • up to 15 southbound
4High Occupancy Vehicle Lanes (3+)4 General Purpose Lanes (2 per direction)
  • 2 HOV lanes (1 per direction)
  • up to 9 northbound
  • up to 8 southbound
5Queue Jump Lanes at Key Intersections4 General Purpose Lanes (2 per direction)No changes, except at specific intersections where new or extended right-turn lanes would be built
  • up to 9 northbound
  • up to 8 southbound

Visit https://www.toronto.ca/services-payments/streets-parking-transportation/transportation-projects/rapidto/rapidto-have-your-say/rapidto-jane-street/
(Finally updated to the printed copy I got in the mail.)

Last edited:
Last edited:

Back