News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Your map above is also misleading as the SMLRT was never funded

And as wonderful as the additional transfer on Sheppard and keeping the trasnfer on RT would be, Scarborough will be far better off now that planning has been removed from hyper polarized City. Unfortunate Scarborough even had to navigate thru massive outside political games to have these subways delayed this far

I never said it was a funded plan. I just found it strange a map was posted without the context of the other lines. That's it. Just context.

I never said it was a funded plan. I just found it strange a map was posted without the context of the other lines. That's it. Just context.

I never said you said it was a funded plan. I just found the map you posted came without context in the additional lines. That's it. Just context.

Ford is unanimously the dumbest mayor we've had in 15 year, yet somehow came up with the best transit plan. What does that say.?
Maybe the others were playing politics instead of trying to help build the city.

The "best transit plan" as long as you don't consider future expansion on Eglinton East or transit projects anywhere else in the city.

Ford played politics to get elected, and his foolishness has delayed progress for decades.

The "best transit plan" as long as you don't consider future expansion on Eglinton East or transit projects anywhere else in the city.

Ford played politics to get elected, and his foolishness has delayed progress for decades.

And that plan cancelled three other lines, and took $2 Billion taxpayer dollars and buried it in the ground to save only a few minutes of travel time to a location where there is already a Subway Station and a GO Station.

I was thinking of moving near STC at 36 Lee Centre drive and checked my commute times from downtown (Church and Front) on Google maps. With TTC, it was 1 hour and 17 minutes involving 4 different vehicles - Line 1, Line 2, SRT, a bus.

That's a distance of 25 km and it takes 30 to 55 minutes by car (again using Google maps). Don't you think that this is shameful considering the commute is from almost the centre of downtown to one of the largest secondary business districts in the city with high density residential?

I checked it for my spouse who works in Midtown at Yonge and St. Clair, it's the same again. 4 vehicles and 1 hour 16 min of time. I am not even talking about commuting from some random place in Etobicoke to some random place in Scarborough.

Now if someone says that Line 2 should not be extended and there should be a linear break in transit by using LRT, they should think again.

I was thinking of moving near STC at 36 Lee Centre drive and checked my commute times from downtown (Church and Front) on Google maps. With TTC, it was 1 hour and 17 minutes involving 4 different vehicles - Line 1, Line 2, SRT, a bus.

That's a distance of 25 km and it takes 30 to 55 minutes by car (again using Google maps). Don't you think that this is shameful considering the commute is from almost the centre of downtown to one of the largest secondary business districts in the city with high density residential?

I checked it for my spouse who works in Midtown at Yonge and St. Clair, it's the same again. 4 vehicles and 1 hour 16 min of time. I am not even talking about commuting from some random place in Etobicoke to some random place in Scarborough.

Now if someone says that Line 2 should not be extended and there should be a linear break in transit by using LRT, they should think again.

Simple solution.

Take the GO.

It's a Saturday night and there's a 58 minute route that involves just one transfer at the Eglinton GO and a short walk from Union.

Do I think it's shameful? No. Kind of expected when you're 25km away.

I did a quick Google search for a commute from Fresh Meadows in Queens to Manhattan (no particular addresses). It's just under 25km and the shortest trip is 1 hour and 17 minutes. It's almost exactly the same if you're leaving at 7am on Monday morning.

There's always room for improvement, but that doesn't mean a subway is justified. I seriously question how much time you'd save with the SSE.

Assuming your trip starts at Kennedy, it's still 52 minutes (via TTC). I'd think you're looking at at least an additional 8 - 10 minutes added to your ride departing at an STC subway station, along with at least another 10 minute walk from your residence or bus ride.

Simple solution.

Take the GO.

It's a Saturday night and there's a 58 minute route that involves just one transfer at the Eglinton GO and a short walk from Union.

I did a quick Google search for a commute from Fresh Meadows in Queens to Manhattan (no particular addresses). It's just under 25km and the shortest trip is 1 hour and 17 minutes. It's almost exactly the same if you're leaving at 7am on Monday morning.

There's always room for improvement, but that doesn't mean a subway is justified. I seriously question how much time you'd save with the SSE.

Assuming your trip starts at Kennedy, it's still 52 minutes (via TTC). I'd think you're looking at at least an additional 8 - 10 minutes added to your ride departing at an STC subway station, along with at least another 10 minute walk from your residence or bus ride.
And that's going to union only...and frequencies are not competitive. Not the same thing.

How much shorter would it be with SSE instead, like a couple mins? Also with the Line 3 upgrade plan there was to be a station at Bellamy, so if you're at 36 Lee Centre Dr that'd actually give you a 5min walk to a subway station. Less than to current McCowan station (1km). And if SSE's SC station is to be where the city had it west of McCowan, that'd be even farther (+1km; a distance that usually requires a bus).

Line 3's upgrade plan was actually pretty decent for serving SC and its surrounding area. And on the topic of time it takes to travel places, just intra downtown travel alone could take almost an hour and involve three transfers.

Simple solution.

Take the GO.

Using GO means almost tripling the transit fare. In your NYC example, would you need to ride 4 vehicles?

Should you need to change that many vehicles when the journey is not even crosstown in a relatively small city? Yes, Toronto with a population of 2.7 million is small when compared to large cities. GTA is big, not Toronto.

Using GO means almost tripling the transit fare. In your NYC example, would you need to ride 4 vehicles?

Depending on where you're going in Manhattan, yes.

The route I provided does not require 4 vehicles. It's one bus ride and one train ride.

If you live closer to Pickering than you do the downtown core, why would you expect to pay any less?

Should you need to change that many vehicles when the journey is not even crosstown in a relatively small city? Yes, Toronto with a population of 2.7 million is small when compared to large cities. GTA is big, not Toronto.

You don't have to change that many vehicles. That's a choice you're making.

In the OL thread, I believe it was mentioned that if people choose to live downtown they have to accept more noise and (potentially) above ground transit.

I'd say if you choose to live far outside the downtown core in the suburbs, then you need to realize it comes with fewer transit options and longer commutes.

There's no way around that.

First of all, it is not closer to Pickering in any way. There's still 10 km of distance between this place and Pickering border which is not much different from the distance between this place and Yonge (14 km).

Saying that STC is far outside the downtown is ludicrous. I am not talking about Whitby or Ajax or even Port Union. STC is "FAR" closer to Yonge than it is to the fringes of GTA. Just for reference, eastern limit of GTA is 78 km from Yonge on 401 while this place is just 14 km from Yonge. It is practically in the centre of the metropolitan area. I haven't even gone on to consider Greater Golden Horseshoe.

Somehow, having a direct subway line from downtown to Etobicoke or even outside the city of Toronto to Vaughan and Richmond Hill is okay but having subway to the centre of Scarborough is a problem.

Note: I don't even live in Scarborough and neither do I plan to live there.

Back