News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

What is the ridership east of Kennedy?

The ENTIRE Sheppard Subway is projected to have 7,000 peak point ridership. That is very, very, very low usage for a subway. We typically only see usage that low at or near terminal stations, not at the busiest point of the line.

So for ridership to drop off at Kennedy, when ridership was already very low is horrible.
I can't give you any number since I have never collect them in the first place, other than observation. Route 190 starts/stops at Kennedy and that makes the ridership lower east of Kennedy.

It must be baffling to visitors to Toronto reading about this and the horror of having to change trains at Kennedy - when lots of cities have 5+ lines and it's common to take 2 or 3 trains (or more!) to your destination. It really feels like Scarborough thinks single-seat is a "right".

I can't give you any number since I have never collect them in the first place, other than observation. Route 190 starts/stops at Kennedy and that makes the ridership lower east of Kennedy.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's less than 3,000 pphpd at that point. It's ridiculous that people want to build a subway out there.

It must be baffling to visitors to Toronto reading about this and the horror of having to change trains at Kennedy - when lots of cities have 5+ lines and it's common to take 2 or 3 trains (or more!) to your destination. It really feels like Scarborough thinks single-seat is a "right".
Not to mention that the transfers in some other cities are so complex that it can take 5+ minutes to get from one line to another at a transfer point. Yet people in Scarborough complain about having to use 2 escalators to get from the subway to the SRT.

...or just one! I thought there was one that did the full two levels all in one shot. Or am I misremembering that?

The density to support a subway already exists. They saw the need for a Sheppard Subway way back in 1985, yet now we must wait another 35 years?

Mid-century? That's a joke right?:
They used faulty population and employment projections to justify the Sheppard subway in 1985.

It's two actually.

1 from RT Platform to bus platform and from bus to subway platform

To elaborate, changing from the subway to the SRT involves going up three floors. Subway > Mezzanine > Bus > SRT

There is that one escalator that skips the mezzanine level. Depending on what part of the train you get off of, or if you're travelling in the counter-peak direction, there's a good chance you might find yourself heading up or down three flights of stairs or escalators anyway. You also might find yourself "switching back" because stairs and escalators may not be laid out in such a way that you have to walk a bit on a floor to find the next stair or escalator up.

The awkward interchanges in other cities are a result of dealing with limited space to work with and due to adding new lines later which weren't originally planned for. For a interchange built completely from scratch, Kennedy IS poorly designed. Compare to Kipling, built at the exact same time, where transfer to the Etobicoke LRT from the subway would have involved going up only a single floor (and transfer from buses would have been cross-platform).

The Scarborough LRT plans would have moved the SLRT platform down to the mezzanine level, fixing this issue with Kennedy Station.

Not only does Sheppard have weak feeder routes, there are bus routes which directly compete for its patronage...

The Sheppard subway is literally a feeder route too, lest we forget.
Its hard to be anything else when it is only 6km long.
Extending it to Downsview and interlining both north and south would go a long way in making it more useful.

I wonder what the Yonge line ridership would be if it were 6km long and only extended up to Davisville?

I wonder what the Yonge line ridership would be if it were 6km long and only extended up to Davisville?

It was pretty busy from day one when it only went to Eglinton.

Its hard to be anything else when it is only 6km long.
Extending it to Downsview and interlining both north and south would go a long way in making it more useful.

Yonge subway line 6km from Union to Davisville would still be very busy and waaay busier than Sheppard.

A 6km subway downtown going east-west near King street would also be way busier.

Back