5.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 29K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 2.8K     0 

YourBoy007

Member Bio
Reaction score
I prefer underground lines in the core, however above ground lines can be implemented well too. It just takes a little vision and a couple extra oil dollars.

adgrvzvy9s491.jpg

ThujaPlicata

Member Bio
Reaction score
I prefer underground lines in the core, however above ground lines can be implemented well too. It just takes a little vision and a couple extra oil dollars.

View attachment 406523
Streetcars in the core would make a lot more sense than having above ground light rail. Calgary does not have streetcars anymore :(
I think Edmonton is following the right steps to introduce low level street cars to the downtown core while still maintaining the faster light rail underground.

Also streetcars are usually found in cities that use public transportation as one of the main source of transportation - Calgary's transit ridership is very low.

Last edited:

adamyyc

Member Bio
Reaction score

View attachment 406523
Streetcars in the core would make a lot more sense than having above ground light rail. Calgary does not have streetcars anymore :(
I think Edmonton is following the right steps to introduce low level street cars to the downtown core while still maintaining the faster light rail underground.

Also streetcars are usually found in cities that use public transportation as one of the main source of transportation - Calgary's transit ridership is very low.
Imagine how much better 7th Ave would be if it looked like the picture above.

YYCguy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Imagine how much better 7th avenue would look with underground lines! And that would cut out the danger aspect of having the sidewalk/bike lane/transit corridor all in one. Last summer, walking around the core of Amsterdam, pedestrians really had to keep watch that they didn’t accidentally step in to the bike lanes or the streetcar corridor!

Duck Lightning

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this.
The Stampede has just announced that the naming rights to the Stampede Grandstand have been sold to GMC Canada. The Grandstand will now be called the GMC Stadium.

CalgaryTiger

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this.
The Stampede has just announced that the naming rights to the Stampede Grandstand have been sold to GMC Canada. The Grandstand will now be called the GMC Stadium.
Sta-what?! How do you not call it GMC Grandstand? Does the infield have its own naming rights?

CalgaryTiger

Member Bio
Reaction score
Saw something on the DMAP for the Holy Cross Facility: https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/?find=DP2022-04054

Couldn't download the documents but the applications says: 'Changes to Site Plan: Retail and Consumer Service (parking and landscape; Exterior Renovations: Retail and Consumer Service (new garage and entry doors, refurbish building facade)'

The thing that drew my eye was the Exterior Renovations. This facility or facilities always did feel a bit disconnected from the surrounding community would love to see it blend in a bit more.

YYCguy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Saw something on the DMAP for the Holy Cross Facility: https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/?find=DP2022-04054

Couldn't download the documents but the applications says: 'Changes to Site Plan: Retail and Consumer Service (parking and landscape; Exterior Renovations: Retail and Consumer Service (new garage and entry doors, refurbish building facade)'

The thing that drew my eye was the Exterior Renovations. This facility or facilities always did feel a bit disconnected from the surrounding community would love to see it blend in a bit more.
I was born in that hospital.

Would love to see it become redeveloped to include residential as well as current/proposed uses.

I would buy a condo there if that was to become a reality. The location is primo!

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
I was born in that hospital.

Would love to see it become redeveloped to include residential as well as current/proposed uses.

I would buy a condo there if that was to become a reality. The location is primo!
I would love to see them close that road frontage along the Elbow River and give it the RiverWalk treatment (steps down to the river), with a restaurant, ice cream shop (or something?) and a cafe at ground level under new residential buildings along this mini “RiverWalk” esque area.

DougB

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Perth

The Holy Cross site should be completely demolished, connected to the street and redeveloped with public access along the river. The challenges are historical protection of the old, brown-bricked wing, asbestos insulation and cost to raise above floodplain. I also suspect a sweep of the site with ground penetrating radar would reveal some unpleasant surprises.

My 4 siblings were born at that hospital and my mom worked there for more than 20 years.