News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Good. Everyone got what they wanted.
Darkly comic, but yeah. There's a lot of bitterness on all sides.

At any rate, it is being built - even if it is the most cost/km line to date. Unfortunately, we haven't learned from it at all, and we keep repeating the following mistakes with other transit projects and they're just going to keep getting more and more expensive:
  • Meddling with plans
  • Overbuilding - both in supported capacity and in stations
  • Deep-bore tunneling instead of considering at-grade, cut-and-cover, trenched or elevated options

The year is 2020. The SRT is about to shut down and the subway still isn’t under construction. It’s supposed to open in 2030, but knowing Toronto, we won’t see it til 2034. We’ve had 15 years to figure this out and failed. This is as close to a tragedy as you can get in transit planning.

It's cool man you're not supposed to transfer on transit, let's just keep doing it SUBWAYS SUBWAYS SUBWAYS.

To think Scarborough could have their own version of the Ontario Line up and running right now.

This is what happens when Scarborough council had to compromise on corners cuts with each plan to make a deal with outside Politicians. This crap would have never happened per-amalgamation and I would be the subway extension would have been planned along the previous corridor into Malvern

Thankful that the Province took this away to fix and put an end to the endless poorly designed LRT and subway stop removal games. Best of a sad situation

This is what happens when Scarborough council had to compromise on corners cuts with each plan to make a deal with outside Politicians. This crap would have never happened per-amalgamation and I would be the subway extension would have been planned along the previous corridor into Malvern

Thankful that the Province took this away to fix and put an end to the endless poorly designed LRT and subway stop removal games. Best of a sad situation

Enjoy the wait - and the ride on buses.

AoD

As opposed to the great RT?

Who talks to people like this anyway? Jeez.

I don't call RT "great", I call it not ideal - but serviceable when it works; and there are alternatives that would have allowed BD itself to be extended cheaper and faster. But nope - we have to do things the hard way. We have to argue it is impossible to reuse the corridor because it will lead to a prolonged shutdown without a replacement. Well guess what, people have been warned of this potential outcome - and the chickens have come home to roost.

As to the second question - you should review your own posting record and the language you have used.

AoD

Last edited:
I don't call RT "great", I call it servicable; and there are alternative that would have allowed BD to be extended cheaper and faster. But nope - we have to do things the hard way.

As to the second question - you should review your own postings.

AoD

If you read the start of this thread on UT which leans to a non Scarborough centric bias most here never expecting plaything other then subway connection. What the heck would you think the people who lived here expected? This poorly designed LRT scheme and the fight by outsiders to preserver it set us back over a decade. It should have never happened and clearly there was something wrong when it headlined an entire Mayor campaign and no Mayoral candidate, Premier and 99% of elected politicians within Scarborough at all levels and all strips supported better.

Second I would never talk down to another person in that tone as you just did without it being in response to arrogant baiting. Which sometimes happens here, unfortunately.

"have fun on the bus"
- This is serious unnecessary arrogant baiting

Second I would never talk down to another person in that tone as you just did without it being in response to arrogant baiting. Which sometimes happens here, unfortunately.

"have fun on the bus"
- This is serious unnecessary arrogant baiting

You must have conveniently neglected your previous incarnation as Coffey. And more recently:

Guess karma cut both ways.

AoD

Darkly comic, but yeah. There's a lot of bitterness on all sides.

At any rate, it is being built - even if it is the most cost/km line to date. Unfortunately, we haven't learned from it at all, and we keep repeating the following mistakes with other transit projects and they're just going to keep getting more and more expensive:
  • Meddling with plans
  • Overbuilding - both in supported capacity and in stations
  • Deep-bore tunneling instead of considering at-grade, cut-and-cover, trenched or elevated options
I can't for Doug to win reelection and the exact same thing to happen again on Sheppard East in 2 years. All sides could have handled this much, much better.

Back