News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

More trains will be required for the three station extension. Since the Greenwood Yard is at capacity and the Vincent Yard will fill up, the Obico Yard will be needed. The Obico Yard was formally a CP (Canadian Pacific) railway yard.

1597793060477.png

From link. Maybe part of the old yard could be used for a TTC bus facility to replace the old Queensway Garage. (Maybe with room for streetcars.)

I'll just be happy something is built and this debate will finally be over. But I don't look forward to the entitled Sheppard deserves a subway extension debate of the future.

I listened to the news conference. It was hilarious how many times he said 'the people of Scarborough' and twisted the truth to serve his narrative.

He sure knows how to play the game.

Should only be a matter of time before 'the people of Scarborough' deserve a Sheppard extension.

Unfortunately I think this may be the last major transit expansion in Scarborough for quite some time.

Yes, building infrastructure with a severe operating loss which hits the farebox negatively isn't new to the TTC with the Ford government; and many complain about every fare increase.

If expensive capital came with funds to operate it, TTC would have a Montreal level fare.

Ironically, it's probably the 'people of Scarborough' who'll be complaining as much as anyone about the increased fares.

Probably debated to death but not seeing alot of ridership on this line and benefit to the overall population of TO. Should have diverted funds to the Ontario/relief line

What was wrong with the Don Mills LRT?
I honestly think if Mayor Miller had released Transit City as a comprehensive higher-order transit expansion of the TTC, including both LRT and subways it would have been more successful. For instance, including the Relief Line and Yonge North. We are getting a truncated version of this regardless, but more despite than because of Miller.

Have to say, I was very anti Scarborough Subway until I had to work at Sheppard and McCowan for a period. Absolute nightmare to get there from downtown, whether I drove or took transit. Truly dreaded every commute. I absolutely agree that LRT would have been the smarter, and less expensive choice, but after SO many years of debate I'm sort of alright with something just getting built already. If Ford wanted to build the Scarborough extension WITHOUT the Ontario Line/DRL it would have been indefensible, but if he really can do both, them I'm personally willing to let go of the LRT argument, I think.

Unless new trains can be stored at Wilson.
I feel like that would be a logistical nightmare. The only tracks that connect Line 1 and 2 are from Eastbound and Westbound Line 2 to Southbound University Line, which means to deploy the trains you're going to have to do a complicated roll the trains into Museum, then back out onto the Line 2 track.

I feel like that would be a logistical nightmare. The only tracks that connect Line 1 and 2 are from Eastbound and Westbound Line 2 to Southbound University Line, which means to deploy the trains you're going to have to do a complicated roll the trains into Museum, then back out onto the Line 2 track.
There are also tracks that go from upper St. George (Line1) to Spadina station on Line 2.

More trains will be required for the three station extension. Since the Greenwood Yard is at capacity and the Vincent Yard will fill up, the Obico Yard will be needed. The Obico Yard was formally a CP (Canadian Pacific) railway yard.

From link. Maybe part of the old yard could be used for a TTC bus facility to replace the old Queensway Garage. (Maybe with room for streetcars.)

I do think there's potential for a stacked yard in this location - with a subway yard on the ground with an concrete roof, and a bus garage on top.

Land constrained Singapore is doing this all the time now - the picture is Kim Chuan Depot with 133 trains in the depot and 550 buses upstairs. The future East Coast Integrated Depot will be 3 level - with a different train yard for a different line on each level - I guess when you run out of land, you've gotta do what you gotta do! Not quite the same given the location of Obico, but Hong Kong has long built residential/commercial developments on top of their train depots.
LTA-Banner.png

Once this extension is in place, it can act as a spine from which multiple LRT and BRT ROW's span across Scarborough.

That would be nice - but Scarborough deserves subways.

Putting aside Ford's attacks, it might be quite a few decades before we see any LRTs in Scarborough at the rate transit is built.

Back