8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
As was rumoured, the UofA is in the process of selling off excess property or land not for its core use. This includes other assets/land as well.

The undeveloped lot on 112st/84ave east of the hospital was just sold for ~$5 mil.

Newton Place is for sale.

More to come...

After reading how there's a billion dollar deferred maintenance deficit going on, makes sense to try to shed some weight.

I guess that's still a rumour. My cousin's brother, who lives there, indicated things would be sorted soon. But by sorted, I don't know if he meant they would be given an alternate solution. The last time when I spoke to him, he was feeling all good. The condos constructed there are pretty up to the mark and cannot be reinstated, he says. It's a roof to many people, and the authorities won't execute such plans. Anyway, let's see.

EDIT: oops, I see this was posted elsewhere, but I would surmise still applies here anyhow

Saw this on Reddit, unsure where this is actually taken from (some U of A document) but looks like Michener Park isn't the only notable structures they plan to demo.

Etk1u3MUcAABkwC

Last edited:
Unsure of the bones, but it presented well a couple of years ago when it hosted the UofA President's Christmas bash.

That said, it most certainly needs some love, has many tales I am sure and should be retained.

^I mentioned it in passing quite awhile back in the Aga Khan thread, but it looks like the UofA's done (or doing) some work on Soaring House, at least according to Thinkspace's website:
I hope they take the same approach with the Soaring House (another Modernist house from the 60s), which is within the COE boundary and is much more accessible.
It seems like they may have already started?

Back