I think that change is already started. Electrification + all-day service, all the new lines being built, the transportation master plan, the advent of self-driving cars, and all these transit oriented developments are the start of a complete transformation. Nobody is going to level neighbourhoods in the future to build freeways, but this city is growing quickly and needs to handle greater volumes of movement. Transit using shared vehicles with at minimum partial automation on shared infrastructure, in many forms both big and small, is our future.

Reactions: syn
I think that change is already started. Electrification + all-day service, all the new lines being built, the transportation master plan, the advent of self-driving cars, and all these transit oriented developments are the start of a complete transformation. Nobody is going to level neighbourhoods in the future to build freeways, but this city is growing quickly and needs to handle greater volumes of movement. Transit using shared vehicles with at minimum partial automation on shared infrastructure, in many forms both big and small, is our future.

Agreed. I just hope these transit oriented developments are truly built with transit in mind and not simply focused on density.

It's an approach that needs to be taken across the board - even when designing suburban office parks. Our built form has to put transit at the forefront, instead of us trying to shoehorn expensive extensions into areas that weren't designed for them in the first place.

I realize this won't happen overnight, and isn't practical in many areas. We simply need to do a better job moving forward.

Cummer seems very close to Finch. Cost benefit analysis should dictate what gets a station, but I can't recall if the Royal Orchard or Cummer had a higher rating. Royal Orchard is a really long walk from Bridge or Clark.

Agreed. I just hope these transit oriented developments are truly built with transit in mind and not simply focused on density.
One hopes there is a pedestrian environment to go with it and they don't build a crazy number of traffic lanes. If there is crazy density, a way to get on transit that is removed from the impacts of traffic congestion in a pedestrian friendly way, and not roads with huge traffic carrying capacity, then the road congestion alone caused by that high density will force a transit orientation.

Probably more appropriate for the 'future disruption of transport thread', but autonomous minibus vehicles will be pretty important for getting people to jobs in employment areas. Hopefully that will be an improvement on the pretty dismal bus service as described in that NJB video.

It's an approach that needs to be taken across the board - even when designing suburban office parks. Our built form has to put transit at the forefront, instead of us trying to shoehorn expensive extensions into areas that weren't designed for them in the first place.

I realize this won't happen overnight, and isn't practical in many areas. We simply need to do a better job moving forward.
Transit and active transportation. I think by default these communities can't be all that car oriented if they are being planning with 0.3 parking stalls per unit.

Transit and active transportation. I think by default these communities can't be all that car oriented if they are being planning with 0.3 parking stalls per unit.
Small amounts of parking doesn't automatically mean not car-oriented. Walkable streets, human-scaled street frontages, smaller road widths, plazas and mid-block connections were all featured in the Richmond Hill Centre Secondary Plan. There's no evidence that this would happen if the province gets its way with the MZOs.

Looks like Royal Orchard Station has finally been added! Hopefully, they don't end up removing it down the line again. I hope that the proceeds from the TOC/TOD program will be enough or more than enough to keep the station.

Looks like Royal Orchard Station has finally been added! Hopefully, they don't end up removing it down the line again. I hope that the proceeds from the TOC/TOD program will be enough or more than enough to keep the station.
Any update on Cummer station? That seems to be the last stop on Ford's entire transit plan that didn't go ahead.

Did anyone notice that the YNSE Advance Tunnels RFQ didn't go ahead as scheduled by the end of last month as per IO Market Update (Jan 2022)? Pretty strange if you ask me.

Source: https://www.infrastructureontario.c...ket_Update/January 2022 Pipeline Chart EN.pdf

IO Market Update - May 2022

My thoughts - With the RFQ delayed it seems like this project is not a priority of the Ford government compared to the EGLRT West Extension, SSE and Ontario Line. Makes sense because YNSE can't open until OL is fully functioning and operating for a few months. No point rushing this project and it just sit there waiting on the OL to prove itself.

Yonge North Subway Extension - Advance Tunnel
- RFQ Jun 2022
- RFP Jul - Sep 2022
- Contract Execution Jul - Sep 2023

Yonge North Subway Extension - Stations, Rail and Systems
- RFQ/RFP/Contract Execution - TBD

Link - https://www.infrastructureontario.c...ws/2_Market_Update/May_2022_Market_Update.pdf

IO Market Update - May 2022

My thoughts - With the RFQ delayed it seems like this project is not a priority of the Ford government compared to the EGLRT West Extension, SSE and Ontario Line. Makes sense because YNSE can't open until OL is fully functioning and operating for a few months. No point rushing this project and it just sit there waiting on the OL to prove itself.

Yonge North Subway Extension - Advance Tunnel
- RFQ Jun 2022
- RFP Jul - Sep 2022
- Contract Execution Jul - Sep 2023

Yonge North Subway Extension - Stations, Rail and Systems
- RFQ/RFP/Contract Execution - TBD

Link - https://www.infrastructureontario.c...ws/2_Market_Update/May_2022_Market_Update.pdf
To your last comment, no point in putting out the contracts if they are still working to get Cummer Station added to the line. Cheaper to delay than issue a major change order later on.

Back