News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

There are whispers in the forecast models that show Calgary hitting 40 on Tuesday or Wednesday.

This summer is going to be… catastrophic. Possibly 11 days above 3 in June, more than twice what we had all last year (or any average year for that matter). Buckle up, we might actually see some rivers in the SW of the province run dry for the first time. Breathing ain't gonna be easy in a couple weeks either, nor will buying agricultural products in the late summer/fall.

Part of southern Washington is forecast to hit 50.

Glad we're getting this rain before the heat parks over us this weekend. I am nervous that this could be fuel for some epic thunderstorms though!

In all my years living in Calgary, I've never known anyone to grow Broccoli before. I didn't know you could grow it here.
It's not as common to see Broccoli grown here, but not really to do with the climate. Calgary's climate is fine for Broccoli as Broccoli actually does better in cooler climates. People in southern US for example grow it in early spring (Feb/March), and then a second crop in the Fall.

It take up a fair bit of space for what you get, and maybe not suitable for backyard gardens, and it tends to be a one and done crop. Most varieties you pick the crown, and it's done. The last couple of years I've been experimenting with different types to see which ones might grow a second crop, etc.. Eventually I'll decide on a particular variety, and grow the plants in stages (so they produce over a staggered period), and also plant them more densely.

Our crop is slowly coming in. beets, onions, potatoes and zucchini. The ol faithful's
20210625_075443.jpg

Good god, this city is stunning.

5E3BB22F-6E0E-46B2-90D6-5508502CAE7E.jpeg

It's not as common to see Broccoli grown here, but not really to do with the climate. Calgary's climate is fine for Broccoli as Broccoli actually does better in cooler climates. People in southern US for example grow it in early spring (Feb/March), and then a second crop in the Fall.

It take up a fair bit of space for what you get, and maybe not suitable for backyard gardens, and it tends to be a one and done crop. Most varieties you pick the crown, and it's done. The last couple of years I've been experimenting with different types to see which ones might grow a second crop, etc.. Eventually I'll decide on a particular variety, and grow the plants in stages (so they produce over a staggered period), and also plant them more densely.
I'm trying Gai Lan this year, as it can be picked multiple times a season. It's essentially the same as broccoli, with a smaller individual plant size.

I’m going to plant some Gai Lan next year. Looks sort of like a cross between bok choy and broccoli and we eat both a fair bit 👍

A few more bits of broccoli (Destiny) coming up. I did a major cut off the top of the broccoli and it took some of the smaller shoots on some of the plants but a couple I noticed some smaller shoots coming up and left them and now they are filling out 👍

C4CCD17F-62F8-4365-8887-DFF426C5619C.jpeg

This other type of broccoli (Atlantis) bolts very quickly but it still keeps giving a little chutes to broccoli. Every time I’m up at the garden I break off a few pieces and eat them, or pick off a few pieces and throw them in a salad. Unlike the stocks on traditional broccoli, these are soft and have quite a bit of taste.
I’ll definitely plant two or three of these again next year.

CABA9366-64D9-4B8D-A3DD-8887AE7C006F.jpeg

The potatoes were planted in trenches and now those trenches are filled in (same effect as hilling them). In a couple of weeks I will do another hilling and hopefully be able to dig some up in mid August.

8740BF4E-4BA4-4891-950B-DD36E019DA59.jpeg

Tomatoes looking solid this year.

50B55369-EAA3-4169-AEA2-7DF49D8E11DA.jpeg

And this guy, belongs to my brother-in-law he had a spare one and asked if I could put it in my garden… seems to be doing really well.
C5549CD9-755F-41FC-B033-2BAFE5D31675.jpeg

The beaches may be flooded, but the beachgoers remain. #heatwave

0753C292-21C5-414E-9381-8069035CA932.jpeg
D5C6836A-6AE2-467F-B33E-B1D229D96B2B.jpeg

Had to sleep in the basement last night, house was sitting right at 30 pretty much all evening. Not looking forward to how warm it will be tonight!
Basement for me too. Had all the windows open last night, but the house only got down to 26C. If we hit 37 or 38 like they are forecasting my place is going to be an oven!

Last edited:

Back