I never said ONLY a BD extension. I advocate for both.

However I think a BD extension is far more realistic in the short-term than a Milton diversion to MCC.

Seeing that Milton line improvements and diversion has been endorsed by Metrolinx (and its board members, including Hazel), I think it's the more realistic (and superior) option.

I think real unrealistic option is expecting both.

Seeing that Milton line improvements and diversion has been endorsed by Metrolinx (and its board members, including Hazel), I think it's the more realistic (and superior) option.

I think real unrealistic option is expecting both.

The only reason to believe it's unrealistic to do both is due to the cost: they're both big ticket items costing billions of dollars.

I do not think it's unrealistic from a desirability or useability POV.

If the Subway was extended to Hwy 7 and at a junction point with the Go Train, could they not offer a reduced rate for Go trips to Union compared to Subway rates? If they offered a 30% discount for trips to the core, wouldn't that divert much of the traffic onto the go line? ave a buck and get a quicker trip. shoulld be an easy sell.

Based on the cost of a subway token, I just can't see GO charging $1.80 for a fare downtown. As for travel time, you won't find a slower GO line than Richmond Hill. It's 35 minutes downtown from Langstaff station at Yonge and 7. I believe that the subway would almost certainly be faster considering that most people get off between Bloor and King.

Why pay almost twice as much for a longer trip? Whether downtown or in the suburbs, the subway owns the Yonge corridor.

Last edited:
To go with a pipe dream create a Crossrail. That follows the Richmond Hill GO line and then goes underground under Yonge when it gets downtown.

I hope the funding comes for an extension of the Yonge line to Richmond Hill C.C. Does anyone have an extimate on how long the commute time would be from this proposed RHCC centre compared to the nearby GO to union. Hopefully they have a good transfer between the subway, GO train and YRT and Viva buses.

I'm going to have to agree with those people who are saying that the Yonge extension will be built before the DRL. The EA for the Yonge extension is done. The Big Move has the extension in the plan. The new automated train control system being installed on the Yonge line is called a Yonge Extension Phase 1 project. It is going to happen. I think platform doors would assist as well due to the number of fire calls and track level issues. I also agree with those who are saying it doesn't make sense because capacity between Eglinton and Dundas can't handle more people and a DRL is required. However, I don't think what makes sense necessarily dictates what happens (e.g. Sheppard Subway, SRT, fully underground LRT, etc).

The good news is that many initiatives are likely to be implemented about the same time which should help to reduce people who would use the subway from Highway 7 all the way to downtown such as all-day GO service and better fare integration which should make a GO option more popular than the current TTC option during rush hour.

Highway 7 and Yonge to Front and Yonge is about 20 kms, Yonge and Front to Highway 7 and Jane is about 27 kms

Kipling to Kennedy is about 27 kms, so Kipling to Yonge and Bloor is about 13kms

So VCC to RHC is 47 km, and Kipling to Kennedy is 27 km and people say extending BD to MCC would make it too long? That's absurd.

So VCC to RHC is 47 km, and Kipling to Kennedy is 27 km and people say extending BD to MCC would make it too long? That's absurd.

Well, I think you have to take BD as 2 separate lines, as the heaviest demand is pretty much one way on both sides (i.e Kipling to Yonge, and Kennedy to Yonge). So extending BD to MCC (Hurontario and Dundas I assume) would add about 11km making MCC to Yonge and Bloor to make that 24km about 4km longer than Union to Highway 7.

In my view both lines would be too long as pretty much every train would full to walls before the trains hit the heart of the City. In effect, a lot of residents of Toronto would not benefit from these extensions. I still think for a trip that long, we need GO alternatives, including some connections to mid-town routes.

Well, I think you have to take BD as 2 separate lines, as the heaviest demand is pretty much one way on both sides (i.e Kipling to Yonge, and Kennedy to Yonge). So extending BD to MCC (Hurontario and Dundas I assume) would add about 11km making MCC to Yonge and Bloor to make that 24km about 4km longer than Union to Highway 7.

In my view both lines would be too long as pretty much every train would full to walls before the trains hit the heart of the City. In effect, a lot of residents of Toronto would not benefit from these extensions. I still think for a trip that long, we need GO alternatives, including some connections to mid-town routes.

Except not everyone is taking the trip the whole way.

Maybe they should split up the lines differently.

1. Kipling to Union (*)
2. RHC to Union
3. Kennedy to St. George
4. VCC to Union (*)

The two starred lines would overlap between St. George and Union.

Just another idea. And it'd get people from the west straight downtown :)

Except not everyone is taking the trip the whole way.

Maybe they should split up the lines differently.

1. Kipling to Union (*)
2. RHC to Union
3. Kennedy to St. George
4. VCC to Union (*)

The two starred lines would overlap between St. George and Union.

Just another idea. And it'd get people from the west straight downtown :)

I'm sure you would agree that a big problem in the entire system (from an East West perspective) is St. George and Bloor - Yonge Transfer. I would support both extensions (MCC and RHC) where a DRL could be through routed (at least at first) with trains going MCC - Dundas West - Downtown (assuming the connection could be made to run every other MCC train downtown). Then the BD line could run different branches - A through route, the transfer above, and a short turn Dundas West to say Pape (for an eastern DRL).

At least this way people in the core could still be served by trains that will have space for them, a new option to head downtown without a transfer is available, and people in between (those starting further west of Dundas West) and not wanting to go right downtown are all served.

I think without additional options that overlapping you noted would still overload the lines.

I cannot believe this will be considered before a kipling extension to MCC. Why? That will serve more people. All this will do is cram the Finch line.

I cannot believe this will be considered before a kipling extension to MCC. Why? That will serve more people. All this will do is cram the Finch line.

Langstaff is 7km, straight line, has the support of the city councils, and except for a small stretch in old Thornhill is zoned for density increases. A line to MCC is longer, has a low density neighbourhood between origin and destination if a direct route is taken, if an indirect route is taken the route stretches even longer and follows a street which is a lower priority for intensification, and doesn't have large support from council. It is on the regions 25 year plan in York region, and not drawn on a plan in Mississauga. If you ask a bunch of people to design an extension of the Yonge line all of them will draw a line in the same place, you do the same in Mississauga and you will surely get a lot of disagreement. Until Mississauga and Peel put it on a plan, have the discussion about how density will stretch from the Toronto border to MCC, and pledge some sort of funding, the province isn't going to commit to it.

Langstaff is 7km, straight line, has the support of the city councils, and except for a small stretch in old Thornhill is zoned for density increases. A line to MCC is longer, has a low density neighbourhood between origin and destination if a direct route is taken, if an indirect route is taken the route stretches even longer and follows a street which is a lower priority for intensification, and doesn't have large support from council. It is on the regions 25 year plan in York region, and not drawn on a plan in Mississauga. If you ask a bunch of people to design an extension of the Yonge line all of them will draw a line in the same place, you do the same in Mississauga and you will surely get a lot of disagreement. Until Mississauga and Peel put it on a plan, have the discussion about how density will stretch from the Toronto border to MCC, and pledge some sort of funding, the province isn't going to commit to it.

That's fair. Just seems like MCC would be a bigger trip generator.

Back