News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Design team for Arts Common has been announced:

From the article:
The ACT prime design team is an impressive collection of local and global leaders in architecture and design who will bring a rich variety of perspectives and specialties to this major civic upgrade.

Heading up the team is Toronto-based KPMB, a pedigreed architectural firm with proven expertise in major arts and theatre projects, including Toronto’s Massey Hall and the Allied Music Centre, the Royal Conservatory TELUS Centre for Performance and Learning, Minneapolis’s Orchestra Hall, Toronto’s TIFF Bell Lightbox, Boston University’s Center for Computer and Data Sciences, and the Banff Centre for Arts & Creativity.

Working closely with KPMB at every step of the design phase will be Tawaw Architecture Collective Inc., headed by Calgarian (and Canada’s first female First Nations architect) Wanda Dalla Costa. Tawaw will ensure the Indigenous perspective is thoughtfully and meaningfully woven into all aspects of the design.

Rounding out the project team are Calgary-based Hindle Architects, a trusted local firm with a history of successful projects around Calgary, and SLA, an internationally renowned nature-based design studio out of Denmark.
I really like the public realm projects on the SLA website which looks like what they specialize in so I'm excited to see what they bring to the design

I have high hopes for this one; hopefully the final design is high quality and worthy of its location and visibility. Hindle is a weird local choice though, they don't have the bench strength or experience for something like this, so I'm assuming KPMB will be doing a lot of the contract document work as well.

Who is the missing partner in KPMB
Founding partners, B. Kuwabara, M. McKenna and S. Blumberg. No mention of any partners with a last name starting with a P.
Just curious thats all. ????

Who is the missing partner in KPMB
Founding partners, B. Kuwabara, M. McKenna and S. Blumberg. No mention of any partners with a last name starting with a P.
Just curious thats all. ????
Thomas Payne, he left KPMB to start his own firm in 2013.

I can’t remember if we’ve seen a picture of this mural completed or not so I’m posting this.

DCBA2F67-1AB1-4CF7-A535-C001B4D53CCD.jpeg

Rezoning application on MacLeod Trail South and 14th Ave.

I never would have guessed that MacLeod Trail would be able to garner so much development activity. The only reason I can think of is it's proximity to the train. In my estimation the Beltline's greatest weakness is being so far from the train

I really liked the original Arts Commons renderings from Bing Thom(?), so this new design will have big shoes to fill! Not too familiar with any of these firms (browsed their websites, they all seem OK but nothing really caught my eye) so hopefully they can come up with something unique. Was hoping for a bigger international firm with some flair.
I loved Bing Thom’s vision for AC as well - the models were spectacular.

I know we've posted on this previously (and I apologize for the self promotion), but Passive House multi-family is finally coming to Calgary! Altadore specifically. It's shocking how difficult this approval was considering we're in a "climate emergency" as a city, but here we are... In any case, hope nobody minds us sharing. We'd love your feedback on the final building. June construction is our target.

View attachment 380606
Nice job! Having worked on some buildings that were approaching net zero through passive house design, you did a good job with it, as the buildings really do become very simple boxes. Only thing I would do is articulation of each individual unit through colour and materiality. Your material and colour pallet is nice though I would just reuse the materials for the individual units with the best materials (brick) being on the corners of the building. Preference would be not having garages in the front setback area, but that is likely a response to site constraints. Nice job you are doing solid projects!

I know we've posted on this previously (and I apologize for the self promotion), but Passive House multi-family is finally coming to Calgary! Altadore specifically. It's shocking how difficult this approval was considering we're in a "climate emergency" as a city, but here we are... In any case, hope nobody minds us sharing. We'd love your feedback on the final building. June construction is our target.

View attachment 380606
Where in Altadore is this located?

Back