39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Tuscani01

Member Bio
Reaction score
City backs Waterloo university campus bid

By: Joseph Chin

March 6, 2008 10:08 AM - University of Waterloo is coming to Mississauga — maybe.
Mayor Hazel McCallion and City of Mississauga officials met on Monday with university officials to discuss plans for such a venture.
“They are most anxious to establish a satellite campus in Mississauga, and they want to do it quickly,†McCallion told City Council yesterday.
“It’s not a case of they’re thinking of doing it — they want to do it. It’s quite exciting that they chose Mississauga.â€
McCallion said she knew of the university’s plan for some time, but kept it under wraps until now.
“They came to see me three months ago saying they were looking (to put) a satellite in the GTA, and they wanted to know whether Mississauga would be interested. Needless to say, my answer was positive,†she said.
McCallion said City staff will soon start looking for a suitable site, with City Centre the choice of City officials.
As for what programs would be offered in Mississauga, McCallion is lobbying for something in the engineering field. University of Waterloo is known internationally for, among other programs, its engineering department.
“They haven’t indicated yet, but I emphasized engineering because the University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM) doesn’t have engineering,†said McCallion.
UW officials weren’t available for comment as of press time.
Whether the City will offer the university some kind of financial incentive is up in the air, although McCallion noted the institution received $30 million from the City of Kitchener and corporations to locate its new pharmaceutical school in that city.
“There’s no way we can find $30 million in our budget,†McCallion said.
McCallion asked City Manager Janice Baker to explore the feasibility of creating a so-called “development corporation†to raise funds for ventures such as this. It would be a partnership between the City and the private sector.
“(It) can buy property, put it back on the market, and make a profit,†she said.
Mississauga is quickly becoming a city of choice for satellite campuses after 40 years with UTM as the lone institution of higher learning. Last year, Sheridan College announced plans to locate a campus on Britannia Farm lands at the corner of Hurontario St. and Bristol Rd.
Founded in 1957, University of Waterloo has since grown to an institution of more than 30,000 students, faculty and staff. The school is notable for being the first accredited university in North America to create a Faculty of Mathematics, for having more company spin-offs than any other Canadian university and for having the largest co-op program in the world.

Great news for MCC. Lets hope this happens!

Fantastic news, hope it happens! :)

First Cambridge, then Kitchener, then Stratford and now this. Won't be long until U of W has as many campuses as SUNY or "University of Pheonix".

It is indeed good news. I suspect that whether it goes in the City Centre or in some other location will depend on the size of what they have in mind. A really large facility (including at least some parking and maybe a residence) might not fit. I will eagerly look forward to more details.

Edit: If not in the City Centre, maybe the Britannia School property would make sense. They could make up a campus with Sheridan, and maybe share programs.

As both a Waterloo and Engineering student, I have to admit this sounds fairly exciting. On the otherhand, it won't be engineering in anyway, shape or form. Too many resources are currently being poured on campus for expanding engineering including 3.5 new buildings and millions in expansions/renvoations to exsiting buildings. On top of that, the CEAB (accreditation board) has strict rules on the "overseeing" programs. The only engineering program where it would be feasible to have it in an "urban centre" would likely be upper year Mechatronic and Management Engineering programs. Besides that, nothing else really would work considering most of the required facilites wouldn't work.

But this plan sounds exciting. If it does go to MCC, I see it likely being EnvrioSci or AHS. Regardless, I hope to hear more about this since there has never been word about this in any Waterloo newspaper or meeting.

As I said on SSC, I'm thinking either MCC or the whole new Lakeview redevelopment would be ideal. Britannia Farm should stay a farm in my opinion, but if the Peel District School Board insists on developing it, it should be for educational purposes (and indeed, only can be for educational purposes). What's Sheridan doing at Britannia anyway?

. Britannia Farm should stay a farm in my opinion, but if the Peel District School Board insists on developing it, it should be for educational purposes (and indeed, only can be for educational purposes). What's Sheridan doing at Britannia anyway?

Here's what is in the minutes of Sheridan's College Council of January 18, 2007:

Future Mississauga Campus:

There is an opportunity to respond to a request for proposals on the limited development of land owned by the Peel Board of Education, located in Mississauga at the intersection of Hurontario and Bristol. (The Britannia Schoolhouse and The Britannia Farm)

The Peel Board has put out a proposal for ideas to develop a small piece on the southwest corner of the property that would help to maintain revenue in order to continue the ecological and environmental programs that are currently offered there.

We understand that there are some limitations to the use of this land, i.e., it must be used for education and cultural initiatives. We also understand that the Ministry of Education has the authority to approve proposals.

Sheridan is submitting its own proposal but is also prepared to partner with commercial proponents who may not be able to provide the educational component.

As this process is competitive, we prefer not to publish the specifics of our proposal until the process is complete. However, programs and services would focus on new immigrants to Canada, foreign-trained professionals, partnerships with the Peel Board and a full postsecondary campus.

Our proposal will be consistent with the stated objectives of the Provincial Government to increase the secondary school graduation rate and improve pathways between secondary schools and colleges, increase access to college by under-represented groups and meet the needs of new immigrants and foreign-trained professionals (also a goal of the Federal government.)

This proposal is dependent upon funding. J. Birch has convened an advisory group of Mississauga business leaders to discuss fund-raising activities in support of this proposal.

So the site will stay farm - there will just be a small corner of it built upon by Sheridan if this goes through.

If Sheridan became a university, we'd have Sheridan University-Mississauga (SUM). If Waterloo comes to Mississauga, we'd have University of Waterloo-Mississauga (UWM). And of course UTM as always. :)

Sheridan's stuck in Oakville and Brampton, and has been expanding both. Sorry you Mississauga dreamers.

Sheridan's stuck in Oakville and Brampton, and has been expanding both. Sorry you Mississauga dreamers.
Wrong

Sheridan has already expressed interest in a campus on the land and submitted a proposal.

Plans for Mississauga campus continue
By Paloma Migone
February 07, 2008

Sheridan’s leaders continue to move forward with plans to build a new campus in Mississauga. Since the project began two years ago, the college has been rallying businesses, supporters, and levels of government to be part of Sheridan’s future.

Sheridan has gained the support of Mayor Hazel McCallion and prominent citizens of Mississauga, but more needs to be done before approaching provincial government with a proposal.

“We are continuing vigorously lobbying, growing our level of support, getting our messages out there, getting our planning done for the structure itself, what’s the right location…” said Rob Turner, President of Sheridan College. “All these things take time. We’ve been working on this for two years. But … now it’s our key focus.”

In order to get financial support from the provincial government, Sheridan would need to at least fund one-third of the budget, which is customary for educational institutions. The fund would consist of private donations and the college’s bank. Sheridan hopes to improve its chances by providing more than the minimum.

“The sweeter the deal, the more likely government is going to look at it,” said Turner.

The president of the college has advised Premier Dalton McGuinty of a future approach and will speak to the Minster of Training, Colleges and Universities, John Milloy, on February 14 about the project.

“I had dinner with the premier in December and I said to him, ‘Premier, Hazel and I are coming to see you as soon as we’ve got the site identified and the cost hardened. We are going to be in front of you,’” said Turner. “I’ve already told our minister. And when I meet with him on February 14, I’ll push this even further. There is a lot of work to do to make this kind of thing happen.”

Sheridan is currently contemplating two locations for the new campus: Britannia Farms and Square One. The college is currently working with developers and will soon have the size of each location and the costs.

“Our hope is that we get this site identified in the course of the next few months,” said Turner.

There are other factors Sheridan needs to consider. Square One faces parking challenges. The area has little land, so the college would have to build a vertical structure. This would leave little or no space for parking. Britannia Farms has more land, but would receive less exposure, according to Jill Birch, vice-president of Sheridan College.

“It would be a wonderful opportunity if we were close to [Square One]. The Britannia site is a great site, but it’s not near a retail hub, whereas Square One has that going for it. It’s a factor. But money is always tight here, so you have to make the best financial decision for the school,” said Birch.

Sheridan hopes to approach Premier Dalton McGuinty with an official proposal by the end of the next fiscal year.

The Concept

The Mississauga Campus would provide programs for new Canadians, so they can make an easy transition into the workforce. Sheridan also plans to move the Business school to the new location, since almost 37 per cent of Business students are from Mississauga. The change would create more space at Davis and Trafalgar campuses, while centralizing the college’s different specialties: Davis would be dedicated to health, justice and manufacturing; Trafalgar would be the arts cluster; and Mississauga would be dedicated to business.

Don't forget Mississauga shares the Sheridan name! It's only by some of fluke of history that we're Mississauga and not Sheridan now.

Only reason the Mississauga name won was because the man Sheridan was revealed to be a sympathizer of the American Revolution, if I remember correctly.

The name Mississauga is also more distinct and honours the former (now displaced) inhabitants. Least we could do.

Back