39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Large proposal coming to Burrard Bridge area by the Squamish Nation. 3,000 units.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...tion-plans-massive-apartment-development-for/

Excerpt from article.
The Squamish Nation plans a massive housing project encompassing as many as 3,000 apartments on prime land next to a Vancouver city park, marking the first large-scale urban development by an Indigenous group in Canada.
The ambitious project next to the Burrard Bridge and Vanier Park on the False Creek waterfront in central Vancouver would occupy the last of their reserve land in the city
. It is likely to spark controversy in the tony Kitsilano neighbourhood nearby, where in recent weeks residents have been protesting the development of a couple of low-rise apartment buildings.
Development of so many apartments, which the Squamish are considering restricting to all rental, could help Vancouver alleviate its housing crisis, but the city does not have jurisdiction over the Squamish land.
“This project becomes a way to create that individual and collective wealth,” Khelselim said.

This could be massive. It's a good spot for something that large, but there will be major opposition. Nice that these might be rental, we could use more of that.

Is it by law that only 2 people allowed to live in those apartments? There is no 2+den and 3 bedrooms units?
There's no law that I know of, but the average number of people for an apartment in Canadian cities is around 1.8 people/unit (it might be higher in Vancouver). Per building the average usually is pretty close to the number of suites, so if all 3,000 units of the new development were 3 bedroom units, the number would be close to 10,000 people, but I assume there will be many one and two bedroom units. My guess is about 6 to 7 thousand new residents.

There's no law that I know of, but the average number of people for an apartment in Canadian cities is around 1.8 people/unit (it might be higher in Vancouver). Per building the average usually is pretty close to the number of suites, so if all 3,000 units of the new development were 3 bedroom units, the number would be close to 10,000 people, but I assume there will be many one and two bedroom units. My guess is about 6 to 7 thousand new residents.
It wouldn't surprise me if it was higher in Vancouver given the cost of housing.

Calgary's Beltline neighborhood is averaging 1.5 people per unit, but it's a bit low because there are a number of new buildings that have dwellings in the count, but are still adding occupants. Also a slower economy and higher vacancy rate. The Beltline was around 1.8 per unit a couple of years back. I would guess Vancouver is probably closer to 2.0 people per unit.

Is there as miscellaneous construction thread? It will be good to see this lot redevelop (989 Main st)

https://www.shapeyourcity.ca/989-main-st

1673470351994.png

Is there a thread for the Fifteen Fifteen development by Bosa Properties located downtown? There's already a crane up.

Also, what's up with SkyriseVancouver? It seems like only a few people are participating here unlike the Alberta threads.

Back