News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I find it regrettable that a lot of interesting architectural ideas in the city's vernacular styles of the past have been seemingly forgotten in contemporary design. I'm thinking of features like polychromatic brickwork, terracotta and stone panels, clinker brick, prominent lanterns, and leaded and stained glass. These features can be reimagined to work with contemporary design and to enhance it.

Here's a contemporary house designed by Kevin Weiss that tastefully incorporated polychromatic brickwork into a modern design language:

11 Shudell Avenue

Photo by Scott Weir on Flickr

This project also has solid urbanist credentials by incorporating a laneway house at the back. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a photo of the laneway house. But it's an excellent contribution to the city's built form overall. Here's to hoping that we see more interesting features like polychromatic brickwork tastefully incorporated into contemporary buildings in the future.

Last edited:
The Henry Fliess house is temporarily off the market, according to Ecko Jay. Not sure why.

Here's a video of the house and property:

Sadly it's being ruined with the laziest stucco job i've seen in a long time... the interior has been ruined too.
C4622695_5.jpg

Sadly it's being ruined with the laziest stucco job i've seen in a long time... the interior has been ruined too.View attachment 408795

AT the risk of an unpopular opinion, I'm not overly taken w/the original design here..........but I nonetheless could agree wholeheartedly that this is not an improvement in anyway, shape or form.

I find it regrettable that a lot of interesting architectural ideas in the city's vernacular styles of the past have been seemingly forgotten in contemporary design. I'm thinking of features like polychromatic brickwork, terracotta and stone panels, clinker brick, prominent lanterns, and leaded and stained glass. These features can be reimagined to work with contemporary design and to enhance it.

Here's a contemporary house designed by Kevin Weiss that tastefully incorporated polychromatic brickwork into a modern design language:

11 Shudell Avenue

Photo by Scott Weir on Flickr

This project also has solid urbanist credentials by incorporating a laneway house at the back. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a photo of the laneway house. But it's an excellent contribution to the city's built form overall. Here's to hoping that we see more interesting features like polychromatic brickwork tastefully incorporated into contemporary buildings in the future.

@junctionist ; I greatly enjoy your contributions!

I also appreciate anyone who can use polychromatic in a sentence correctly!

@junctionist ; I greatly enjoy your contributions!

I also appreciate anyone who can use polychromatic in a sentence correctly!

Thanks :) I always enjoy your posts as well, especially the ones about parks and landscaping.

It's amazing how time has passed since I started this thread in 2008. Some of the image links from 2008 no longer work, and I've been slowly replacing them. Fortunately, @Archivist's excellent resource, TOBuilt, was saved and incorporated into the ACO's website. It makes things easier.

Unfortunately, some of these houses have been poorly renovated since then. Others have been meticulously maintained. It's also interesting how ubiquitous the rectilinear Neo Modern house has become since the 2000s among infill and new builds in older neighbourhoods. Almost every Neo Modern house was considered unique in the 2000s.

Last edited:
The house on Ellis Park Road mentioned in this thread a million years ago is up for sale again. Anyone got a spare five mil?

Not sure how I feel about the literally ensuite bath.

The house on Ellis Park Road mentioned in this thread a million years ago is up for sale again. Anyone got a spare five mil?

Not sure how I feel about the literally ensuite bath.

The rustic yet Neo Modern character is quite interesting. It evokes a cottage on the inside, which works beautifully in its context near a naturalized part of High Park. It's a fascinatingly designed house that transcends a mere desire to show off wealth.

Since I used the term, "hidden away," I'll protect their privacy.

Postmodernism isn't in fashion among architectural homes at the present time, but I found a fascinating reconstructed bungalow in a Postmodern style for sale in Etobicoke that's full of design character. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any information about it online, but the design is quite unique.

28 Rothsay Avenue

Photo from the listing on HouseSigma.ca

The house puts its Queen Anne influences on full display with a striking corner tower and a prominent attic. However, the fenestration and geometry depart from a pure historicist approach to be more playful and contemporary. The alternating stone/precast and brick bands (which continue all the way up to the chimney) give it added boldness and character. The prominent entrance, located just a few steps from the sidewalk, is tastefully metropolitan.

Impressively, the owner rejected a built-in garage, which would have likely compromised the traditional massing. There is a separate garage. The interior isn't as interesting as the exterior, but it eschews the current trend of minimalist white-and-brown interiors with decorative exposed brick and with a deconstructivist touch, exposed wood framing:

Photo from the listing on HouseSigma.ca

It's currently listed for $3,149,000, which may be a difficult sell for the area. However, its owner clearly cared about contributing an architecturally engaging house to the built form of the neighbourhood and city, making Rothsay Avenue a more interesting and memorable street in the process. Hopefully, it finds a loving new owner.

Last edited:

Back