News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It would be nice to know the exact question they asked.

If the public opinion, even within Scarborough, is genuinely in favor of LRT, that is one thing. But a huge swing in public opinion from just a year ago seems strange, and makes me think that the question they asked has changed materially.

I'm pretty sure it's because they mentioned that the subway will lead to a property tax increase, but the LRT would not.

I'm pretty sure many people don't really care which one is chosen since they either never take transit or don't go to that part of Scarborough, but they don't want to pay more taxes, so they chose LRT.

I'm pretty sure it's because they mentioned that the subway will lead to a property tax increase, but the LRT would not.

I'm pretty sure many people don't really care which one is chosen since they either never take transit or don't go to that part of Scarborough, but they don't want to pay more taxes, so they chose LRT.

Bingo! If taxes didn't have to be raised for the subway extension, I'm willing to bet Scarborough residents would say they want the subway and not the LRT.

Bingo! If taxes didn't have to be raised for the subway extension, I'm willing to bet Scarborough residents would say they want the subway and not the LRT.

Perhaps....but if subways were free everyone would want them and everyone could have them....their not free and the tax increase is an important part of the context here.

Perhaps....but if subways were free everyone would want them and everyone could have them....their not free and the tax increase is an important part of the context here.

I think once people start seeing transit projects like the Bloor-Danforth extension being built, they will be more open to taxes and tolls helping paying for transit expansion.

I think once people start seeing transit projects like the Bloor-Danforth extension being built, they will be more open to taxes and tolls helping paying for transit expansion.

Yeah one side effect of the LRT/Subway debate and the constant plan-changing & flip-flopping is that the public's confidence that Metrolinx or the government will actually build something is at an all time low.

Each line opening will convince people that things can be done: Spadina extension, then Eglinton Crosstown (and Sheppard and Finch if they happen). When people see the transit map growing & adding new lines, they'll be more willing to believe that things can be accomplished.

Why would the 3-station BD Extension trigger this in the future, if the 6-station Spadina line doesn't trigger this now. Or the tunelling for the 12 underground stations of the Eglinton line?

Why would the 3-station BD Extension trigger this in the future, if the 6-station Spadina line doesn't trigger this now. Or the tunelling for the 12 underground stations of the Eglinton line?

Exactly, selling new taxes to people even with clear benefits is very difficult to do. People just don't want to pay higher taxes.

One reason is it takes so long, because the money does not flow to any one specific project all at once, rather incremental.

Exactly, selling new taxes to people even with clear benefits is very difficult to do. People just don't want to pay higher taxes.

It's also difficult because of the amount of years between planning a line and having it open.

Do the people who support the Scarborough Danforth extension realize it will take 10 years? Many people may have moved to a different part of the city by then.

It's also difficult because of the amount of years between planning a line and having it open.

Do the people who support the Scarborough Danforth extension realize it will take 10 years? Many people may have moved to a different part of the city by then.

I think most of them prefer a busted RT over bus shuttles

I just hear from Brad Ross at TTC that it is a switching issue on the RT. Whatever that means

I don't understand why the outside sections of the subway aren't affected. Is it cause TTC aligns more crew to service those areas?

Why would they be? The equipment is kept weatherproofed and in good working order, and by-and-large isn't life-expired or about to be. The only time that the outside sections of the subway are affected by the weather is if snow or ice prevents the third rail shoes from contacting the third rail.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back