News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The streetview for this particular intersection is from October 2018. Since then, a no U-turn sign was installed there and is clearly visible in this tweet. As for why it's a round light, right turns are permitted into the driveway.
Ah, that should have helped.

Use two arrows like this:

All I can say is that this is not a dastardly plan to stop Ion from opening before the confed line ?️‍♂️
Shouldn't delay anything, unless someone things that a redesign of the road is necessary.

That's what the spare ratio is for. There's 14 cars? So presumably only 11 are needed for service. Looking at the schedule ... round trip is 100 minutes (with 7 minutes turnaround at Fairway and 5 minutes at Conestoga Mall). So only need 10 cars to do peak (6 cars an hour) service. Gosh, that's a 29% spare ratio ... should be fine!

With a couple more cars (to 16) and a 17% spare ratio, they could just about do every 7.5 minutes service. (8 cars an hour).

Last edited:

View attachment 190366

There used to be dual green arrows (straight and right) at intersections that also had protected left turns in Ontario, but those were removed because a green right arrow indicates that right-turning traffic has the compete right of way, conflicting with pedestrians that might also be in the intersection and have right of way. Now you'll only see them where traffic completely has the right of way, such as at protected right turns (like York Street/Lake Shore), or at the end of a one-way ramp.

But the left signal should get a straight arrow, with the right one getting a regular green ball. The MTO did this on Highway 144 near Sudbury.
Hwy144.jpg

There used to be dual green arrows (straight and right) at intersections that also had protected left turns in Ontario, but those were removed because a green right arrow indicates that right-turning traffic has the compete right of way, conflicting with pedestrians that might also be in the intersection and have right of way.
That's a very good point.

I wonder if a red left-turn arrow that's always on would help ... entirely redundant, but drivers seem to see traffic lights more than signage. Or something kind of like those flashing no left turns you see in Toronto in rush hour.

View attachment 190366

Shouldn't delay anything, unless someone things that a redesign of the road is necessary.

That's what the spare ratio is for. There's 14 cars? So presumably only 11 are needed for service. Looking at the schedule ... round trip is 100 minutes (with 7 minutes turnaround at Fairway and 5 minutes at Conestoga Mall). So only need 10 cars to do peak (6 cars an hour) service. Gosh, that's a 29% spare ratio ... should be fine!

With a couple more cars (to 16) and a 17% spare ratio, they could just about do every 7.5 minutes service. (8 cars an hour).

The MTO (Ontario) is way behind other jurisdictions. For example, from this link:

What the arrows mean
red signal light
Solid red arrow: Drivers intending to turn left must stop and wait. Do not enter an intersection to turn when a solid red arrow is being displayed​
solid yellow arrow
Solid yellow arrow: The left-turn signal is about to change to red and drivers should prepare to stop or prepare to complete a left turn if they are legally within the intersection and there is no conflicting traffic present.​
flashing yellow arrow
Flashing yellow arrow: Drivers are allowed to turn left after yielding to all oncoming traffic and to any pedestrians in the crosswalk. Oncoming traffic has a green light. Drivers must wait for a safe gap in oncoming traffic before turning.​
green signal light
Solid green arrow: Left turns have the right of way. Oncoming traffic has a red light.​

PDF at this link on the flashing yellow arrow.

The MTO (Ontario) is way behind other jurisdictions. For example, from this link:

What the arrows mean
red signal light
Solid red arrow: Drivers intending to turn left must stop and wait. Do not enter an intersection to turn when a solid red arrow is being displayed​
solid yellow arrow
Solid yellow arrow: The left-turn signal is about to change to red and drivers should prepare to stop or prepare to complete a left turn if they are legally within the intersection and there is no conflicting traffic present.​
flashing yellow arrow
Flashing yellow arrow: Drivers are allowed to turn left after yielding to all oncoming traffic and to any pedestrians in the crosswalk. Oncoming traffic has a green light. Drivers must wait for a safe gap in oncoming traffic before turning.​
green signal light
Solid green arrow: Left turns have the right of way. Oncoming traffic has a red light.​

PDF at this link on the flashing yellow arrow.

We saw Flashing Solid Red & Yellow Arrows our our trip in May in the US. Flashing Red means you must come to a complete stop and only turn when its safe to do so. Flashing solid Yellow means you can only turn when its safe to do so.

What stood out most, there were next to no traffic lights stand in the middle of the road. This goes back years ago when first travel to the US and Miami where the traffic light arm cover all lanes. There is an arrow for advance green or a red one saying no turning while the lights are green for the through lanes. Seen the similar in Quebec and other places as well.

Last edited:
I wonder if we should pull a Montreal and move turning lights to the end of a light cycle.
Some drivers here are too dumb/impatient to notice. They'll start making the turn and smash the LRV before you know it. They'll need to install a railway gate or bollard to stop them. Even then this device would likely land on half the cars since the feel like the stop line is well in the pedestrian crossing area.

Ontario needs tougher driving laws. Everyone is trying to blow pass amber signals, hit and run after collisions and purposely making illegal turns for convenience. If they hit a LRV or if that railway gate/bollard lands on their vehicle, they should be automatically have their car impounded, licence suspended and signed up for driving course refreshment. Failure to show up to the refreshment course should be warrant for criminal charges and vehicle confiscated.

Ontario needs tougher driving laws. Everyone is trying to blow pass amber signals, hit and run after collisions and purposely making illegal turns for convenience. If they hit a LRV or if that railway gate/bollard lands on their vehicle, they should be automatically have their car impounded, licence suspended and signed up for driving course refreshment. Failure to show up to the refreshment course should be warrant for criminal charges and vehicle confiscated.
Perhaps, but that sure ain't gonna happen with Dougie Dolittle as Premier. What you state is music to his ears to penalize and persecute LRT, not motorists. Fortunately for ION, they are federally as well as provincially regulated.
2.5 Federal Legislation, Permits and Authorizations Through ongoing dialogue with Transport Canada, the Region will ensure that the project adheres to all applicable Federal legislation and that all necessary Federal permits and authorizations are identified and obtained prior to construction and operation of the system.
https://rapidtransit.regionofwaterl...sources/Draft2009RapidTransitBusinessCase.pdf

Last edited:
If they hit a LRV or if that railway gate/bollard lands on their vehicle, they should be automatically have their car impounded, licence suspended and signed up for driving course refreshment. Failure to show up to the refreshment course should be warrant for criminal charges and vehicle confiscated.

Lol. If you listen to a regional radio scanner you'll hear an LRV reporting a vehicle trapped under a crossing gate about once every 10 minutes, it's like nobody has any clue what a stop line is or is smart enough not to enter an intersection they can't clear. Now that ION's commissioning phase is basically complete that's about all you ever hear.

^ This is an excellent strategic move:
To celebrate the start of Ion service, the entire public transit system — both bus and train — is free to ride from June 21 to Canada Day.
Probably the best way to load the system to assess reliability and function. For the inevitable start-up glitches, it's not like they can demand their fare back.

Lol. If you listen to a regional radio scanner you'll hear an LRV reporting a vehicle trapped under a crossing gate about once every 10 minutes, it's like nobody has any clue what a stop line is or is smart enough not to enter an intersection they can't clear. Now that ION's commissioning phase is basically complete that's about all you ever hear.

There is a major railway crossing at a road intersection that has lights and gates. One day while riding my motorcycle, the stop light turned red. I stop in the outside lane. A car beside me stops, but over the line. A train comes. The barrier hit the car's roof. They drove forward, through the red and broke the arm. I got off my bike, moved the arm to the side, waited for the train to pass and for me to get a green and drove away.
I called as soon as I could to the local police to inform them of the situation. They thought it hit me.

In short, idiots are everywhere and untill they die, they will be a problem.

There is a major railway crossing at a road intersection that has lights and gates. One day while riding my motorcycle, the stop light turned red. I stop in the outside lane. A car beside me stops, but over the line. A train comes. The barrier hit the car's roof. They drove forward, through the red and broke the arm. I got off my bike, moved the arm to the side, waited for the train to pass and for me to get a green and drove away.
I called as soon as I could to the local police to inform them of the situation. They thought it hit me.

In short, idiots are everywhere and untill they die, they will be a problem.

Don't surprise me. I'm constantly seeing gates on top of cars because no one around here seems to understand what a stop line is.

Back