Sorry to hear that your PDI went so poorly. If you don't mind sharing, what were the problems? Just curious because I have my PDI coming up in a couple weeks and want to know if I should keep my eye out for anything in particular.
Hi Rnolds, I don't want to get into too much detail on what went wrong on this forum. I can message you if you want some details. I do have some advice. The law firm Miller Thompson has taken a very high handed approach. You need to be proactive with them. Make sure that your lawyer has made contact with Miller Thompson and make sure your lawyer understands the process thoroughly. In my opinion, Miller Thompson has intentionally made the process difficult. Their initial communication was via a fax that they said they sent. I have my doubts. Believe it or not that fax has internet links in it that your lawyer needs to use. How bizarre it that? They did this because they were more concerned with PROVING that they sent the instructions rather than making sure that the instructions were properly received and understood. I think this is unethical, but that is my opinion. Long story short. I contacted client care to get the details that my lawyer needed. Their response was my lawyer will give me those details. Very catch 22 stupidity. It turns out that client care couldn't give me those details because of Miller Thompson only gives those details directly to lawyers and they are control freaks. My lawyer didn't get those details because they sent them via an unreliable method ie a fax. Do we really need to hire a private investigator in order to properly deal with Miller Thompson? They need to be more transparent!

This week Gary Switzer sent out a letter stating that they will try to register the building this month or next month. This seems highly unrealistic. My understanding is that the building has to be finished before this is done. I am very concerned that deficiencies are going to land on the desk of our condo corporation and the builder will prematurely walk away. What mechanisms are in place to insure that builder doesn't register this building until everything is complete to our satisfaction?
If the builder pulls off a miracle and gets everything done by the end of August then great then I will be thrilled but if this is a crazy unrealistic time frame then it doesn't help anyone. I think it is irresponsible. I much prefer an honest assessment of the situation then pie in the sky.
Does anyone have a realistic time frame for registration?

Today they announced the installation of the carpet. I would never have imagined they could make so much progress in two weeks. One issue that I have is with my flooring. I paid for the upgraded hardwood and it buckled very badly. Anyone else experiencing floor problems?

This week Gary Switzer sent out a letter stating that they will try to register the building this month or next month. This seems highly unrealistic. My understanding is that the building has to be finished before this is done. I am very concerned that deficiencies are going to land on the desk of our condo corporation and the builder will prematurely walk away. What mechanisms are in place to insure that builder doesn't register this building until everything is complete to our satisfaction?
If the builder pulls off a miracle and gets everything done by the end of August then great then I will be thrilled but if this is a crazy unrealistic time frame then it doesn't help anyone. I think it is irresponsible. I much prefer an honest assessment of the situation then pie in the sky.
Does anyone have a realistic time frame for registration?
I don't think you understand what registration means. The condo finishings can still be in progress, these are two very different processes. Tarion is not connected to the registration of your condo.

I don't think you understand what registration means. The condo finishings can still be in progress, these are two very different processes. Tarion is not connected to the registration of your condo.

WeirdFishes

I think I understand what registration means. What I don't understand is what the criteria for registration are. These are two very different things. However if you put all that aside you will understand that my last question was the substantive question. If I were to bet you $1,000 that registration wouldn't happen until after September 2021 would you take that bet? If you wouldn't then why?
Of course what I am even more concerned about is the final closing but that is the point.
In any case lets talk about Tarion. Our common elements warranty start date is the date of registration. Please think about what this means. Some common element might be completely unfinished and the clock on that warrantied item is already ticking. This is a big deal!

WeirdFishes

I think I understand what registration means. What I don't understand is what the criteria for registration are. These are two very different things. However if you put all that aside you will understand that my last question was the substantive question. If I were to bet you $1,000 that registration wouldn't happen until after September 2021 would you take that bet? If you wouldn't then why?
Of course what I am even more concerned about is the final closing but that is the point.
In any case lets talk about Tarion. Our common elements warranty start date is the date of registration. Please think about what this means. Some common element might be completely unfinished and the clock on that warrantied item is already ticking. This is a big deal!
Good luck with that.

We have a unit on the 13th floor with a tentative occupancy date of August 31st but we have heard nothing and I can't seem to get a response from client service. Just curious if any one else with a penthouse unit has been contacted yet. Thx.

We have a unit on the 13th floor with a tentative occupancy date of August 31st but we have heard nothing and I can't seem to get a response from client service. Just curious if any one else with a penthouse unit has been contacted yet. Thx.
It is very important that you contact your lawyer to insure that they have received occupancy instructions from Miller Thompson.

Got a Unit on the 7th floor, we had our Firm Occupancy Date changed from Aug 17 to Aug 30 (a document was signed) then I got a call yesterday from Client Care saying that the Firm Occupancy has now changed to Sept 17, but they didn't attach or send the Second Notice described in 5(c) of the Tarion addendum. My understanding is that after they have sent a Firm Occupancy date you are entitled to delay occupancy compensation. No mention of how much it is and how to obtain it https://www.tarion.com/node/123

In hind sight late summer registration was pie in the sky. There is so much that still needs to be done. My guess is registration won't happen until the new year. Any thoughts?

In hind sight late summer registration was pie in the sky. There is so much that still needs to be done. My guess is registration won't happen until the new year. Any thoughts?
I imagine it will be months. We haven't received a heads up. There is still plenty to do on the inside and I wonder how complete the exterior needs to be before registration can even be considered.

Has anyone had problems with their balconies and terraces not being the same size as indicated on their original P&S and also not in agreement with the J.D. Barnes survey?

Has anyone had problems with their balconies and terraces not being the same size as indicated on their original P&S and also not in agreement with the J.D. Barnes survey?
They basically took 10% of my terrace and gave it to my neighbour. I thought the drawings on our purchase and sale and the Barnes survey were suppose the definitive reference. Weird that they can just change this without any good reason.

Back