8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Chinook Arch

Member Bio
Reaction score
I hope nobody minds that I created this thread. I figured no harm in having a general off topic place for discussion. I also kinda created it for selfish reasons, as I am now the proud father of a baby boy. :cool: and wanted to pass along the happy news.

Congratulations, that is great news. Based on my experience, the first few weeks/months are rough, until he sleeps through the night (we got lucky, happened at week 6). Then, he is cute and cuddly, but not really active, until about 1.5. Then, the real fun begins. Now, with a 3.5 year old, it is super fun, but also comes with full on tantrum mode (how does a little kid scream for so long sometimes....). Enjoy the ride.

I hope nobody minds that I created this thread. I figured no harm in having a general off topic place for discussion. I also kinda created it for selfish reasons, as I am now the proud father of a baby boy. :cool: and wanted to pass along the happy news.
Welcome to the new baby club! Mine is now 15 months with our second due in June. It is the best time of your life but prepare for the following things (aka here is my totally unsolicited advice that I am now giving to you!):
- it will be difficult to focus on other things (like work) for a while. If you're not tired, you might just be thinking about your wife and son. I spent a lot of time missing them.
- Sleep improvement is not linear. They might string together a few good nights or weeks, but don't be disappointed in regression. It is normal. But it does feel like they are doing it intentionally sometimes lol
- Be firm with your partner about her (or him but I apologize as I will be using her pronouns from now on) taking "breaks" too. It is easy to get caught up in parental anxiety (especially in today's climate) and for elements of post partum depression to arise. My own wife refused to even leave our son alone with me for a few months... but encourage her to take some time for herself in all of this too. Post partum depression also doesn't only affect one partner, it can affect either, but there are more chemical implications in the birth mother's case.
- Baby development is not linear. I have found it INCREDIBLY hard not to compare our son to other babies, good or bad. They all develop at different paces. Just be excited
- 811 nurses are super helpful, call them instead of googling ANYTHING. lol. Google is only useful as a tool after that consultation, or else you will send yourself into needless panic.
- cherish it, you will be amazed how quickly things change. Every day. I miss napping with my boy but he is already in the activity stage and that is gratifying in so many ways too, but I miss him falling asleep on my chest after a good feeding from mom and just looking down at how precious he is. Now he throws things at me if I look away for two seconds...

Congrats Chinook! Also, great thread creation. Our boy was born in NYC, while we were working at Skidmore, and just last week we were reminiscing on those times while I we toted him around in the baby bjorn, (highly recommended must have). Time also flies, as you have probably already heard from others. Enjoy and smile, and nap when he naps, which just automatically happened with me. Our boy is now 17, 6'-4", and I keep wondering WTH? The plus side is I get his hand-me down clothing and shoes now, so my cool factor might have actually gone from 0 to 7. Congrats again.

Congrats. Mine is already nearly 5, and finally we're at mini stick hockey phase. The only part of parenting I've been looking forward since the pregnancy test.

My best advice is don't get too worked up over things that are frustrating. Everything is constantly changing and something that frustrated you yesterday will just go away and you won't even remember what it was because there will be something new that does the same. Until my friends say in conversation, "is your son still doing X that drives you nuts?" I think...oh wow, no actually I completely forgot about X, thank god we don't have to deal with that anymore, we're now onto Y and Z.

Sleep sacks are the ultimate saviour. We used them until probably 3.5 and I swear they're the reason he was a good sleeper.

Last edited:
This is probably as good a place as any to post this. @1875 has passed 10,000 likes 👍 All the posts, many of which are photo updates are much appreciated.

giphy.gif

Congrats Chinook Arch!
Thanks 1875!

I’ll echo what Cowtown said. The constant photo updates here are appreciated. All the contributions are appreciated.

Back