News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I thought ICTS was ruled out because it couldn't be made a continuous line with Eglinton, without grade separating Eglinton the whole way and boosting overall costs.

The SLRT plan at least eliminates the transfer at Kennedy for core bound traffic. The SSE does the same. The ICTS, if not implmented along all of Eglinton, we will simply waste billions to maintain the status quo which ticks off a lot of Scarborough. No point. If we're going to spend the money, LRT or Subway and ditch the transfer.

On this note, I'd also argue very strongly for spending the money to convert the Sheppard stubway and to then promote the whole LRT plan as a transfer reduction strategy. That would sell LRT incredibly well in Scarborough. At minimum, it will split off all but the most ardent subway advocates. Why the politicians don't want to do this is beyond me. Converting Sheppard is far, far cheaper than extending the Bloor-Danforth. And getting rid of transfers will dramatically improve the LRT "brand". Instead, they keep adding transfer, insistent on aggravating the public in the burbs.

On this note, I'd also argue very strongly for spending the money to convert the Sheppard stubway and to then promote the whole LRT plan as a transfer reduction strategy. That would sell LRT incredibly well in Scarborough. At minimum, it will split off all but the most ardent subway advocates. Why the politicians don't want to do this is beyond me. Converting Sheppard is far, far cheaper than extending the Bloor-Danforth. And getting rid of transfers will dramatically improve the LRT "brand". Instead, they keep adding transfer, insistent on aggravating the public in the burbs.

I too would like a continuous route. That being said I do not know if bringing up conversion of the Sheppard line to LRT would make people happy. Once they found out the price (500million-1billion) they may simply argue for extending the line further east for the same amount of money. If you showed them a crosstown Sheppard LRT from say downsview to the zoo they would say build it as a Subway. The reply would be well you can only get a third of it complete for the same amount of money. Which then the pro subway advocate would say "we will take it and wait for future funding for the rest. Why should Scarborough be short changed?!!?!!!!!!" Now I would like to think people would think and act differently but I sometimes wonder if the real battle for subways in Scarborough is not fought by transit users and advocated but home owners who want the value of their houses inflated.

With the TTC now buying 4 car consists for the Sheppard I think that expenditure will be used to fend off any notion of conversion. Thing is, if Sheppard was converted to LRT there might be a better chance of it being extended west to Downsview, since it could run partially on the service, than the subway extension Pasternak is always looking for. But it would be a hell of an undertaking to lower the track (some) and platforms (more) and deal with the existing elevators/escalators and so on.

@sixrings

The cost differential is such, that at best the conversion cost buys you 2-3 km maybe. That won't even get them to Warden. So it's easy justify. And it's easy to sell, when you're getting rid of the transfer and buses on Sheppard entirely.

With the TTC now buying 4 car consists for the Sheppard I think that expenditure will be used to fend off any notion of conversion. Thing is, if Sheppard was converted to LRT there might be a better chance of it being extended west to Downsview, since it could run partially on the service, than the subway extension Pasternak is always looking for. But it would be a hell of an undertaking to lower the track (some) and platforms (more) and deal with the existing elevators/escalators and so on.

No idea why 4-car consists rules out conversion. That just speaks to demand and capacity. Which can easily be address with additional capacity on the Yonge-Don Mills portion. As for extension, I'd argue that Sheppard should be going past Downsview. Till Jane. And arguably right to Weston. There are so many intersecting bus routes that Sheppard could capture. But Downsview would certainly be a start.

No idea why 4-car consists rules out conversion. That just speaks to demand and capacity. Which can easily be address with additional capacity on the Yonge-Don Mills portion. As for extension, I'd argue that Sheppard should be going past Downsview. Till Jane. And arguably right to Weston. There are so many intersecting bus routes that Sheppard could capture. But Downsview would certainly be a start.

Do you want a Sheppard Subway or Sheppard LRT as far as Jane and Weston?

SkyTrain works fine in the snow if the city has the raw intelligence to put in the proper heating mechanisms.

For the money wasted on the SRT teardown/conversion, they would redo the SRT track/corners, buy a new fleet of MK111 vehicles and elevate the entire Eglinton Line and make it SkyTrain with vastly higher capacity, cheaper to build, faster, and much cheaper to run due to being grade separated and hence automated.

You guys are comparing the MK1 crates you have to MK111 trains which is like comparing a 1975 Chevy Chevette to a 2016 BMW.

If however Toronto doesn't want to it can always do the unthinkable...........do a total rehab of the MK1 cars like Vancouver just did to 150 of it's original MK1 cars giving them 15 years of extra life but much more comfortable and quieter than their original condition.

This whole conversation is absurd.................just fix the SRT, save a few billion and use the money elsewhere.

You know, if Scarberians wanted to get annoyed about not getting their share - Never mind subways - here's the map of locations where beer is now sold in grocery stores. Scarboro? Not one. Etobicoke only has two.

North York/Vaughan sure have a bunch.....and close to their subways, at that.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/the-...ont-grocery-stores-now-selling-beer-1.2701206

- Paul

Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 8.16.54 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 8.16.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 8.16.54 PM.png
    306.5 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
You know, if Scarberians wanted to get annoyed about not getting their share - Never mind subways - here's the map of locations where beer is now sold in grocery stores. Scarboro? Not one. Etobicoke only has two.

Because buying booze is clearly one of the most pressing issues in Scarborough, second to none. :p

Because buying booze is clearly one of the most pressing issues in Scarborough, second to none. :p

Well the lack of investment in Scarborough is huge. When your own City tries to cheap out on an already massive neglect area why would anyone else invest... I have to drive to Pickering these days for many quality services.

Just build the subway in Scarborough as it will at-least somewhat integrate this core of the area & our Politicians are too polarized to build a quality system using any other technology. The LRT patch lines and ridiculous transfers continue to segregate Scarborough and in turn makes it less attractive for anyone to commute further East therefore less reason for business investment.

The lack of Poltical leadership in Toronto's suburbs is a disgrace.

Last edited:

North York/Vaughan sure have a bunch.....and close to their subways, at that.

- Paul
Not a single location in downtown Toronto either...I'm not sure what your point is.

Not a single location in downtown Toronto either...I'm not sure what your point is.

It was just a bit of irony. Debating transit in Scarboro is heavy on emotion but laden with intangibles and conspiracy vs screw-up arguments that are impossible to prove. Whereas the beer store distribution for Scarboro is a flat zero. Nada.

Two in east Toronto but non in west Toronto, none in Scarboro, four close together on the top of the city. I'm astounded that there was not more of a political balancing act in this. It's not methodical enough to allege conspiracy.

Pardon me for hoping to get a chuckle.

- Paul

Back