News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

New DP for Chinatown

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 2.27.08 PM.png

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/conn...ths-of-work-activity-6879824501102710784-edyP

Not sure if this is a real project or just a proposal, but I just saw this on LinkedIn. Project between between Western Surety, LOLA Architecture and the U of C's SAPL. Love the vertical green feature!
Looks good, but unfortunately I suspect it's a little too nice to be a serious proposal, especially for affordable housing. Hopefully I'm wrong though, because that site would be great for what they're proposing.

Also, it looks like there's a lot of wood, I wonder if this design is for cross laminated timber construction? That would be pretty neat.

Last edited:
Really cool looking proposal although the proposal doesn't appear to have street facing retail and that is desperately needed on that lot to make sure the commercial spaces in new projects like The Theodore aren't cut off from the rest of 10th.

Agreed. There should be at least 4 CRUs + residential lobby.

What is this eye-sore?
That 'eye-sore' is Baker House Annex. Social and affordable housing operated by CIWA - a culturally diverse settlement agency that recognizes, responds to, and focuses on the unique concerns and needs of immigrant and refugee women, girls and, their families.

The 5 block precinct with Baker House, CBE, Harry Hays, YWCA, and Bow Valley College is the single worst example of midcentury urban design in Calgary. At least the CBE building is architecturally decent, but along with this and this, Baker House is one of the ugliest multifamily buildings in the City.

Back