News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

the removal of the pedestrian bridge will also open to an intersection at MacLeod.
This surprises me in a good way and it makes sense. Better connections help move people and vehicles through and here I do think a lot of people will be moving through this street and use it to turn around to go north or south on Macleod.
It is a rough block, particularly in the evening and there is constant police/EMS intervention. Shoppers Drug Mart has a full time security guard.
This is unfortunate but true. Making this connect the Macleods won't change this.
Alpha House isn't going anywhere any time soon though, in fact they were there long before anything else was.
Whatever this development is, I think this will be a factor in positioning the entrance to this development. Here's hoping for a podium like BLVD with a couple towers.

I wouldn't buy in Vetro, that's for sure! But with the piss ramp gone and a better connection through to MacLeod it should help a bit. Alpha House isn't going anywhere any time soon though, in fact they were there long before anything else was.
Whatever people's opinions are of the homeless situation, Apha House is an issue for those living across the street from it or even near it. Unless the market is blazing I don't see anyone wanting to develop in that area any time soon.

A new office development right near Chinook station. Although, I can't imagine given the context and current office market, this will be a large, TOD style development:

I noticed a sign advertising Phase 2 of Shepard Station at 130th. After the horrendous blue spandrel job they did on the first building I'm prepared for it to be bad. The tenant in building one (PBS systems) made things worse by applying reflective glass film coating to half the building but not the other. It highlights the blue spandrel even more and looks ridiculous as they didn't even apply it evenly. The top floor extends around the corner with none on the other 3 floors. Looks incredibly stupid. Then again PBS strikes me as a control freak type of company with programmers who think they know better than designers and architects what looks good. That or they simply don't care about aesthetics at all.

I noticed a sign advertising Phase 2 of Shepard Station at 130th. After the horrendous blue spandrel job they did on the first building I'm prepared for it to be bad. The tenant in building one (PBS systems) made things worse by applying reflective glass film coating to half the building but not the other. It highlights the blue spandrel even more and looks ridiculous as they didn't even apply it evenly. The top floor extends around the corner with none on the other 3 floors. Looks incredibly stupid. Then again PBS strikes me as a control freak type of company with programmers who think they know better than designers and architects what looks good. That or they simply don't care about aesthetics at all.
'Of all the gin joints (boring buildings) in all the towns (130th Ave/Barlow Trail area) in all the world (Calgary region), she walks into (you single out) mine (Phase One of Shepard Station).'

This is where the green line will terminate-ish, so I see why we would like some quality development. But this area of the city is where city planning and design has gone to die. I grew up in Mackenzie Towne, I thought High Street was cool. Its kind of where I get my idea of the perfect community being a small town within a city. But outside of certain pockets of MacKenzie Towne (High Street, Inverness Square) that section of the city has to be the saddest place for a design/city planning/architecture/etc. enthusiast to visit.

There are elements that are nice such as Douglasdale, Auburn Bay, parts of Seton and Mahogany and even Riverstone. Unfortunately 130th ave terminates in a landfill with New Brighton and Copperfield both being a soul sucking extension of it.

I forget if there is already a proposal in the vicinity, but a hotel might be an ideal use for the 14-15 ave lot.

Noticed an entire block of houses with boarded up windows ready for demo on 37th St. and 26th Ave SW. Anyone know if there's a proposal for this site?

Anyone know what project is going on 14th ave and Centre Street SE?

PXL_20220518_181602258.jpg

Last edited:
Noticed an entire block of houses with boarded up windows ready for demo on 37th St. and 26th Ave SW. Anyone know if there's a proposal for this site?

Back