That's fair. Just seems like MCC would be a bigger trip generator.

As a single point it might be a larger trip generator, but it is a long trip past locations which are not trip generators to get there. If the area between MCC and Kipling intensifies and other locations along the Bloor line intensify into places more people live and go to work then the extension makes more sense. The Yonge line is a series of centres for office space, and high density residential that become places people from Finch could also be going to or coming from (St.Clair, Eglinton, North York), but Bloor really doesn't have that yet so an extension would largely serve a longer trip time which doesn't lure the same ridership.

As a single point it might be a larger trip generator, but it is a long trip past locations which are not trip generators to get there. If the area between MCC and Kipling intensifies and other locations along the Bloor line intensify into places more people live and go to work then the extension makes more sense. The Yonge line is a series of centres for office space, and high density residential that become places people from Finch could also be going to or coming from (St.Clair, Eglinton, North York), but Bloor really doesn't have that yet so an extension would largely serve a longer trip time which doesn't lure the same ridership.

If they plan and build a subway to connect to MCC, the area would intensify, especially if it ran along Dundas which right now is just full of strip malls.

On the topic of a Richmond Hill versus Mississauga extension, I would say that it also comes down to what existing transit preferences and tendencies are for the people that live there. The Yonge subway is entrenched in transit culture up the central spine of York Region, whereas GO really isn't. I grew up in that part of the city and can attest to this. I believe that I would be correct in saying that for Mississauga, the opposite is true - GO always prevails.

Transit expansion projects should support established transit culture for the areas they serve. For communities in York Region situated along Yonge Street, only the subway can serve this role. In the case of Mississauga, GO might be best. I'd say that the best solution for MCC is to build a rail spur heading north underneath Hurontario from Cooksville GO, ending at Square One. This would be far more logical than an outright subway extension.

Besides, I think McCallion is firmly against the idea of a BD extension to Mississauga - and the city would be very hard pressed to pony up funds for the line, considering the last round of tax increases.

AoD

If they plan and build a subway to connect to MCC, the area would intensify, especially if it ran along Dundas which right now is just full of strip malls.

A subway extension from Kipling to MCC would be 13 km long. That would be one of the longest single subway expansions in TTC history. A ride from Kipling to Union is already 40 minutes, including the annoying transfer you have to make at St. George. I think another 20 minutes from MCC to Kipling would be generous (that's a 39 km/h average). That means that a ride from MCC to downtown would take an hour and involve a transfer.

If the Milton line were upgraded to electric regional rail with a spur to MCC, it would cost much less and probably would get you downtown using a one seat ride in 35 minutes. Not to mention, the regional rail would release capacity from the B-D line, rather than add to it, and would benefit a lot more people who live west of MCC.

Yonge between Finch and Richmond Hill is intensifying now without a subway. MCC is intensifying now without a subway. Dundas isn't changing much at all.

I'm sure it's elsewhere on this thread but there is planned intensification for a population of more than 50,000 people between Steeles and Hwy 7 alone already on the books. That's 50,000 new people, not including the realtively dense neighbourhoods already btewen Finch and 7 or the people who already drive from that area to park at Finch now.

there may be reasons to object to the extension but lack of ridership is not one of them.

I'm sure it's elsewhere on this thread but there is planned intensification for a population of more than 50,000 people between Steeles and Hwy 7 alone already on the books. That's 50,000 new people, not including the realtively dense neighbourhoods already btewen Finch and 7 or the people who already drive from that area to park at Finch now.

there may be reasons to object to the extension but lack of ridership is not one of them.
Will all or majority of those 50 000 people moving into the area be going to work downtown? There's all this talk about more people going to the 905 from 416 for work than vice versa.

There should only be an extension to MCC if it's primary purpose is for short range rapid transit within Mississauga along such an extension. Commuter rail to get downtown from there would be the way to go.

At the same time, if the primary purpose is short range rapid transit in Mississauga (along whatever alignment), subways are hardly the best mode for that, given the cost - and the cheaper alignments are probably unattractive for locational reasons to riders (go to and lead to nowhere)

AoD

Yea, to create such a subway in theory if such need existed to carry mass volumes of people in Mississauga along an extended route but since there isnt a need there should be no extension.

I definitely do not agree that there isn't a need. It's simply anti-Mississauga bias that something like the Yonge extension would be supported whereas a BD extension to MCC isn't.

mcc can have a subway extension. just pay for it and im ok. hazel has said numerous times she did not want to pay for a subway.

A Yonge extension is questionable too. If that rail corridor in Thornhill can also be used for northern Commuter Rail service I would say extend the Yonge Line to that corridor and leave it at that.

Back