News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

No, that's out now, as they've already started building the station box, and have already launched the TBMs from Sheppard East station. I suppose they could build a huge curve stretching way north - but they won't' it was never the plan.

It's a shame though, that they didn't angle both lines northeast/southwest at Sheppard East, to facilitate simple transfers like at St. George (or even like Lionel-Groulx and Snowdon in Montreal - which is a brilliant design).

yes the Sheppard East station box placement being north of Sheppard is a bit of a missed opportunity unfortunately.

i'm no engineer, but couldn't it still loop around to connect to a Line 4 east extension despite it's awkward placement if there's enough desire to make that connection happen. the one seat trip was a big selling point to getting this Scarborough Subway Extension built in the first place wasn't it? not having to transfer at Kennedy. it might also create a better connection/transfer to Agincourt GO station too.

yes the Sheppard East station box placement being north of Sheppard is a bit of a missed opportunity unfortunately.

i'm no engineer, but couldn't it still loop around to connect to a Line 4 east extension despite it's awkward placement if there's enough desire to make that connection happen. the one seat trip was a big selling point to getting this Scarborough Subway Extension built in the first place wasn't it? not having to transfer at Kennedy. it might also create a better connection/transfer to Agincourt GO station too.

The next "station" west of McCowan Road would likely be Brimley Road. Having Line 4/2 curve north would be possible.

1677521228631.png

From link.
2022-02-24_shp_overhead_plan.png

Scarborough Centre will already get a connection to Stouffville line at Kennedy station. It's overkill to get a one seat ride to two separate GO stations that are on the same line.

It would be theoretically possible - that's what I was trying to imply above.

But if there was any desire to do this, it would have come up already. It won't happen.

The next "station" west of McCowan Road would likely be Brimley Road. Having Line 4/2 curve north would be possible.

View attachment 458847
From link.
2022-02-24_shp_overhead_plan.png

so something like this could be possible in the future theoretically? also creating an easy connection to a hypothetical future Midtown Line Line station west of Brimley?

Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 1.14.01 PM.png

Scarborough Centre will already get a connection to Stouffville line at Kennedy station. It's overkill to get a one seat ride to two separate GO stations that are on the same line.
sure, but what about a connection to a Midtown Line in the future?

I suspect the province wants to take Line 2 to Markham Centre. Sheppard East to Malvern Town Centre. In the very long term.

Absolutely. The "loop" is a creative bit of imagination given today's built form..... but both lines will need to push farther east and north down the road. Joining the lines impedes that growth.

- Paul

I suspect the province wants to take Line 2 to Markham Centre. Sheppard East to Malvern Town Centre. In the very long term.
Agreed.

Though I'd also be tempted to take Line 4 south of the 401, and meet Centennial College at Nielsen, then University of Toronto Scarborough. Which sounds crazy, but it's only about 5 km.

Though if you wanted real crazy, you could curve up to Malvern and back down between Centennial and UTS - which is only 7.5 km. :)

I would imagine LRT is better suited for this than two heavy subway lines that have always been tunneled at great cost. One could use CP’s ROW to reach Malvern, sure, but Line 2 to Markham seems like overkill and would be too similar to the parallel GO line, now RER-ified with similar stop spacing. At least with LRT, you would cement it as a connection between Markham-STC and the subway as STC-downtown, with downtown-Markham covered by the Stouffville line. Not to mention how long Line 2 would be if extended all the way to Markham. Then again, whatever York Region wants

In general, LRTs seem to be best suited for Scarborough as key destinations/origins are just a tad too spread out and misaligned from one another to connect with just two linear subway lines. If you’ve ever tried scribbling on a map, one will quickly see this.

what is Markham Centre? is it the same thing as Unionville GO or is it Markham Civic Centre/Warden and Hwy 7?

either way that's fine i guess. if they already built Line 1 to Richmond Hill and Vaughn then might as well do this too.

what is Markham Centre? is it the same thing as Unionville GO or is it Markham Civic Centre/Warden and Hwy 7?

either way that's fine i guess. if they already built Line 1 to Richmond Hill and Vaughn then might as well do this too.
This will also allow sheppard to continue east to Pickering Town Centre.

Back