If "geotechnical investigations" are still considered construction activity there isn't much progress. That should've been done long ago.

If "geotechnical investigations" are still considered construction activity there isn't much progress. That should've been done long ago.

I think they're deliberately taking it slow to ensure the YNSE doesn't finish construction before the Ontario Line (which is possible if there are delays on OL)

I think they're deliberately taking it slow to ensure the YNSE doesn't finish construction before the Ontario Line (which is possible if there are delays on OL)
If so many people aren't willing to return to the offices, I don't even think it will be a problem for Yonge extension to open before OL and Bloor-Yonge Station expansion. OL would probably be on the backburner if the pandemic happened a couple years earlier.

If so many people aren't willing to return to the offices, I don't even think it will be a problem for Yonge extension to open before OL and Bloor-Yonge Station expansion.
There's certainly been a discussion that we won't see full ridership recovery for a couple of years. I haven't seen much discussion though that it will take a decade!

Sure, some downtown office space utilization wouldn't be as high - but I don't see big companies sitting on underutilized office space for a decade! Things will readjust.

By the time this opens, the pandemic will be long forgotten and I suspect we will see a new normal, which even if 60% (3x a wk) on average commute, we may have a new and different pattern where say congestion and overload on the line maybe 3x a week and no issues on M/F when most folks downtown work from home.

It's almost like we should build transit and mixed use commuties for the future instead of assuming that "everyone lives in suburbs and commutes to downtown for work" is the sort of pattern that will never change (pandemic or not) ...?
🤔

there was an article about the finch station early upgrades, but it was deleted.
still no RFQ lol
1664478164774.png

This will be reposted shortly on the Metrolinx News blog.

there was an article about the finch station early upgrades, but it was deleted.
still no RFQ lol
View attachment 429750

Now reposted:

By the time this opens, the pandemic will be long forgotten and I suspect we will see a new normal, which even if 60% (3x a wk) on average commute, we may have a new and different pattern where say congestion and overload on the line maybe 3x a week and no issues on M/F when most folks downtown work from home.
You know it's great to get the subway to Langstaff but if I had a choice to travel to union on the subway or GO train, I would take the GO train. Assuming that it's running when I need it (unlike today).

You know it's great to get the subway to Langstaff but if I had a choice to travel to union on the subway or GO train, I would take the GO train. Assuming that it's running when I need it (unlike today).

Fair enough. But not everyone on the subway will be taking it to Union, King, or Queen.

Fair enough. But not everyone on the subway will be taking it to Union, King, or Queen.
Take the GO train to Union and walk.

Unless it's Bloor. But there should be some fare integration to end this stupidity of paying full fares to transfer.

Like I said before your TTC fare should be included for every InterCity train arriving in Toronto. That is what gets people out of their cars. Japan does this since when you buy a bullet train ticket it includes your ticket for your local train within city limits.

Take the GO train to Union and walk.

Unless it's Bloor. But there should be some fare integration to end this stupidity of paying full fares to transfer.

Like I said before your TTC fare should be included for every InterCity train arriving in Toronto. That is what gets people out of their cars. Japan does this since when you buy a bullet train ticket it includes your ticket for your local train within city limits.
1) According to Metrolinx, the Subway Extension will be time competitive with GO if you're trying to reach Queen Station, and anything north of that will be faster in the Subway's favour.
2) The point @Rainforest (presumably) was trying to make is that there are more destinations than just downtown Toronto. We are building a massive line on Eglinton that will long term go from Pearson all the way to UTSC and possibly malvern. People need subway service there no? The region doesn't completely revolve around Downtown.

If the GO train is just as slow as the Yonge line (with the added benefit of taking you ANYWHERE instead of just Union), would it not be a good idea, long term, to rip out the Richmond Hill line, abandon the useless section south of Richmond Hill Centre, and replace the section north of it with an extension/branch of Line 1?

If the GO train is just as slow as the Yonge line (with the added benefit of taking you ANYWHERE instead of just Union), would it not be a good idea, long term, to rip out the Richmond Hill line, abandon the useless section south of Richmond Hill Centre, and replace the section north of it with an extension/branch of Line 1?
I'm not sure why you think that the section south of Richmond Hill should be abandoned. There is a plan to make transfers at Oriole easier with the Sheppard subway. And having line 1 meet with this line gives relief to line 1 which is overcrowded. If more frequent service on the GO line is available it can be an alternative for people travelling to the downtown core.
We cannot rely on one more of transportation per corridor since if something were to happen to line 1 we don't have enough buses to cover that many people.

Metrolinx owns the tracks between Union and the Doncaster Diamond. North of the diamond and through Richmond Hill Centre, it is a CN freight mainline. CN will never let it be replaced, we can only talk about adding transit tracks in the same corridor.

A number of ideas have been floated re. dealing with the track south of Richmond Hill. We definitely don't want it abandoned, but it might be straightened and twinned all the way for a more frequent operation and higher capacity.

Back