News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The arch stayed dark pretty much all day…

C2426084-D633-46DD-A344-3447452C8078.jpeg

Not our weather but it is directly impacting us.
That torrential rain over the interior of B.C was similar to the 'heat dome' from the summer. Instead of a high pressure system perched over top and not moving, it was a low pressure system with a lot of moisture. Like what happened to Calgary in 2013 when a system sat over top of the Rockies for a couple of days.
The damage to roads, bridges and other structures in going to be enormous. They are saying the Coquihalla, the main route for commercial transportation, could be shut down for months if not a year.

Boy does this deep freeze ever suck, but it’s worth it to get all this moisture into the ground. I do landscaping/snow removal and the pathways are already melting (after being blown/shovelled) so hopefully a lot of the stuff on the grass/trees melts into the ground rather than just runoff.

Boy does this deep freeze ever suck, but it’s worth it to get all this moisture into the ground. I do landscaping/snow removal and the pathways are already melting (after being blown/shovelled) so hopefully a lot of the stuff on the grass/trees melts into the ground rather than just runoff.
I wonder how much ground moisture there is for crops. I don't think we got a lot of snow this winter which was needed after last year's drought conditions through most of the summer. If we don't get some heavy wet snow or steady rain in the spring, there could be a problem.
The world is looking to North America to have a bumper crop (particularly wheat) to help replace what some countries are not going to get from Ukraine and Russia.

We are probably in drought conditions again technically. I mean, there’s already been a brush fire inside the city, and I’m pretty sure over winter we got less than 10% of our normal precipitation. I’ll check that in a sec.

Do farmers sow the fields in fall, or wait to plant until spring? Because if it’s fall, that worries me because some of the seeds would already have germinated over the last month and a half of warmth. Now they’ll die over the next couple days.

Edit: oh dang, well it turns out we are within the margins of normal precipitation for December - March (42 mm vs 47 mm avg). However, over half (24.2 mm) of that fell in February, and March only saw 9.3 mm, slightly over half of average.

Last edited:
Yeah, with the drought last year, the ground is parched. Marginally average precipitation isn’t gonna cut it.

Unfortunately, because of our lack of pipeline capacity and the need to ship oil by rail, a lot of our agricultural products go bad in storage waiting for rail shipment. Hopefully something can be done to remedy that this year, possibly a government intervention to run the rail lines at 120% or something? 🤷🏻‍♂️ With the war essentially eliminating 15 to 20 of global grain exports, we’re gonna need to take some drastic measures.

Back