androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
A few hours in DC on an unusually warm Columbus Day weekend

U.S. Capitol Building getting some TLC

capitolv.jpg

Young artists practicing their skills at the National Gallery of Art

artists.jpg

Police here have really adopted the Segway in a big way. They have 2 wheel and 3 wheel versions

3whlseg.jpg

Reflecting at the Lincoln Memorial

reflection.jpg

The Spy business is big business here

spy.jpg

Not much commerce in the land of monuments but I managed to get a beer and fries ($7) at a snack bar near the Washington Monument

friesnbeer.jpg

No one here today but I'm sure people have been sitting on these tree trunks for over 200 years admiring the White House

tree.jpg

This young stylish couple seemed overjoyed to be here (like everyone else I saw) amongst all this history

capitolcouple.jpg

'Segs in the City'. Brilliant name

segs.jpg

This is the closest you can get to the south side of the White House

gawkers.jpg

Big city drama, three blocks west of the White House.

jagcruiser.jpg

Lincoln Memorial

skim.jpg

I'm guessing that's President Obama in the orange shirt up there on the Truman balcony. The two guards on the roof monitor the crowd from 2 telescopes on tripods

obama.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Andrew, great set.

If you didn't visit the Smithsonian(s), make sure you do next time. :)

The use of Segways as a tool for tourists is becoming more and more popular it seems. We saw many in Boston back in July. They're kind of a perfect compromise between the "slowness" of walking and the detached feeling you get from taking a cab or driving everywhere. Though the people riding them look very dorky (and even more so in Boston where they had to wear florescent vests).

American cities don't interest me all that much for some reason (compared to say, European cities) but Washington sure knows how to do its monuments. I do like the fact that they're overtly proud of the important people in their history. It's something we don't see in Canada on a small scale, nevermind the grandiose gestures we see in Washington.

Back