39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Looking for a new car — and a bunny while you're at it?

Up to 200 rabbits are looking for homes after they were found hopping around City Ford this summer.

It's not exactly a new problem for the northwest Edmonton car dealership. It's been overrun with the furry friends ever since a nearby farmer moved away 20 years ago, leaving his rabbits behind.

Then they multiplied. Like rabbits.

Full Story (CBC Edmonton)

Slow news day, so you get this.

They bound down back alleys, burrow in parks and hop through backyards, devouring vegetable gardens whole.

White-tailed jackrabbits are thriving in Edmonton's urban landscape, and are breeding like, well, rabbits.

Their numbers within city limits have leaped from an estimated 400 animals in the early 1990s to more than 2,500, according to population surveys conducted by Edmonton biologist John Wood.

"The city is what they call a predator shadow. The predators don't do as well here. There are more places for the bunnies to hide. They have more escape routes, and their strategy for survival is high speed."

Full Story (CBC Edmonton)

It's the peak holiday shopping season and outside West Edmonton Mall, patrons are squawking and beaking off at each other as they fight for a spot to park.

But this group of rowdies is not allowed inside the mall — and it's not a conspiracy against them.

In fact, they are the conspiracy. A conspiracy of ravens, that is.

Scott Charlton noticed them in mid-November when leaving the mall after a day of work. He heard caws and noticed between 50 and 100 ravens flying around above him.

With another group perched on the letters of a lit Winners sign, Charlton said it looked more like a scene from the Planet Earth nature series or from Alfred Hitchcock's film The Birds instead of a mall parking lot.

ravens-west-edmonton-mall.jpeg

Ravens have been spotted gathering after nightfall at West Edmonton Mall for the past couple of weeks. (Scott Charlton)

People in some cultures would consider such a gathering of ravens (called a conspiracy, an unkindness or a constable) to be a bad omen.

Charlton was simply awestruck.

"It was such a huge group that I was just like 'I have to take a video.' I've never seen that many ravens in one place," Charlton said. "It just seemed really out of place that they're hanging outside at West Edmonton Mall of all places."

Since taking that first video three weeks ago, he's been keeping an eye on the gatherings and said the most recent rally happened within the last few days. "When they get together, they squabble over who gets to sit where and for how long," he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ravens-west-edmonton-mall-1.4440651

This is an interesting article/book review on the evolution of urban species and follows up on the phenomenon of urban jackrabbits in Edmonton. Anyway, give me your thoughts.

This is an interesting article/book review on the evolution of urban species and follows up on the phenomenon of urban jackrabbits in Edmonton. Anyway, give me your thoughts.

Not a short or easy read, but very interesting! Would be interested to see a study on the local wildlife to see if there's been noticible genetic changes for adaptation to our urban environment.

Huh, that explains why I’ve never seen a raccoon in my life 🤣

Back