News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Even the subway outside in the open has had problems with the snow, even while the subway's power rail is much more "heavy duty". Sometimes its the switches get into trouble, which also messed up the GO trains.

RT has had issues with ice build up on the power/induction rail for a long time. since the whole premise of its locomotion is based on only a couple milimetres of separation between the electrified rail and car rail, any small build up of ice can shut down the system. they installed heaters along the line many years back to help prevent ice build up but they have a spotty track record. That line is literally a train wreck for winters. Hence the need to replace it with whatever comes of this bloody saga. Switching problems affect essentially all rail systems. any sort of built up in the switching mechanism and everything comes to a halt because the mechanism cant move properly. problems exist in pretty much all cold weather rail systems around the world.

Heads up! Metrolinx has removed the SLRT from their Toronto Transit Projects page map. They haven't included the Scarborough Subway either but mention it as part of their investment in Toronto. So should we all bemoan this tragedy and fret about what Metrolinx was thinking, or just wait till after the Mayoral race and we get into another round of Subway vs LRT?
Website is: http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/transitexpansionprojects/crosstownproject.aspx
My money is on option 2.

Toronto_LRT_Map_EN-800x630.jpg

Attachments

• Toronto_LRT_Map_EN-800x630.jpg
    Toronto_LRT_Map_EN-800x630.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 260
Heads up! Metrolinx has removed the SLRT from their Toronto Transit Projects page map. They haven't included the Scarborough Subway either but mention it as part of their investment in Toronto. So should we all bemoan this tragedy and fret about what Metrolinx was thinking, or just wait till after the Mayoral race and we get into another round of Subway vs LRT?

The route isn't defined and it is not LRT, so it's not on the map. It also isn't a Metrolinx project anymore (Toronto took all responsibility for it).

Their funding contribution is still mentioned on the list in that page.

I think that Metrolinx has been dropped as a partner for the Bloor-Danforth extension. They don't own the route, nor do they have any experience with Toronto subway operations. I'd expect the same thing of the Relief Line.

Metrolinx will only own, operate and maintain Toronto's LRT routes. The City of Toronto/TTC will own and maintain all Toronto and regional subway routes.

Last edited:
I keep hearing about this BIG-U thing but haven't seen anything official about it.. Apparently Anne Golden talked about it at a talk somewhere, and I have seen it mentioned in a couple places, but since when is an EA being done on it?

There was an information session at Scarborough City Center today in regards to the Subway and Eglinton Crosstown. Minister Brad Dugid and Councillor Glenn De Baeremaeker were on location discussing with the people on the options choosen. Of course there was the debate again, subway vs LRT with some of the people.

At this point, I am thinking they should just convert it into a busway. Relatively quick and cheap, and will allow buses from north Scarborough and Durham to funnel directly into the subway.

Hmm, interesting idea. The capacity during peak may be a little tight, but if the Stouffville line is electrified and a spur is built to STC (see my GO REX plan for that, yes I know, shameless plug), that would certainly bring it down into a range where BRT would handle the demand.

It would also allow for a wide variety of new bus routes. Centennial-Kennedy, Malvern-Kennedy, etc. Run local in a given Scarborough neighbourhood, and then run express (or semi-express) to Kennedy.

Given it takes about 3 minutes to change at Bloor-Yonge rather than closer to 10 minutes at Union, I doubt that GO will ever draw that many people away from the subway, unless they can make it a lot faster.
3 minutes to change at Bloor-Yonge during rush hour? Have you actually tried doing this? Usually the line of people on the Yonge Line southbound platform is 6 deep, and you have to wait a couple of trains before you can actually get on a southbound train. I'd say the transfer times are pretty similar between Bloor-Yonge and Union.

Back