Northwestival

A4E51F92-7711-483B-BA72-C908513BB074.jpeg
B3CC13B7-EE31-4E27-B6AA-BCF7EAC6D12D.jpeg
9BF71D9F-CE25-4C9E-9B29-EAA1D5363B55.jpeg
A8B27C2E-3221-4BED-81A7-28B57EB4DCF1.jpeg
9FB6C42D-1F26-404D-91A1-A837AB6B9BE0.jpeg

I've heard rumour of a different use, but I guess time will tell.
Just speculating - but seems almost like they are trying to work in an urban-format school or something.

It doesn't look like any school that Alberta has every built (almost exclusively suburban design with wild amounts of surface parking) but is similar to some of the designs floated in Toronto and Vancouver for schools. Might make sense from a stakeholder perspective too, with these developers/University District/University of Calgary obviously highly integrated into the provincial government.

Just speculating - but seems almost like they are trying to work in an urban-format school or something.

It doesn't look like any school that Alberta has every built (almost exclusively suburban design with wild amounts of surface parking) but is similar to some of the designs floated in Toronto and Vancouver for schools. Might make sense from a stakeholder perspective too, with these developers/University District/University of Calgary obviously highly integrated into the provincial government.
It’d be awesome if Calgary could build something similar to the schools in Canoe Landing in Toronto.

Please please pleeease just don’t put a hideous chain link fence around that beautiful park space just to create a false perception of “safety” for the students. Don’t ruin it for the community.

Toronto is approving a new school in the podium of a condo tower, near Waterfront/Young St. and Redpath Sugar.

great discussion here about the University district. We were out today looking at whats left of the Capella apartments and didnt really find anything we liked.
Does anyone know when news will be released about the plot at the very northwest facing the Market Mall? The Capella agent told us that it would likely only be 3 stories high meaning townhouses are the most likely rather than condos, would love to hear any gossip if people have some :)
UD Block Map.jpg

In response to the previous post, there's a new DP for the parcel in the NW corner. https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/?find=DP2022-03155

Looks like 2 multi residential buildings and 7 townhouse buildings.

Really glad to see these parcels start filling in. Once the first phase of U/D is complete I think this whole neighborhood will really start to take off. At the moment all the empty parcels really hurt the vibrancy but we're getting close to having a complete neighborhood and hopefully they'll start turning their attention to the next phases of the development. I'll be curious to see if the prioritize the eastern portion or southern portion of U/D for the next phase?

In response to the previous post, there's a new DP for the parcel in the NW corner. https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/?find=DP2022-03155

Really glad to see these parcels start filling in. Once the first phase of U/D is complete I think this whole neighborhood will really start to take off. At the moment all the empty parcels really hurt the vibrancy but we're getting close to having a complete neighborhood and hopefully they'll start turning their attention to the next phases of the development. I'll be curious to see if the prioritize the eastern portion or southern portion of U/D for the next phase?
You'd think you'd have to go eastern, right? That's the spot that connects the university with the district, would make it feel a lot more complete. The southern is a little more detached because of the hospital

The DP drawings for this one are now posted. Not much for renderings (just the cover page) but there is a site plan and elevations as well. Rohit Communities is the developer:
1654550780642.png

1654550813831.png

1654550851792.png

1654550876362.png

I'm always depressed at how much space and design details are dedicated toward the automobile, even in these "urban" developments. An entire underground parking lot, and still so much of the surface area of this development is dedicated to driveways and parking spots. So much damned asphalt!

People love visiting and living in car free neighbourhoods such as university campuses and European historic districts. I dream of the day that one tiny, tiny fragment of this city will get redeveloped without making any space for cars.

I'm always depressed at how much space and design details are dedicated toward the automobile, even in these "urban" developments. An entire underground parking lot, and still so much of the surface area of this development is dedicated to driveways and parking spots. So much damned asphalt!

People love visiting and living in car free neighbourhoods such as university campuses and European historic districts. I dream of the day that one tiny, tiny fragment of this city will get redeveloped without making any space for cars.
Calgary is a car oriented city. As much as I hate to say it these developers have to make sure that they don't remove this type of buyer demographic.
Also these developers want to make it welcoming for people to visit by having visible available parking - mehh.

I still think that University district has made the best effort for reducing the amount of surface parking by having plenty of underground parking with retail on the first floor and residences on the upper floors (on the main strip)

Back