And - I know we've been over this ground before too - contracts have definitely been signed, you just haven't seen them, any more than you've seen the obviously signed-and-sealed Ontario Place deal. It's a commercial agreement and while one could certainly argue that we taxpayers should be able to see these deals, there is no way the Province approves massive EMZOs or starts tearing down trees etc. without signed deals. Why would the province announce a deal or create a website like https://www.engagehightech.ca/ and pass legislation and put out a press release from the minister (linked at the website) or otherwise enable a TOC when they don't even have a contract with the proponent? That's absurd.

Can you point to where it was announced that the contract/commercial agreement was made and money changed hands?

I ask, because clearly my google-foo is not strong enough. The only mention of Metrus paying hilariously comes from this thread. So yeah - forgive me if I don’t just take this on faith.

I’ll also point out that at least we know some specifics about the OP deal. The moneys involved, what the government is on the hook for, etc. There’s absolutely nothing out there on these sites, for which companies are supposedly on the hook for 100s of millions.

Last edited:
Can you point to where it was announced that the contract/commercial agreement was made and money changed hands?

I ask, because clearly my google-foo is not strong enough. The only mention of Metrus paying hilariously comes from this thread. So yeah - forgive me if I don’t just take this on faith.

I should have found this earlier and saved us the trouble but it says right here - High Tech and Bridge TOC commercial deals, both completed in April 2022.

April 2022 is also when the MZOs dropped so seems safe to infer the relationship there: they closed the deal and issued the MZOs, which upzoned the lands and exponentially increased their value, and the Province took their cut of that. (Which makes even more sense when you remember we had a Provincial election in early June. Get it done while you can.)

Also obviously, Clark Station was confirmed BEFORE there was a TOC deal (and it goes without saying Bridge and High Tech were as well).

I should have found this earlier and saved us the trouble but it says right here - High Tech and Bridge TOC commercial deals, both completed in April 2022.
I stand corrected. I was wrong - and you were right.

I may not like the fact that the decision is still (to my mind) nakedly political, but my argument that builders aren’t on the hook for $$$ is wrong. Whether that actually covers the purported costs - who knows, and you’re right - we never will.

Back