News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

So sad that it will be another decade before riders can ride rail to STC once the SRT is close in the next few year when they could be ridding LRT today not only to STC, but to Malvern if the proposed LRT was built as plan.

Endure 2 years of SRT shutdown to replace it with light rail, end up with a network that still requires a transfer at Kennedy.

Or, endure 7 years of SRT shutdown because it can't be kept on life support any more (if that's the case), and get a transit network that's actually integrated with the rest of TTC.

The interim period will be annoying, but the resulting system will last for many decades while the initial pains will be forgotten.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: what makes anyone think the LRT would have been delivered on time given that most infrastructure projects are not? For the record, I generally support LRT in the suburbs.

Subway to Sheppard East is definitely the best plan moving forward. I supported the LRT years ago when proposed by Miller but my position has since evolved. Would've been nice to see a full LRT system in Scarborough, but I get the sentiment that transit investment in Scarborough has been led than adequate, especially considering how much transit capacity exists in North York and how, over time that has affected their land values and liveability.

Extend Line 4 to McCowan and Line 2 to Sheppard, from a network perspective It's inevitable. However I do feel that there'll continue to be a need for LRTs in Scarborough particularly to UTSC and Malvern Town Centre, and to a lesser extent Finch East and Kingston Road.

Ford is unanimously the dumbest mayor we've had in 15 year, yet somehow came up with the best transit plan. What does that say.?
I think it says you don't remember exactly what Rob Ford proposed.

My favourite part of the plan was building a station between Bayview and Bessarion. And closing Coxwell.

It did nothing for Etobicoke, Eglinton, or downtown. Cancelling Eglinton was a stunning proposal!

1603472106364.png

Reactions: syn
First of all, it is not closer to Pickering in any way. There's still 10 km of distance between this place and Pickering border which is not much different from the distance between this place and Yonge (14 km).

Saying that STC is far outside the downtown is ludicrous. I am not talking about Whitby or Ajax or even Port Union. STC is "FAR" closer to Yonge than it is to the fringes of GTA. Just for reference, eastern limit of GTA is 78 km from Yonge on 401 while this place is just 14 km from Yonge. It is practically in the centre of the metropolitan area. I haven't even gone on to consider Greater Golden Horseshoe.

Somehow, having a direct subway line from downtown to Etobicoke or even outside the city of Toronto to Vaughan and Richmond Hill is okay but having subway to the centre of Scarborough is a problem.

Note: I don't even live in Scarborough and neither do I plan to live there.
There's no subway going to Richmond hill yet.
Endure 2 years of SRT shutdown to replace it with light rail, end up with a network that still requires a transfer at Kennedy.

Or, endure 7 years of SRT shutdown because it can't be kept on life support any more (if that's the case), and get a transit network that's actually integrated with the rest of TTC.

The interim period will be annoying, but the resulting system will last for many decades while the initial pains will be forgotten.
Ok, now that we solved that, we have to build the subway on Sheppard to McCowan. We have to eliminate the transfer at Fairview Mall. The slippery slope is real.

What is so wrong with transfers around here? Do ppl really complain that they have to leave one train, go upstairs or downstairs and take another train?? The biggest gripes I see are about delays and busses travel time.

like i always say in this thread, build EELRT asap, replace the SRT with an LRT and build a lrt line east from don mills. That satisfies Scarborough 10 fold.

we would have a line on sheppard going west, a line on eglinton going west, and a line on danforth going west + a integrated network within scarborough, but noo we want to extend danforth line because ppl don't wanna transfer at kennedy??

Reactions: syn
The problem with Line 3 is that it's now getting in the way of expanding the Stouffville GO service, which would be able to relieve Scarborough much better than the status quo. I think it might be in our best interest to scrap the tracks and preserve the right-of-way for future service. Personally I would love to see Line 4 extended along the route east of Midland to connect STC, Centennial College, and Malvern, instead of attempting to force a dense terminus in the middle of nowhere. My biggest objection with the current plan is that the extension from STC to McCowan won't pay itself off.

The problem with Line 3 is that it's now getting in the way of expanding the Stouffville GO service, which would be able to relieve Scarborough much better than the status quo. I think it might be in our best interest to scrap the tracks and preserve the right-of-way for future service. Personally I would love to see Line 4 extended along the route east of Midland to connect STC, Centennial College, and Malvern, instead of attempting to force a dense terminus in the middle of nowhere. My biggest objection with the current plan is that the extension from STC to McCowan won't pay itself off.

GO has already double tracked the Stouffville corridor beside the SRT, it's not in the way, unless you mean adding a station at Lawrence, but that is better as a TTC station.

GO has already double tracked the Stouffville corridor beside the SRT, it's not in the way, unless you mean adding a station at Lawrence, but that is better as a TTC station.
You're right, but it wouldn't be terrible if there was a station at Lawrence and McCowan instead, with a reservation for a GO station once the line gets electrified. Either solution could also benefit a lot from Lawrence East BRT.

What is so wrong with transfers around here? Do ppl really complain that they have to leave one train, go upstairs or downstairs and take another train?? The biggest gripes I see are about delays and busses travel time.

like i always say in this thread, build EELRT asap, replace the SRT with an LRT and build a lrt line east from don mills. That satisfies Scarborough 10 fold.

we would have a line on sheppard going west, a line on eglinton going west, and a line on danforth going west + a integrated network within scarborough, but noo we want to extend danforth line because ppl don't wanna transfer at kennedy??
People don't complain about short transfers: the bus-subway transfers at most stations are super easy thanks to cut-cover sections and fare-paid bus terminals. I've never heard anyone complain about transferring to the Don Mills bus at Don Mills Station either.

No one ever complains about having to Transfer at St. George, Bloor-Yonge, or Sheppard-Yonge, but there are complaints of the transfers at Union, Dundas West (to GO), Main Street (To GO), Spadina, and Kennedy. Why? Because those transfers are insanely cumbersome. When building a network, you can't expect people to transfer unnecessarily.

Take a trip that requires the use of the SRT: bus -> SRT -> Line 2 -> Line 1/Other Bus/Streetcar. That's at least 3 transfers. It adds time, complexity, and risk to one's trip.

Back