News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I swear if Urban Toronto had it's way it would cover the entire GTA in "LRT" lines, glorified streetcars with tight stop spacing and nebulous transit priority...
Guess we can forego traveling medium to long distances at any sort of speed, frequency, or reliability.

On STC, I see a lot of merit in diverting the line there. But I honestly don't understand why we are debating this so much when in reality Dougboy will just take out his big purple marker, draw a straight line on the map, and call it a day.

I swear if Urban Toronto had it's way it would cover the entire GTA in "LRT" lines, glorified streetcars with tight stop spacing and nebulous transit priority...
Guess we can forego traveling medium to long distances at any sort of speed, frequency, or reliability.

On STC, I see a lot of merit in diverting the line there. But I honestly don't understand why we are debating this so much when in reality Dougboy will just take out his big purple marker, draw a straight line on the map, and call it a day.
Actually, if you wanted to be accurate, if Urban Toronto had its way it would eat us out of house and home and bankrupt the entire country building subways to every hole in Ontario.

Actually, if you wanted to be accurate, if Urban Toronto had its way it would eat us out of house and home and bankrupt the entire country building subways to every hole in Ontario.
That's just Scarborough, man.

More than likely no one could agree on what to build… we’d maybe get Line 1 to Steeles before reconvening about things….

More than likely no one could agree on what to build… we’d maybe get Line 1 to Steeles before reconvening about things….
People won't have to agree on what to build. We will build everything, everywhere. We'll also have buses running parallel to subway with 5 min frequency to serve people living in between subway stations.

People won't have to agree on what to build. We will build everything, everywhere. We'll also have buses running parallel to subway with 5 min frequency to serve people living in between subway stations.
Except that while the subway is running at 5± minute headways, the "local service" buses run at 15 to 30 minute headways.

Except that while the subway is running at 5± minute headways, the "local service" buses run at 15 to 30 minute headways.
You are not thinking big enough. People deserve 5 min bus service even with subway. Those who live further away from the bus stop should be offered a shuttle van to the bus stop.

You are not thinking big enough. People deserve 5 min bus service even with subway. Those who live further away from the bus stop should be offered a shuttle van to the bus stop.
Based on UTs real estate section I thought the goal was that everyone was literally "steps" from the subway.

"Deserve", but it is not. See link for 97 Yonge. Every 30 minutes at Lawrence Station for the bus. I'm expecting the same lousy service for the Line 5's parallel "local" bus.

I'll believe transit priority is possible in Toronto when the streetcar routes get it. The Crosstown transit priority plan was made in bad-faith.

how would you give streetcars (or LRT's) priority without a ROW and can a ROW even realistically fit within 20 m. street width?

Spadina = 36 m
St. Clair = 30 m.
Queen's Quay = 27 m.

King, Queen, Dundas, Bathurst, Roncy, Broadview & Gerrard = 20 m.

the existing streetcar ROWs all exist on wider streets. i'm all for giving streetcars priority it would be great if that were the case, but i have a tough time envisioning it in practice.

using King as an example, I guess it could work if you gave 2 out of 4 lanes to streetcar ROWs, had no street parking, no bike lanes and no left turns. commuters would still have to cross one lane of live traffic to board streetcars like they do currently, but it could work in theory.

i would fully support optimizing the streetcar network by giving each route a ROW + signal priority + less stops.

You don't need a full St. Clair style ROW to have transit priority. In fact, you don't need any ROW at all - just have a transponder trigger the traffic light as the vehicle approaches the intersection, and then load/offload at the far side of the intersection. The King transit mall is already optimized for such a concept.

You also don't need a ROW to have transit only lanes. One lane for transit, one lane for traffic, no parking, as many cities in Europe do.

Back