5.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 28K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 2.7K     0 

CBBarnett

Member Bio
Reaction score
I walked by this development today as well. The Shops on Avenue 34, next door, looks like they're setting up another patio (in between it and this development). There was also a liquor license application sign on the property, so I guess there will be a new bar or restaurant going in behind the flower shop. There's going to be over a dozen retail and food establishments in the span of just three houses. Crazy.
Marda Loop is getting weird about stuff - I like it.

If the main street work is successful on the public space upgrades and tames the ridiculous speeding SUV culture of the area, all these weird little developments will start to mature into something really interesting, walkable and urban.

CalgaryTiger

Member Bio
Reaction score
They forgot to add 'within spitting distance' of Alpha House
Where would you put the 'front door' for this property? Macloed? Don't think that's a very friendly entrance. 15 Ave? No, sadly to avoid Alpha House being on your door step. Plus its a dead end service road. 14 Ave? This is really the only place you would put a 'front door' or entrance. My point being, I wouldn't worry about it being near Alpha House. 15 Ave is a glorified alley that will likely just be used to service the property. In saying all this its sad we want to put things like Alpha House in an alley.

CBBarnett

Member Bio
Reaction score
Where would you put the 'front door' for this property? Macloed? Don't think that's a very friendly entrance. 15 Ave? No, sadly to avoid Alpha House being on your door step. Plus its a dead end service road. 14 Ave? This is really the only place you would put a 'front door' or entrance. My point being, I wouldn't worry about it being near Alpha House. 15 Ave is a glorified alley that will likely just be used to service the property. In saying all this its sad we want to put things like Alpha House in an alley.
It won’t be an alley for much longer as the removal of the pedestrian bridge will also open to an intersection at MacLeod.

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
15th isn't an alley, and the entry could go on 14st if it were a big enough development. Vetro has it's front door facing Alpha House, I'm sure people would survive here if this one did too.

JonnyCanuck

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
15th isn't an alley, and the entry could go on 14st if it were a big enough development. Vetro has it's front door facing Alpha House, I'm sure people would survive here if this one did too.
I am sure if they had a 'do over', the builder would not have positioned the entrance to Vetro or the Shoppers Drug Mart directly across from Alpha House. It was right around the time these towers were being built that Alpha House expanded including the detox facility. It is a rough block, particularly in the evening and there is constant police/EMS intervention. Shoppers Drug Mart has a full time security guard. I don't how enlightened buyers in Sasso and Vetro were about their 'neighbour', but I am thinking there is a lot of buyers' remorse now. Resale in those buildings must be a real challenge.
As for the development site up for sale, next to Vetro, I doubt whether another residential building will go there as long as Alpha House is in it's current location.

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
I wouldn't buy in Vetro, that's for sure! But with the piss ramp gone and a better connection through to MacLeod it should help a bit. Alpha House isn't going anywhere any time soon though, in fact they were there long before anything else was.

CalgaryTiger

Member Bio
Reaction score
the removal of the pedestrian bridge will also open to an intersection at MacLeod.
This surprises me in a good way and it makes sense. Better connections help move people and vehicles through and here I do think a lot of people will be moving through this street and use it to turn around to go north or south on Macleod.
It is a rough block, particularly in the evening and there is constant police/EMS intervention. Shoppers Drug Mart has a full time security guard.
This is unfortunate but true. Making this connect the Macleods won't change this.
Alpha House isn't going anywhere any time soon though, in fact they were there long before anything else was.
Whatever this development is, I think this will be a factor in positioning the entrance to this development. Here's hoping for a podium like BLVD with a couple towers.

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
I wouldn't buy in Vetro, that's for sure! But with the piss ramp gone and a better connection through to MacLeod it should help a bit. Alpha House isn't going anywhere any time soon though, in fact they were there long before anything else was.
Whatever people's opinions are of the homeless situation, Apha House is an issue for those living across the street from it or even near it. Unless the market is blazing I don't see anyone wanting to develop in that area any time soon.

O-tac

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
A new office development right near Chinook station. Although, I can't imagine given the context and current office market, this will be a large, TOD style development:

I noticed a sign advertising Phase 2 of Shepard Station at 130th. After the horrendous blue spandrel job they did on the first building I'm prepared for it to be bad. The tenant in building one (PBS systems) made things worse by applying reflective glass film coating to half the building but not the other. It highlights the blue spandrel even more and looks ridiculous as they didn't even apply it evenly. The top floor extends around the corner with none on the other 3 floors. Looks incredibly stupid. Then again PBS strikes me as a control freak type of company with programmers who think they know better than designers and architects what looks good. That or they simply don't care about aesthetics at all.